3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Motorcycles and Longbows----My Solution  (Read 417 times)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Motorcycles and Longbows----My Solution
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I've been trying different ways to haul my 1pc longbows on my bike and I think I've finally found a method that works great, at least on my bike.

I ride all year round and stop at the range most days right from the job. I got a Molle Shotgun Scabbard off the auction site. They run $30 to $35 or so. They come with metal D-Rings and a sling, which I remove, and are well padded. We've been having some ugly weather lately and my baby is dirty, but she's getting a bath and polishing this Tuesday!

I picked-up a couple carabiners at Home depot and some zip-ties.

One carabiner goes up top on the backrest frame. I leave this one loose so I can move it around to adjust for different bags I carry.

The other one goes down on the upper frame tube, this keeps the scabbard high enough that it is against the hard parts of the bike when bungied down so the padding is protecting the bow.

This is what the scabbard looks like. I'm thinking about attaching one of my molle mag pouches to it to carry accessories, armguard etc...

Here's how she rides with just my arrow tube.

This is loaded with my gear and Maxpedition Jumbo EDC bag I carry most all the time. I'll have no trouble hauling my hunting gear with this set-up.

I can easily just slide the bow out or simply un-clip the scabbard and carry the bow with it on. Nothing is in the way while riding, the bow is well protected. This is the simplest rig I have come up with and am very happy with how it works. I was about to sell my Shelton since I couldn't shoot it on a regular basis due to the hassle of hauling it. She'll be staying with me now!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Motorcycles and Longbows----My Solution
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
LOL, cool. Great rig. You remind me of a hunt with a friend when I was in the eigth grade. We went on his motorcycle. Way on top of a huge bald mountain near Lolo Montana I shot a buck. He went down the mountain and managed to get that motorcycle up there. We tied the deer on the motorcycle with the hind legs on each side of the gas tank and the head hanging off of the rear of the bike. Then we sat on top of the deer and started down that mountain. No roads mind you. I think we crashed a dozen times getting down that mountain, but didn't hurt anything. We did get some awesome looks going through town though.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I'd like to have seen that, from a distance!    :laughing:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Great set up.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Hey Danny, Like the set up.  The only small thing I might suggest is that you go ahead and spend the cash on a couple decent carabiners.  Some that are actually built for climbing and handeling weight!  I know a bow does not weigh much but I've seen those inexpensive carabiners break pretty easily sometimes if they are flexed the wrong way.  I'd hate to see you damage your bow due to something like that!!  You can pick up decent locking carabiners for $10-$15 or maybe even less.  Just a thought.

Maybe you should just add a 4-5 foot late 60's style sissy bar to your bike...then you could just strap the bow, arrows, a couple racoon tails and maybe an American flag to it and be really stylin'!!!

P
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »

This is my setup, all my archery stuff travels with me on my trailer. Has all the room and ability to camp, travel and hunt with my H-D. I have a rack for my girl friends bike and archery equipment as well. We use it for traveling to our favorite 3-d matches. It's obvious the simplicity and costs of Danny's setup has great merit, but I must say we love fuction and ability to use the cycle and enjoy it much more.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
If I were quite a bit younger, this is the way I would go.  Syure looks like fun to me.  I would insist on a windscreen though--no bugs etc. in the tee5th for me.

Joe

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Good idea!

Just know that a little to much sun on those zip ties and they become brittle as potato chips and will break at the slightest pull.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Nice Danny...I pack mine on the bike for some summer 3d's.  Not sure about taking it hunting?  Our PA deer are small but not that small!   :jumper:

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

Here's the TW 200 I used to use (It's gone now) it was a bout the most usefull machine I've owned.  I used the black abs tube attached to the passenger foot chain gaurd, and the top to the utility rack.  I could carry my fishing rod, a gun, or a bow in that tube.  Cheap and easy to make too.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I have a basic trailer, 40" x 48" flat bed, single axle. I hope to have it rigged for hauling this week. If not I can use the utility vehicle from the job to get a deer home if I get lucky.

Iscreagle, very nice rig! That's the way to do it in style and comfort on 2 wheels. I expect to have a more travel friendly rig by next years 3D shoots.

Mike, that's the style bike I'd have for sure if I could get off the road where I hunt. Those are a lot of fun.

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Some antlers mounted to the front of the bike are a must.  Just to set it off I would use a nice nontypical rack.  Love it man.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Here's the wife and I on our way home from a shoot. Bow's are in a pocket on the back of our back quivers

Like this

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Ron, excellent mod to a quiver! I might do something like that as a winter project.

I have a back quiver with a pocket that fits a 2pc, but a couple of my favorite bows are 1pc.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Awesome guys - I especially like the black bear hat.
TommyBoy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©