3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Munchy Games!!  (Read 634 times)

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Munchy Games!!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Great story guys, looking forward to the rest!

:campfire:
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Online stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Classic Charlie!    :campfire:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Good call Chris  :)  you guys are having way too much fun over there. I need to get back out there... soon
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
:coffee:    :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
It may be classic Charlie, but it ain't me you're waiting on. The real story here is for Gary and Chris to tell.

I will say that the little bunk house we based our hunt from is like a shrine to Mark's hunting life. He was a man of some means and an eye for gear big or small.

We ended up looking through a little repair kit that sat on his desk. The stuff in that box was priceless for anyone who knew Mark.

A dozen old Bear Razorheads held down one end of the kit. Their edges rough from a file which had given a place for rust to start. A little Bear Archery file in it's plastic sheath lay there with them.

There were packages of heat shrink nocking points that Mark loved. He'd bought out the entire supply of a local dealer knowing they'd become hard to get.

There were also packages of large and small Magnus
bleeder blades in there and a handful of Magnus I heads to boot.
A small pink slip of paper in one pack had instructions for using the bleeders in Magnus blunts.

A bin of old arrows stood over near the TV. I recalled how Mark had given me all of the 2216 aluminums that had been in that bin the last time we were together.

I'd really like to have a keep sake from my buddies gear. Something to carry with me when I hunt. I hate the thought of asking Anne. Kind of feel like some kind of vulture this soon.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

It'll probably go something like, "Hey! Do you remember that crazy old fat man when we were boys?"
That'd be good enough for me.
    :thumbsup:  
Classic quote!  Love it!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
It was truly a weekend that I guess I was not looking forward to.  The first weekend hunt of the new Deer season at Harris' place, without him.  Charlie was the first to arrive and I was second.  I walked into the bunkhouse and Lamb greeted me with , " I was just sitting thinking of Harris and the great times we have had here. "  Harris never hunted, he just enjoyed all of his friends being there and hunting.  He would always have a great dinner for us when we came back and just laugh his great laugh at our stories.  He had done a remarkable job with the farm and put in so many hours, for us to enjoy. As we came in from the first nights hunt, I told Charlie that ," I was upset with Harris, because he left us.
I guess it finally hit me that he wasn't there with us physically.

Happy Trails to you Mark.

Gary

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Chris' sons, my favorite grandsons, Charlie and Alex were shooting their longbows made by Big Charlie Lamb when I realized that the number one target for beginners was very close.  Bull Frogs.  All I had to say was , "Do you guys want to try to get a frog. "  Their entire being changed.  they turned into hunters.  As Charlie said,  "you have changed them forever. "  Many of us made our first bow kill on a bull frog.  As you can imagine, the hunt was on.      They were flinging arrows left and right.  We would pass up the little ones and go for the big.  Alex was the first to sorta get one.  He pinned it down.  I told Charlie to make a good shot and we would have the first one.  He did.     Number one was in the bag.  When they realized that they could actually get a frog they really got serious.  It was great fun.  They were shooting.  Chris and I were fishing arrows out of the water and Big Charlie was cleaning frogs.  All in all,  they killed 4.  Since they are 7 and 5 years old,  I was very proud of them.  Charlie put them in the skillet and we ate them right out of the pan.    
It was a great day.  
Thanks to Mark we were able to have that day.  He was and is still a great friend.  We will always appreciate the work he did for us.
Always hold your friends and family close.

Thanks Mark,  Gary

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Gary,

I'll always remember a moment with Mark.  

We were working on some the deer habitate improvement.  Hinge cutting trees for bedding areas and cutting out trails.  We were taking a break and I was making some small talk and asked him if he was going to go antelope hunting this fall.  Mark had lots of antelope mounts on the wall in the bunk house.  He said "NO" "I won't go on another antelope hunt".  I was kinda suprised by the certainty of his answer.

I asked him why not and he said he just wanted to focus on making this farm a place his friends and their family could come out and hunt.  It struck me then that Mark wasn't doing all this work for himself.  He wanted his grandson, my son's, and his friends to have a place to come to and have a good time.

Pretty cool!

CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
:campfire:     :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Great stuff guys!!  Those boys won't forget the great frog hunt and eatin the game right there!!  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
It's funny how kids can really make you see the greater good in life.  I was a bit bummed about the doe until I stepped out of the bunkhouse and saw the boys down at the water's edge with Gary.  I instantly could tell something was up...something fun! My mood switched from brooding to enthusiastic.  Soon I was running to get the camera in hopes of catching a few images.

I am a bowhunter today because of the influence of Charlie and Gary.  Besides raising his daughter as a true tom-boy its the best gift Norris has ever given me.  If my boys decide to be bowhunters I'll be thrill.  If not that will be fine too.  But it won't be because we failed to let them experience the fun of fling an arrow out of a wooden bow.   :)

Charlie told me he would keep my boys in bows as long as they showed interest. I think he still has their interest...and it's growing!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I added a couple of photos to the post guys. Looks like I have a little work to do on photo sizing.
   :banghead:  

Like Gary said, the boys did very well on the frogs and I knew from the first shot they took that the die was cast.

I can remember Gary and I giving the frogs hell in our youth. At the time we used lights and waited till sundown for our sport. The boys will have time for that in years to come.

The past ten years or so frogs have been hard to come by and I'm not sure what has happened. Used to be that just about every farm pond around had it's fair share.
Heck! I've got a one acre pond on my place that should have a ton of the little green beggars and I'm lucky to hear one on a summer night... and he doesn't last all summer.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »

Fun stuff! I think he was getting cocky at this point!

Notice the differences in the outfits.  Charlie wants to look the part of a hunter.  My youngest son Alex...I'm not sure what look he was after!

Norris,  Thanks for getting them started with this.  At least I can blame you when he tells his teacher about killing frogs.    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
Looks like Alex is wearing your old boots there Chris   :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
:laughing:    I'm loving this thread, thanks for sharing guys.  Looking forward to getting up there soon myself.
Blaze out your own trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©