3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 500 miles every weekend for a chance at a 150" or more  (Read 1509 times)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 500 miles every weekend for a chance at a 150" or more
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I would probably make the trip a time or two every year, but would spend the majority of my time hunting the local deer. They might not measure as many inches, but are not short on taste.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
Its your time and money, do what YOU want to do.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I say HUNT LOCALLY because you never know that brut just may show up. And if he does (time and money saved) then save the good weekends in November to go farther. Wen maybe you get good moon phases, weather, and activity.
It's a simple compromise.  also. If you feel the drive home is a bummer. Then you're already feeling crappy about that part so you're mentally negative there too....

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
I have my schedule set now, the weekends of 10/26, 11/2 & 11/9 I will be doing 300 mile trips and hunting near an old family farm, it holds some nice ones but also has a little local pressure. I did have a 180"+ within 15 yards there last year but he new something wasn't right and wouldn't step out from the heavy brush. If needed after that the next 2 will be longer 3 day 500 mile round trips further south. During the 300 mile trips my family can go if they want because we stay at my parents house just down the road from the deer woods.

Don't get me wrong, I only travel this far to increase my odds of shooting a big buck but I would be perfectly happy with a nice doe too.
This year I am going to try a ghillie suit & ground hunt only, if I can pull this off I will be happy with anything.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I have 150" whitetails on my property where I live...and I seldom hunt them. I understand a man's desire to follow his passion. I just have very low whitetail interest. Such is hunting.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
350 miles from Houston to Laredo. Made 10 trips last year and as many in 2010. Went every weekend after soccer season ended first week of Nov (I coach two teams for my middle and youngest daughter). Made a couple one day turnarounds leaving after games Saturdays during the season. Was it worth it?

160" free range with a homemade stickbow. Hell yes! But I wont be doing it this year. Gave up this lease to fulfill another lifelong dream. Bought my own hunting property in my home town in Mississippi. 430 miles from Houston. Im leaving in the morning. season opens Monday. Do what makes you happy!

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
If it is your folks place you plan to hunt you might want to stay home this season.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
They have been seeing a lot of deer this year Katie, maybe it hasn't moved up that far? I sure don't like what I am hearing further south though.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Man I hope they miss it!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
If your wife thinks you are 'crazy' then she doesn't really dig the idea.

Happy wife = happy life.

But you personally have to make that decision. I feel guilty sometimes even hunting near the house because I so rarely see my wife and kids with how much I work.

My wife doesn't want me to feel guilty and strongly encourages me to hunt but sometimes it is tough not to feel that way. 500 miles would be out of the question for me.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
In my younger days, I went that far to get on the nest, theese days I would go hunting.(you still have the rest of the week to do that)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
I would go that far but only if I can make 4 day weekends and really hunt hard when I am there. Otherwise 2 day weekends, I would not!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
Fortunately/Unfortunately I do it every weekend october through mid-december(and for the record I've never been close to a 150" deer  :dunno:  ). Closer to 600mi with the to and from hunting spots, but couldnt be happier or more grateful. Great friends a ton of deer and beautiful country. Plus being from the great state of Mass. I'd miss out on sunday hunting if I stayed here:mad:   I do love the Hudson Valley!!!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©