3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Munchy Games!!  (Read 635 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Munchy Games!!
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
As many of you know Chris Kinslow, Gary Norris and I had plans to open the Missouri deer season on the farm of our recently deceased buddy Mark Harris.

It was going to be a little weird hunting there without Mark. He, Gary and I had shared camps across most of this country. As many critters as had graced our game poles, the stories connected with them were legion.

Chris is the youngster of the group but in his short association with Mark had developed a love of the guy like Gary and I had.
He also has included his two young sons in as many of our adventures as has been convenient to their busy young lives.

They've certainly absorbed a little lore from us old timers and more than a few new "words" have been added to their vocabularies... much to the chagrin of Chris and his wife.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Munchy Games!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Oooh! Should I pop some corn?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
We all arrived on the Friday evening before the opener the next morning. It was as I had suspected it would be. We all missed our buddy, but for me at least his spirit seemed to be there with me, smiling that impish grin and watching over me. Somehow it made things o.k.

We made our plans that night. Chris and I had made a quick tour of the farm checking for sign in all the places we'd found it in the past.

The Burr Oaks were barren for the most part. All that remained under the oak where I'd shot a doe last year were the dried husks of acorns she'd fed on before my arrow found it's mark.

The pear trees Chris had found in his early explorations of the farm held no fruit this year. There were acorns on the Shingle Oaks we found. It's an oak that I wasn't familiar with as they don't seem to occur in the areas I typically hunt.
It has a spear shaped leaf not at all like the lobed black, red and white oak leaves.

A few of the tiny acorns had fallen and it was obvious the deer nibbled on them in passing. Nothing indicated the deer were focusing on them.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
:campfire:    :clapper:    :clapper:  another one of Charlie's stories, I can't wait till I get home !
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
After putting our heads together that evening, it was decided that Gary and I would concentrate on one of Mark's main food plots where the clover seemed to have weathered the oven like temperatures of the past summer.
Chris would head over to the northern boundary of the farm to a spot we call the scrape road for the prolific scraping that takes place there later in the year.
There is a ladder stand there that had given up a fat doe for him last year. It could work again as a heavy trail led past it from a bean field to the north to heavy bedding cover to the south.

I'll give the others a chance to chime in. Besides , I've got deer meat waiting to be processed and wrapped.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I hunted the scape road on Sunday morning and had a wonderful time.  The woods was beautiful and I was as comfortable as a guy could be sitting in my stand. I was using a millennium tree seat with a wooden ladder platform stand.

Here was my view of the scrape road and my bow.  This is Mark's old bow and I put up a post a few weeks back about having it redone to use as a tribute bow.  

I was hoping to christen it in right this morning.  I was starting to think I wasn't going to see anything at 8 am when suddenly I heard a doe blowing above me which was upwind of my position.  I was confident with the follage and the wind direction it wasn't me that had alerted her.  I stood up and readied myself.  About 5 minutes later I was thinking about sitting down when I looked over my shoulder and saw a doe walking up the scrape road.  I readied for the shot using my typical routine.  I often draw when a deer is behind a tree in order to minimize my detection as well as it puts me at full draw without any sight picture of the deer.  She walk into my sight picture and the arrow was away.  It almost seemed too easy as my mind was already telling myself what a great shot I was making.  It did look perfect right until the point it hit the deer with a loud CRACK!!!!

The deer was off like a scalded dog and I was left with the disturbing image of my arrow that had not penetrated much of her shoulder blade.

I was shooting a 56# bow with beaman arrows weighing sporting a 100 grain insert, 125 grain steel adapter, and 165 grain Simmons treeshark.  I'm not lacking for FOC but it wasn't much of match for her shoulder blade.  I regret to say that despite 3-4 hours of tracking in the morning and another 1 hour later that afternoon we followed a diminshing blood trail that eventually stopped. I was sick and still am that I made a hit that didn't put her down. Heavy bone isn't forgiving and while my shot location was only 2 inches from being perfect it was still 2 inches from its intended mark. This is not how I wanted the first shot with Mark's bow to go. But like real life, hunting doesn't always have the perfect ending.  My hope is the does wound will heal and I will see her again.  

Feeling dejected after losing my doe I was greated by my two son's Charlie and Alex.  They have the amazing ability to put things in prospective. It was exactly the medicine I needed. They can always make me laugh and take my own life less seriously.  Here is a picture of them on a spring turkey hunt we had.  They were as happy holding up the decoy as if it had been a real live turkey.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Tuned in!

Bisch

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
All right guys! I didn't even know Charlie was here! Would have came up and saw you guys!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
That would have been grand Ben. I think your name came up around camp a couple of times. Some of it was even nice.
   :D  

My own adventures this weekend would be rather dull for the most part... at least for those reading my account of it. Except for the occasional fox squirrel I saw nothing. The mornings were grand as were the evenings in the woods.
It ended up being about camp times and close friends and maybe that's the great part of any hunt.

I love messing with the little guys. A lot of stuff goes over there little heads, but enough registers that I'm pretty sure they'll remember "Big Charlie" long after I'm gone.

It'll probably go something like, "Hey! Do you remember that crazy old fat man when we were boys?"
That'd be good enough for me.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Ben,

Sorry I didn't invite you. My bad! However the stove does have an open flame so I didn't want to risk any spontaneous flame ups from a gas leak...like you  :)

I may try to get down to Snow's on Saturday night or Sunday with the boys.  Wife is at another horseshow this weekend.
CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Come on down Chris it will be good to see You and the boys. I've got to warn You though I think camp will be loaded with little girls. I'm bringing My grandaughter and I think Ben's bringing a couple of his.

bretto

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©