3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full of bull 2012 (pic update on 6)  (Read 1248 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
Full of bull 2012 (pic update on 6)
« on: September 25, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
My season started out rather rough. My "bowyer", who has made me a couple of bows and been a good friend got first dibs.  Three days for just him to finally get his first elk with a bow.  We made a go of it two years ago for a day, and he couldn't connect on several opportunities.  But, this year was to be different!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full of bull 2012 (pic update on 6)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
There must be more.......   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
:campfire:
James Kerr

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
After getting my wheelie friends out of the way, Bill (names have been changed to protect the guilty) and I headed up for a three day hunt.  It started out bad, having to not leave the house till 6 in the morning due to family issues on his side, getting us a start hunting time of roughly noon after getting camp up and such.  

After some doing and alot of work we had multiple missed opportunites on good bulls.  The elk were really coming in for us, but he just couldn't quite get set up in the right spot, or draw at the rigth time, etc... Finally, after throwing two arrows over the back of the same bull at a dozen yards, Bill was starting to see it as his fate.  Eventually he went home, stating that it was the time of his life, having drawn his bow more in that time than the rest of his trips put together.  I am still bummed we couldn't make it work.

Mixed in here was one of the most incredible experiences I've had in the elk woods, and I've had a few.

While calling to a bull that was out front of us and with the wind right I suddenly haerd a bunch of cow calling and hard running thumps behind me.  Twisting my head backward I got a glimpse of a giant of a bull running down through the sagebrush hillside we just crossed, mewing constantly.  He came into the aspen grove I was kneeling in with all the enthusiasm of a bird dog on opening day, headed right at me.  He had me pinned! Though I was there to get my buddy his bull, I decided right off I was shooting this bull if I get the chance.  With anxious trepidation I slowly pulled an arrow out of my quiver and got ready, and somehow he never noticed.  Problem was he didnt stop either.  Walking stiff legged and chuckling staccato thumps under his breath he approached me till he was standing directly beside my frame at a yard, kneeling and slightly trembling in pure joy.  Looking down the hill the same way I was facing we sat there like we were watching a show together on a sofa, me just waiting for him to make the next move. We sat on the hill like that for what seemed like an eternity, as everyone of our senses were at their peak, me wallowing in the smell and presence of a mature rutting bull with in arms length and waiting for him to overcome his hormones and smell my sweaty human flesh.  Eventually,  my left eye and his right eye made contact, though he weighed 800 lbs plus, he found that to be unnerving.  Slowly turning to leave as if he was honestly reluctant to do so, he took a few steps dead away from me, still confused where that cow went.  As he was leaving I tensed my bow arm and got ready to spin and draw.  Mindlessly, I mewed a short and ever so soft cow call through my nose.  

Upon hearing that sound of his lost date down the hill he spun like on a top, facing me again, and reached down from somewhere in those massive lungs, letting rip a high pitched and mournful scream that undualted up and down with all the urgency of a husband watching his wife go out on the town.  As his breath rolled from his lips I could literally feel it on the back of my neck, the vibrations of sound pounding into my skull.  MY ears were absolutley ringing and my nerves  completely shot.  

I decided right there that I could be done for ever.  My life complete.   With the bull unawares, he literally connected with my spirit on a level I previously only thought could be accomplished by seraphim gurading the throne.

More confused and worked up then I have ever seen a bull he finally turned to leave again, I was however in no position mentally to kill this bull, thouhg I figured I'd give her a go.  Good thing that he walked dead away to 35 yards, never giving me a shot, glunking and peeing all over the place on the way.  He hung out just out of range for a long time, singing love songs and searching anxiously, eventually fading into the bush and out of my life.  But not before leaving me with what is one of the most incredible moments I will ever experience.

After getting Bill home, I drove back up to the mountain for my selfish hunt, hoping to find that bull in the same moood!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Yow I'm still shaking!!!!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
Thursday morning, first morning that I was there for myself, found my good buddy and I in what is my favorite place in the world.  After years of experience, we call it the rock concert.  These bulls are not afraid to advertise their presence to the world.  Though we are hunting National Forest in a Gneral OTC area, we see mature bulls in there every year.  It is a mere 2.5 mile (as the crow flies) hike from the car in the dark, but for whatever reason we always have it all to ourselves.  The above experience happened on the outskirts of this magical staging area.  We were returning hoping for more.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
What an awesome experience. That my friend, is "counting coup" in its finest sense. You got to take that bull home with you without firing an arrow. Great story!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
What an awesome experience.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
There's the magic of a close encounter of the elk kind. WOW!!! That would definitely feed the sensory neurons of your mind to overload. What a great experience Dan.    :goldtooth:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Indeed it was!

