3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camo????? or Comfort?????  (Read 1062 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camo????? or Comfort?????
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
I voted Cammo because it's proven many times over to me that to break up your body pattern with it works.....i use a predator spring color design for the jungles of the Oregon coast.......Actually "BOTH" would be the best answer though....I bought my cammo's made from saddle cloth years ago in a larger size than normal. in warmer weather i dress light under them, and in colder weather i have room for sweat shirts, wool shirts and long johns if needed.....i found it's best to dress in layers in weather that varies from hot to cold temps a lot. peel as needed and add to your pack. this method also allows me to buy good rain gear of most any color without paying the high dollar price for camo rain gear.  the only way to fly in my way of thinking.... I always wear a layer of thin cotton under my cammo to absorb sweat and not stink op my cammos so quickly.... Kirk

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
I guess I don't see the 2 as mutually exclusive.
Otto

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
This seems to be a very comfortable group!
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 05:30:00 AM »
AMEN Artur!!!  Comfort = Happy Camper, er, Hunter!  :banghead:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
My most comfortable clothes are camo..I could not vote. What is the purpose of this poll?

Killdeer  :confused:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
I didn't vote . There is comfortable camo. I have an old pair of Original Treebark Camo cargo pants that are close to twenty years old if not better. When the stuff first came out.These pants are like a pair of pajamas I wish they weren't so faded out.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
The main purpose is which concerns you THE MOST.....

I have a TON of camo.....almost all of it is cotton and GREAT for "good weather".....

But not much use in the cold rain/snow!!!!!

Yes,You could spend "Mega Bucks" on top quality "Wool Camo","Snow Camo","Camo Rain Gear" etc.....

But how often do you REALLY need it????? I bought a Nat-Gear "Snow Camo" parka shell and over pants (on clearance $10 each piece) 3 years ago this fall. So far I've used it ONCE (for coyote hunting) in 3 years.

Maybe I'm just getting Frugal (or CHEAP lol) in my old age.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
The main trouble with all of those pockets, Dave, is that one tends to put something in each one.      :rolleyes:  

I have a fleece fanny pack the erases the need for any pockets, plus it keeps the small of your back warm in colder weather.

Camo has taken over the outdoor clothes pages in most catalogs, so it's mostly what people have to buy...at least those with a Cabelas card.

I usually get my stuff at Good Will.

Oh yes....I did vote for comfort.  Suprise!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
Todays Mfg offer so many camouflage options, designs etc....that there are products out there to fit everyones budget.

Clothing material is much softer and quieter today than it was when I started hunting back in the late 60's. There wasn't much need for quiet back then as most everyone gun hunted and very few bowhunted. Red/Black wool checkerd clothing ruled the woods.

Good, quality Camouflage that is offered in a variety of fabrics isn't cheap BUT you will get years of service from it. As a Dealer for Day One Camouflage, I will attest to that. Going "cheap" and trying to stay comfortable is fine depending on how many days you spend chasing critters around the woods. Your clothing may just not work out or last the entire season.

Now, if I read this right also, for example, I extremely cold days, I opt for my dark gray Swedish Wool hunting pants over my camo...even though I strictly bowhunt from the ground, I want the extra protection wool offers. My tops are ASAT camo. Comfort...Yes...Camo...Yes.. Two years ago I purchased some fleece ASAT pants large enough around my waist, that I can use my Extreme cold weather thermals. I'm comfy and camo'd.

Again, there is enough quality camo material out there to fit all your needs for all types of weather AND the larger Sporting Good stores usually run "bargain" sales before and after the seasons. Sorry I got long winded...like Kildeer, not quite sure how to respond.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Woodchucker,  does being comfort necessarily mean being camo'd?   I don't aways use camo, since when I started years ago, a Plaid shirt and pants of earthy colors got me close enough to the game I was hunting.  Camo to me was always frosting on the cake.  I have some of the the best camo jobs, but tend to fall back to my plaid shirt, I guess for comfort! Thanx for the poll!    mr.c

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »
As I said before.....I go for COMFORT FIRST!!!!!

I have a TON of cotton camo,and I wear it when the weather is good.

HOWEVER.....I have 2 pair of heavy wool pants(1 green and 1 dark gray) and a BUNCH of 100% wool sweaters (from the Good Will store) and I break out the woolies when the weather gets NASTY!!!!!

I NEVER wear long-johns (cotton or others) and I NEVER wear a cotton T-shirt under my hunting clothes.(They are just "sweat-sponges" IMO)

I only hunt from the ground,and more times than not I'm on the move.

I'll wear a pair of cotton cargo pants or wool pants.Then I'll put a wool sweater on against my skin,and tie another sweater around my waist,and off I go!!!!!

The wool sweaters breath well and do not absorb any sweat keeping me "comfortable" all day long    :thumbsup:

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Yes,You could spend "Mega Bucks" on top quality "Wool Camo","Snow Camo","Camo Rain Gear" etc.....

But how often do you REALLY need it?????

Depends on where you live......

In Ohio, I wear wool from about mid Novemeber thru the end of the season in Feb.  The money I paid for my wool has been a great investment.
Otto

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
What do you wear when the temperature shoots up to 70-80 degrees?????

Apparently everyone seems to be missing my point.....

Here in New York we have had temperature changes from -20 to 80 degrees between Oct. and Dec.

With those types of temp changes it's just as easy to be over dressed as under dressed.

Several days ago a young man from N.J. was asking about buying a top quality wool camo Bibs&Jacket. If you can afford it,thats great.....BUT,If you invest all your budget into your new wool hunting suit and the temp never gets below 60 degrees.....NOW what do you do?????

I have ruined more Top Quality "Big Bucks" hunting gear over the last 30+ years than I care to remember.....(It hurts just thinking about it LOL) yet I would NEVER try to pursuade anyone from buying it. It seems that some feel that I am against "Wool Camo" but I'm not!!!!!

Here is a hypothetical situation.....

You are going on a 4 day hunting trip.Space is limited as to what you can bring,and the weather forcast says 30-40 degrees with a possibility of wet snow.So you elect to wear jeans and a plaid wool pendelton shirt (while traveling) and bring your KOM Wool Camo Bibs&Jacket to hunt in. You arrive at "Camp" about 5am Friday morning and quickly jump into your KOM outfit and head out to hunt. By lunchtime it's 60 degrees and getting hotter. Saturday morning it's 60 degrees and you KNOW your in for a hot day. Which would you do?????

Wear the wool bibs&jacket and be hot all day?????

Wear the jeans and Pendelton shirt and say "camo be damned"?????

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
camo be dammed i would say. thats what i usally say any way! got to be comfortable out there or its hard to stay out for a 6 hour sit!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
I didn't vote but I don't go anywhere in the hunting woods without my Mirage leafy wear. Oh yeah, its quiet and comfortable. I did ghillie it out some this year so it might be a bit warmer.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
ttt,  :archer:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Comfort for sure! If you are comfortable, you can usually sit still for a longer period of time. Lack of movement and attention to wind direction are probaly the two best "camo" techniques available.
Sam

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Comfort, and quiet is alot more important than camo.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
It's like this Chuck, if your not comfortable then you will be moving around, game will pick up movement quicker than a motionless silhouette.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
I think it it was Teddy Roosevelt that said, years ago, that there was no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes. This is 2010, if your clothes are not comfortable, quiet, and camoed, go shopping. I do not own a single piece of scent lock as "I don't believe you can fool Mother Nature" If somebody could just figure out how to keep cool down here in the "South" Under Armour doesn't work at 90 degrees

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©