3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I like the feelings of peace and serenity which bowhunting with trad bows gives me.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I hunt for the meat and enjoyment of the outdoors.

Traditional Archery is the only thing that qualifies as archery to me.

Eric

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I've shot traditional equipment since I was a little kid in the late 60's. I tried shooting a compound and didn't shoot it well so I just stuck with traditional. Never had any problem killing a deer with it so why change.

Offline Tomahawk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
battman, I could not agree more with you!!! Nice poll Mark.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Its fun. I like to see how close I can call them in. And bows are quite. I can bunny and squirrel hunt while sneeking in a stand or while looking for coyotes or deer.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
I chose the thrill, but really it's because it is fun! I enjoy practicing almost as much as hunting. I just love watching the flight of an arrow from a trad bow. I shot with my sons this weekend. Both are currently shooting compounds. My eldest son's bow is so fast, I can't really even follow the flight of the arrow...no fun in that! My youngest wanted to try out his 50 yard pin today, so I shot from there too. First shot at the (cardboard) 2D deer target (uphill) hit about six feet short and skipped into the heart area. We both laughed at that one. Second shot hit about 4" low on the card. The third one was a double lung hit. I kind of had to walk them in because that's about twice as far as I usually shoot. I'd never shoot at game that far, but it was fun to shoot paper that way.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Because there are no shortcuts, no excuses and if I am successful its because of my skill as a hunter!!
"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where your meant to be"
John Lennon

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I started shooting bows way before there were compounds ect. There was an age 8- early teens where the bow and I were one. I could literally throw the bow up and hit anything I wanted too. I truly loved it and still do.
I went through the compound stage and must have owned and shot everyone ever manufactured up to 1990. Then I woke up. I realized that I hunted a full day and never shot my bow. I viewed the  bow as a tool and not a part of me. I was good enough to hit a three inch spot at 90 yards almost every shot and I just was not enjoying archery anymore/.
I got an old Bear Grizzly out of my shop and took her hunting .
That year I killed the first bull elk I ever killed with a stick bow. I have never been thrilled anymore in my bowhunting life. I started shooting and building stick bows and loving every minute of it. Never looked back or wished to have a compound in my hand again.
I can't explain it. I guess its not necessary.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
It's just seems right for me.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
The reason I hunt with a bow at all is because I first loved archery. Then when I was about 11 I saw a copy of Howard Hill's book, HUNTING THE HARD WAY. The "hard way" part of the title stuck with me. I liked the challenge and even today don't like to be told I can't do something (ask Laura). Today, it's still about the challenge but food in the freezer comes before the trophy hunt. If I lived in a Mid western state my goals might be different but here in NH I have evolved to where I tend to let youngsters  walk. But in the late  season if the freezer is empty or not full enough the early Fall's youngsters can't take anything for granted.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Because I go against the grain on nearly every thing I do. Think Beta tape players, Amiga computers and the same wife for 40 years.

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
It seems like there is a built in spirt to a traditional bow,they have a certain feel ,the lines on how it looks. Pick up a compound and to me there is none of that. When we get an old stick bow ,we want to share it with others here on this site. We wonder who owned it ,when it was made,its history. nobodys brags they got an old compound.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I worked in an archery shop for 2 years in college and met one to many anal people talking about how their setups weren't perfect. I realized compound shooters are never satisfied. I got fed up with mine and made the switch to simplicity...

I still smile when my Dad and Brother fiddle around with their sights at 40-50 yards.. I don't remember a time where I had a shot opportunity that far.. Everything is usually inside 25 for me anyways..
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Because I like archery, bow hunting , bows and arrows and all the things that go with it !I dislike compound devices, thier not bows some of them the limbs dont even bow . Recurves and longbows are BOWS. I dont think using them is bowhunting, same as an X gun .That sounds harsh but thats how I feel.We need to convert more compound shooters they are just poor misinformed people that are missing out on all this fun....Tim

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
For me, its cause it takes work.  Anybody can kill with a gun.  Just about everyone can with a compound these days.  Trad archery just makes a person a flat out better hunter...period.  I have a buddy that slays big deer every year with a compound or gun.  Know how many recurve kills he has in his third season of trying.....none.  I don't have enough fingers for all mine.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I hunt just for the thrill of the hunt and the pure joy of being out in nature. The meat is just a bonus.
James Kerr

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
I like simple things.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I started shooting a recurve about a year ago, not really planning to hunt.  I hadn't shot any kind of bow in 20 years.  I wanted to learn the skill part of archery first.  Then at some point I thought "It would be fun to hunt this way".  I've killed deer with a rifle sitting in a deer stand, so now I want to hunt "for real".  Haven't got my first bow kill yet, but I've been close to deer when scouting this month, WOW! It's fun just being close to the animal like that.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I read all these and there are a lot of good stories. I really like Hit-or-Miss's description!  I hunted in high school, in the 80's bought an almost top of the line bow in 89 (York Mojave 65% let off). Went into the service and didn't get back into it again until 2010, took my old York out and missed a scrawney buck at 12 yards from a tree. That winter, I got outfitted with a new Hoyt with all the latest sights and what not. That winter, I watched all the Fred Bear DVDs and decided to try a Bear recurve. I got hooked because it was simple and incredibly challenging at first.

I figured if Fred took all those game with a stick bow, I could too. Sold the new compound and worked my way through various bows, longbows to be exact.  I like the simplicity, the challenge, the need for constant perfection because the shot can fool you in a wink if you are not "on". I joined sites like this and you guys helped out immensely! Still do! I saw how some of you guys shot which amazed me truly and still does!

The device is simple. If you break a string, you do not need to call it a day or a week and head to where there is a replacement and a bow press. In the field repairs are simple. Its art, grace and beauty. It keeps me hungry every day. I never want to give it up, ever.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
It is just plain fun and makes you feel that you have accomplished so much in just seeing game at wolf's range.Sometimes words can't even desribe how you feel,glad to be able to enjoy it with many great frends.Making fond memories isd what its about plus the meats good.  :biglaugh:
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©