3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big knives and small game  (Read 400 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big knives and small game
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
There's been a lot said against carrying a big knife in the woods. Actually there are times when a big blade comes in handy. There must have been a reason that the early Mountainmen carried them, you can skin anything from a mouse to a moose with a big blade. Works pretty good for dressing squirrels too...   ;)  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big knives and small game
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
A few more of them and you got a crock pot full!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Saw this same thread over on another site.  Ron seems to have had lots of experience with these large knives over the years and I'm sure he is quite expert with them.  For my own use though, I am much more comfortable with a smaller knife like his "Skinner" blade.  I do not own one of Ron's knives yet, but when I do buy one, it will be his skinner knife.  Looks like the perfect knife for what I do.

Joe

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
I love knife pics.  Big blade great for chopping little critters legs off.  Looks like you made a clean heart lung shot right behind shoulder.  About time to fire up the crock pot.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
A big knife does makes lobbing off the feet and heads of small game an easy job.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
You can do what you have to do with a smaller knife. You can "EVERYTHING" you need to do with a BIG one. But that's just me......   :wavey:    :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
No crock pot for me when it comes to cooking squirrels. Flour, season then brown in a cast iron pan in bacon grease. Add a little liquid then cover and put in a 350*. oven for 3/4 of an hour or until the meat is tender.

Make gravy from the drippings and serve with mashed potatoes.

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I have always prefered a 3" to 4"  blade. The thinking being anything more is just a waste or compensating for one's short commings. But Ron you do presnt a good argument. Besides that is just one cool looking knife.

John
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
that looks good..gonna have to try squirl one day...kill them and give them to my friends but no more
PS. over the years reading your threads and specially about food..you got to write a cookbook about the game you killed and ate..would help the youngsters and ol timers alike to eat like you do Mr. Ron  :goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Looks like a deer track in your potatoes there, Ron...
I've never eaten squirrel(we only have the little red ones) but man that looks good. So does the knife. Love the finger grooves in the handle.
I don't have one, but a big knife is in my future. I agree, if a mountain man carried one, it's gotta be a necessity on the trail.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I think a big knife can still have finesse. A Marbles Trailmaker comes to mind. I also think big knives were a necessity on the frontier as a weapon once they fired their rifles, its utility was just an added bonus.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
I might also say that you guys up north must have way bigger squirrels than we do in Florida.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I take it we're not having tree rats in camp this year since you're eating them as fast as you're getting them???    :rolleyes:  

p.s.  Nice lookin vittles buddy.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline arsurveyor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Your making me hungry........

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Bacon grease....cooking's elixir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
 I might also say that you guys up north must have way bigger squirrels than we do in Florida.  
Yes we do Jon, we've got one up here called the Saber Tooth squirrel. It takes a big heavy blade to cut through the hide. They're tough to kill and you have to boil em for 5 hours to get em tender enough to eat...   :rolleyes: ...   :bigsmyl:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Good looking grub, that saber-tooth looks like the ones around camp...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
This makes me really want to go shoot some squirrels. I've never ate one but the next chance I get I will. Thanks Ron
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Yeah, you just HAD to go and post that picture of squirrel, gravy, and smashed taters, huh, Ron?    :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Squirrel is some mighty fine eatin! I was raised eatin em. The gray squirrels especially. Some of the Fox Squirrels taste like terpintine.   :eek:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©