3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KUIU Vias for Hunting Whitetail  (Read 293 times)

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
KUIU Vias for Hunting Whitetail
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
The Kuiu Vias camouflage pattern reminds me of the old Winona knit camo pattern - great pattern!

With that said, I'm thinking about purchasing some Kuiu clothing for hunting whitetails and I would appreciate opinions from folks who have or are currently using Kuiu for hunting deer particularly from a treestand.

What do you prefer; the Attack or Guide series and why. . . thank you in advance for responding.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KUIU Vias for Hunting Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
You might also look at Kuiu's new Verde pattern.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Have the whole set.  Guide series is a little noisy for whitetails out of a tree.  You can do it, but I prefer fleece or wool.  The Vias camo is just as good as Predator or Asat.  Had a little fork horn last year at the base of my tree looking right at me and he never blew.  Kuiu is awesome gear, but it's meant for the mountains.  There are better options for treestands IMO.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Been using KUIU exclusively now for a season and a half(used prototypes for the late season '10), and the Vias pattern for treestand whitetails is outstanding!

Just think about what it looks like when you look up into treetops, a lot of light/ dark contrast right?  Thats what makes the Vias so effective, deer look "through" you.

Attack pants are all I've used with Guide Jackets as outer clothing, but now that I have a pair of the new Guide pants...I'm sure looking forward to using them when it gets a little colder.

As far as quiet.....They all get softer with washings,especially the Guide series clothing. After a couple of washings they become  a lot "softer". They may not be "church mouse" quiet like wool, but they are far, far what I'd consider "noisy". It's never been a factor, not even a thought about it. I've killed 4 deer wearing my guide jackets.

Now if you want an option with a slightly less contrast and an over all slightly darker appearance...then the new Verde pattern is worth looking at.  I have 2 185 shirts in Verde and it's great. I should have pants and jacket on the way as soon as Jason gets them in. Really looking forward to hunting in Verde!

Both patterns are outstanding with superb contrast!

Slim, I know you've hunted some in Sitka Optifade...but to me... Vias and Verde are much better camo patterns.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
X2 What Curt said.  I just received the new verde crew top and I'm very impressed with how it looks in the woods now.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
My ONLY complaint about KUIU.....I CAN'T EVER get ANY!!!  :banghead:  Seems like they are ALWAYS out of the color or size that I want. BUT...I guess that's what happens when you have a great quality product. I'd love to try some KUIU, and I'm sure I will sometime soon...I hope!
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
What Curt said!! X3
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback.

NBK, nice buck in your avatar.

Curt, thanks for jumping in. I agree with your assessment and comparison between Sitka Optifade verses Kuiu Vias/Verde. I recently purchased the Merino 250 in the Vias pattern, though a little scratchy, I do prefer the Vias pattern verses Optifade for certain situations.

Thanks again everyone and shoot straight !

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Is the KUIU clothing Gortex?
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
when I look at their website I see thid  • DWR finish (Durable Water Repellent) helps bead water from fabric surface

Personally I've notice a big difference in "water repellent" versus "water proof"....  I've hunted in hard downpours all day long in Gortex (labeled waterproof) and stayed quite dry. I'm just leary of water repellent especially for the price of the KUIU clothing.

That being said I know NO clothing is 100% waterproof but from personal experience I find it tough to beat Gortex & Dry-plus.

Those with KUIU experience, How does their DWR do in comparison? I like the looks of the clothing.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
If you want waterproof in the Kuiu line, you have to get the Chugach Jacket and Pants. Kuiu is top of the line. I'm wearing the Attack Pants right now, just like I do everyday. I also have almost everything else Kuiu has made, and it's all great!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Allan do you like the new pattern?  I live it and think it will out sell the other it looks so good in the woods.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Do they make Fat Guy Stuff? 3x tall
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Curt hit the nail on the head. The guide stuff is water repellent whereas the Chugach is waterproof. The guide with get you through light rain or snow but when the sky opens up throw on the actual rain gear. I have or have had everything kuiu offers and I love it all! Just basically ordered a who new line with the verde pattern
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks Allan... I'll have to check out the Chugach Jacket and Pants!!  I think that would be what I would opt for.

Online Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by NBK:
Have the whole set.  Guide series is a little noisy for whitetails out of a tree.  You can do it, but I prefer fleece or wool.  The Vias camo is just as good as Predator or Asat.  Had a little fork horn last year at the base of my tree looking right at me and he never blew.  Kuiu is awesome gear, but it's meant for the mountains.  There are better options for treestands IMO.
A couple of days ago, I received the Kuiu Guide DCS Jacket in the Verde camouflage pattern. The Guide jacket is a top quality jacket and the Verde camouflage looks awesome. However I will agree with NBK in that there are better options for hunting whitetails out of treestands. The material is a little too noisy for my taste, but for its intended application (mountain hunting), the stuff would be awesome!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
I think as you were it it will soften some, but never like fleece or wool.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Wash it a couple times and the more you wash and wear it....the softer/quieter it gets...

I've been using KUIU since the proto-types were out and have killed whitetails in dead-still teen temps with deer about right under me here in NY....

.....To the ultra, ultra spooky whitetails in TX...up close and personal and have never had a deer or any critter spook on me from any noise on the draw. I've killed 3 Tx whitetails while wearing it.

Like I said....not as quiet as wool.....but my experience tells me, that it's more than quiet enough.

Got my Verde pants and jacket this weekend and I really like the pattern!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
It works great on hogs and deer in Georgia, on the ground or out of trees.  i got the new pattern last week. Right now, i like the original pattern better but i do like the new one.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Curt,
What do you wash your guide series stuff with?  I've been using the Nikwax sport wash cause it supposedly helps restore the DWR finish, but it's a bit spendy to keep washing with over and over again.  One of the reasons I haven't washed mine many times is simply because it's actually hard to get the stuff really dirty!  Wore it for a hard week of chasing elk and it hardly looked used.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©