Getting in there at dark 30, things were oddly quiet.  After some impatient waiting, I couldn't let it slide anymore and let her rip with a long location bugle.  Before the sound could echo back off the trees, the concerted started.  And before long I was able to shut up and just let em sing.  What a great day that was!  We had bulls singing all around us.  

We had one nemesis though, the wind.  IT seemed that everytime we'd close the distance on a bull and set up to bringin him in the wind would be headed right at him.  IT happened over and over again.  Rather then going for it anyway, I always back out and try to get it right first.  Finally by 10 am we were starting to get a stable wind.  It turned out we had some weather coming in, so things were a bit squirrely, but luckily so were the bulls!  

Hanging out down in the staging and feeding areas longer then usual they all started to move up the ridge to bed about the same time the wind did the same.  Hustling, we went with them.

Setting up just above the hill, preferring to always call from an uphill position and with the wind right, we were looking for a place to shoot, but nothing was offered!

The beetle kill is really starting to take its toll on the hills, as more and more trees pile up into an endless logjam.  Things are getting very tight in there, making travel nearly impossible in most places. I've noticed elk are bedding more and more on aspen south facing slopes and in mixed conifer creek bottoms. Also, they are taking alot longer to get in because of the difficulty of travel.  I had no bulls sneak up on me this year!

Because of this, I set-up in the aspens and open lodgepole as much as possible, calling elk out of thick spot rather then going in like I would usually do.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Finding a suitable location, we set into calling.  Immediately, the heard bull (who we call chuckler) started crying marco polo, trying to get me over there.  Soon the other bull, whom we had not seen but named growler, started to sound off.  He was on the opposite side of the canyon and higher then us.  

After some cow calling, they kept answering but not coming.  So, I mixed in a few long chuckles, giving the impression of a subdominant bull with the cows, keeping them from coming down.  That did the trick!  Almost immmediately you could hear the growler bull crashing, jumping, stumbling, bashing, jogging, his way down the opposite hillside and through the piles of sticks and logs.  Pausing only to sound off a low guttaral growl, with no high pitch at all.  The further he got from the herd bull, the more the herd bull screamed in protest, what a cacophony of sound this was!  Finally, he reached the creek below us, splashing through it and heading up the other side in our direction.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
WOW,this is a great story!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
anxiously peering under the brim of my cap I scanned the hill below for any sign of his presence.  Finally, there were antler tips just above the junipers bobbing and weaving their way up the hill.  Once his whole body could be seen, and still out about 70 yards down hill through golden yellow aspen, mixed conifer and juniper brush and straight down a trail carved by elk, reminiscent of a roto-tillers carnage.  The bull paused to gussy up on a defensless pine tree, rubbing his antlers with feigned violence.

Pausing from raking he looked up the hill, giving me a moment to blow a soft cow call through my nose.  He decided the time was right, kicked back his rack and came up the hill growling another call of dominance in our direction.  Now I know things were about to get serious.

He headed straight up the hill, right at me with full purpose and intention.  at about 15 yards and still ambulating I was starting to worry this was going to be another case of head on hand shaking or nothing.  But, at 7 yards he could no longer take it, needing to know right where that cow was, now!

He was standing to the right and just behind the asepn in this photo.  

Curling his lip, and pushing his head down and and head back in the classic pose of a dominant bull tasting the air for a molecule of cow elk, he postured arounf for a few seconds.

As well timed as possible, my buddy, who was sitting 30 yards to my left, let out a tiny mew.  It was just enough, the bull turned broadside like magic and growled that incredible sound in the direction of the noise, simultaneously stepping just behind the aspen tree.  As he did so I tensed up and began to draw in anticipation of him clearing that tree.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
He cleared the tree and finished his bugle as I felt my back tense and the arrow loose on its way.  Like going through a feather pillow, the arrow met little resistence as it dissapeared clean into his side, slightly above center and straight up the leg.  

When the bull whirled and headed down the mountain,  I bugled to slow his march out of force of habit all the tension built up over that sequence came out in a flood of emotion only felt by those who experience nature by being part its cycle and in reverance of those rhythms.  All control was lost, I layed on my back in silent thanks to my creator for an amazing experience, while uttering a prayer of quick death and speedy recovery.  

Upon sitting up I could see my arrow resting in a brush down the hill a ways, with everything tinged a slightly different color then it had left my bow.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
The track job was short, having stumbled directly back down the hill and without the strength to climb eth other side, we saw this upon approacihng the creek.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Congrats must be in order.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
This was my first bull using a bow I made.  

The simmons tree Shark more then did his job, opening a huge hole for the 800 gr hammer head to slip through unencumbered.  I am very impressed with these heads.  There was a gallon of blood covering the 75 yard trail to the bottom.  

entrance

exit

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
In thanksgiving he returns to the earth

After a few happy photos

we began the process of turning this

into this