3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever wonder how you look in the woods?  (Read 673 times)

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever wonder how you look in the woods?
« on: August 11, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
After our recent hunt it got me to thinking about how i appear to animals out in the field. Most see only black and white....except for those turkeys!!! So i changed these photos to b&w to see....these certainly blend well into the surroundings.

But I was thinking....hmmm who am i really hiding from? I love the looks of camo and of course greens but i am seriously thing about making some clothes out of different shades of grey.

They would help with other hunters being able to see me and not "accidently" shooting me while still helping to keep me camoflauged from the critters.

Anyone else wear greys instead of the modern real tree camo greens?

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever wonder how you look in the woods?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm starting to get stuff to make a gray ghillie suite, heck the American Indians didn't use real tree camo

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Lance & mysticguido
I read somewhere on turkey hunting most of the old timers wore grey. They said it did not reflect light with the green tree canopy. For the life of me I can't remember were I read it.
Cool pics THANKS for sharing.

Mike    :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Lance....what you are wearing blends very well. The soft rounded edges don't create an outline.  Besides that....you look like the Sherrif of Nottingham   ;) .  Camo is mainly for people's eyes.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
I've bowhunted in bluejeans and a flanel shirt and took deer...and i'm sure a lot of people have, The gray suit idea is great, but i like the stuff you've got on in the picture above...
Can you imagine what the wheel bows would say if you showed up to check one in in that!! I would pay money to here that conversation!
I like that robin hood camo above, thats the coolest camo yet!!!  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline fflintlock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I usally wear what's in season. Depending on the time of the year and what kind of woods I'm hunting in. Shades of greens, browns, blacks, greys, reds, oranges, even yellows, when fall hits and the leaves change. The main thing is to do just what you have done, blend in, break up your silloute, something at your back so you don't stand out like a sore thumb. Course I have been caught out in the open before by a couple of deer and just froze there, kinda hunched over and the wind was right. Even though my knee was shake'n a hundred mile an hour, along with my heart, they never paid no mind to me. I had on charcoal grey trousers and a forest green shirt and a brown fedora. I like to wear "casual" clothing when hunting, I beleive they are a lot more comfortable, to me any way. I'm not all that big on commercial camo.
 As far as being dressed like you are, we use to wear our 18th century clothing,(French & Indian War period), for hunting and trekking in the woods, or canoe floats down the rivers. people would freak out when they saw us. You should see how they acted when they saw some of the "Naytives" of the time period, you talk about leaving the scene in a hurry, man it was a hoot. Some folks would walk up and ask what we were doing and what we were. We would start out mess'n with them and then come clean. But you do get some looks, I'll tell ya that. Run into a game warden one time and he was a bit speechless at first, that he took a wrong turn some where and winded up in the twilight zone LOL!!!
Jerald

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
One of my absolute FAVORITE early season tops is a Columbia synthetic pullover in just a light green/almost grey.  It has some windstopper thing in it, and a hood.  It's almost like a darn golf pullover!

I shot at two deer in it last year in one day.  One at four yards (hit a tiny stick in the thicket I was kneeling in) and one at 11 yards that wandered up on me in an open bowl about 20 yards across in the woods.  She played "what are you" with me for about 3 minutes before taking a step--I drew, shot, and put it right through her backstrap...just too close and shot too high...

I love that thing!!!

My second favorite are the columbia/cabelas outfitter style camo in subtle, muted camo colors...not the new high-definition (and too dark!!) stuff on the market.

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Here's a red/black buffalo plaid coat, and a green/black plaid shirt:

Offline casjoker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I think one of the most effective patterns I have used are the old style red/black and green black wool coats.  I have had stand there and just stare for 20+ minutes.  I also like the Predator stuff.  I like bigger patterns.  I think the new stuff is designed more for us than the deer.  I also us my old fatigues during early season because of all the green in them.
If you are the only one laughing it wasn't funny.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Nice looking bow, too, Lance!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline BillyBobHowdieVern

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
dang lance i almost missed you i that first pic. only that strand of gray gave you away....    :bigsmyl: .....sorry i just couldn't help myself.....   :help:

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
The thing that got me to thinking about this was because right before i went on the hog hunt i heard another one of those stories where an archer was shot because he was wearing full camo and was stalking through the woods.

Make sure to go to George D. Stout's thread about is it now or then...in those he changed some photos from color to b & W. (i dont have any photos of me in modern camo!)

So it was neat to see what it looks like....notice also how blue jeans just blend!!!

and Gene yer just jealous that ya dont own such a purty bow!    :D  

and John i dont realize just how much grey i have until i see photos!    :scared:  

anyone else have some photos you can turn from color to b & w and post to see how they look?
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Not to start an argument but how do we know that is how animals see. I read something a while back that they dont see B/W but colors and maybe colors we cant see. I believe it said shades of blue and green looked florescent.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Jim  my understanding is it has to do with the number of rods and cones in the eyes. To see color you need a certain number of them. Most everything but birds don't have them. Birds do.I think dogs do too.

Ever notice that all the major prey animals, deer, rabbits, mice, and squirrels are shades of grey and white? Natural camoflage against predators.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
I also didn't want to chime in on the "can deer see color" aspect, but from what I have read--not blogs like this, but from degreed biologists--deer can see hues of blue.

They can also "see" the base of the dyes in clothing...which is most prevalent in the really cheap stuff.  The technical term of that chemical escapes me right now....

As for getting shot?  I'm WAY more concerned about getting shot in a one-color monochromatic shirt than full camo!  That "light shade of grey" or "light shade of green" is much more easy to think of as a deer torso when you stop between two trees and some idiot sees motion...and if he has any clue of what a deer looks like in the woods, he pretty much knows that even though they have "one shade of brown" over white, that "brown" changes in the shadows.

So does a one-color top.

And as for orange--I get as many deer in close in full blaze orange as I do with my bowhuntin' stuff...

Just my two cents...
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
Years ago i watched a video on the effects of antler size on bull moose and elk in the rut. they called in these animals and waved different sized racks at them from a distance and got different responses from the same bulls. It was proven the bulls were more aggressive and came closer when the smaller antlers were used...then they called some in and stood up slowly using camo, vs solid color clothing.....the sold color clothing in the shape of a man consistently scared off the bulls, where a cammo, or plaid pattern breaking up their body pattern wasn't detected near as quickly. it was a good piece of film. I've done the same test myself with deer and elk. using a plaid shirt, predator cammo, and solid colors....the solid color is detected muck quicker in all cases. i won't even speculate on the color thing....or UV detection in some fabrics....but breaking up your body pattern is more important than color....it's a proven fact.....you wouldn't catch me hunting elk in a brown or grey solid color.....good way to get on the receiving end of a broad head if ya ask me.....Kirk

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
I remeber reading somewhere a while back that the best camo pattern is no pattern at all. Maybe that's why ghillie suits are so effective...
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 03:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Artur:
I remeber reading somewhere a while back that the best camo pattern is no pattern at all, meaning that straight lines and square edges are rarely encountered in nature. Maybe that's why ghillie suits are so effective...
Dang, I meant to edit, not quote....
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
if you want to see what a deer sees, put your stuff on and stand under a buglight for a pic. Some might be surprized.
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©