3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk 2012 Miles and Yards  (Read 828 times)

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk 2012 Miles and Yards
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
A buddy and I cashed in some preference points for a limited unit this year.  I built a 56# longbow just for the hunt and spent the summer hunting for information on the web and from folks that had hunted the unit before.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk 2012 Miles and Yards
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
We gathered some good info on spots to check out including Elksong (thanks!) meeting us and pointing some areas out on the map on our way over to scout.  We made 4 trips between scouting and hunting at about 13 hours roundtrip.  Thats a lot for us being residents, but can't complain as plenty of guys put on those miles to come from other parts of the country.

We went opening weekend and didn't have much action, but learned one area a bit.  We went back Labor Day weekend to a new spot and were into more elk, but no opportunities. Bugling all night one night and silence the next.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer2:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Man do I love September!   :campfire:
Jeff Couture

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
We went back for the last week of season and the first evening I hiked in to find a water hole that satellite photos showed.  There were 3 cows there but not much bugling going on.

The next evening my buddy sat there and had a close encounter with a really nice bull.  I saw the bull from where we arranged to meet for the hike out and he was a dandy.

The next day, we got into 3 vocal bulls in the morning but nothing developed.  Back at camp for lunch a guy pulled in looking for help packing a bull out.  I went to help and my buddy went back to the same water hole in hopes of seeing Mr Big again.  He's 30 years my senior and didn't need to be packing out anyone elses elk, eventhough he was ready to go.

Mr Big never showed for him.  After I finished helping pack out our new friends bull, I had a bit of time left before dark.  I chose a water hole not far from a 4X4 road that would also be a good spot to listen for evening bugling and make a plan for the morning.

I picked a spot behind a blowdown and started making a quick blind.  It was really open and I didn't have much faith in being concealed well.

I added a couple sticks and then heard a faint twig snap to my right.  Low and behold a decent bull was on his way in.  He passed me out of range and drank at a seep I should have looked at.  I leaned the bow up and grabbed the camera.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Great country

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I love those mountains. The pictures bring back the sights,sounds and smells.  Thanks
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
:campfire:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Awesome! I just got home from unit 55 where I hunted for 5 days and never saw a single elk. There was very little bugling going on and, although good and cold in the mornings, warmed up way too much during the day.

Bisch

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
He turned to leave the same way he came in and I chalked it up to a neat encounter.

Then, he made a sharp right turn and started walking around the water hole straight to me.  This is where the yards part comes in.

I had little cover but there were four or five large aspens between us.  Each time his eyes went behind a trunk, I did what I could to be in position for a shot.  As he passed the last one quartering to me, I quickly drew and held as he exposed himself.  He was at nine yards and I was sure I could put the arrow where I wanted.  It would need to go in front of his shoulder.  Its a shot I have passed at longer distances many times, but I had complete confidence and I watched the arrow hit right where I wanted.

He did a classic heart shot leap-and-kick and started stumbling at about 5 yards.  His momentum took him to about 30 yards and he was down.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
WOW!!! That must have been exciting!!  concratulations!   :clapper:
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Way to go Don!! Great job and a bg congrats!!  :clapper:    :clapper:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Nice bull!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    Congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Great elk!! Great picture!!  That had to be a heart thumping experience, being that up close and personal!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Good Shoot'n!

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Great job Don, and with a bow you built. Very cool , congrats.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
The two blade Magnus exited in the center of the "V" behind the off shoulder going through the top of the heart at the artery connections.  I wouldn't recommend this shot unless conditions and confidence are all lined up.  Its the first time I have done it in 25+ years of bowhunting.

I took some pics and opted to dress him and get some logs under him for the night and pack him in the morning.  

When we arrived in the morning he was cooled nicely and just as we started, two bulls bugled up the ridge.  My buddy went after one while I got started.

Sure enough, about 15 minutes after my buddy left, the bull he didn't go after comes down to the spring.  Not much I could do but take some pics and hope my buddy came back quickly.

The bull wallowed, drank, bugled, and raked for about 20 minutes while I stood about 50 yards back in the aspens over my bull.

My buddy made it back (he heard the bugles and raking) just as the bull left.

Nice bull!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Very nice bull
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
We packed my bull to the 4X4 road just 150 yards!  My buddy almost killed the big bull above the next morning, but it was not to be.

We hunted hard the next 4 days and had some great encounters but in the end my friends tag went unfilled.  He passed a couple bears, had a 3 1/2 hour shouting match with a nice bull, etc, etc.

A great hunt with a good friend and a decent bull to top it off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©