3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still hunting advice  (Read 704 times)

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Still hunting advice
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
So I took a couple of weeks of leave, and have been spending a good deal of time out in the woods trying to develop my still hunting skills.

Those crispy leaves on the deck are so dang noisy.  I am wearing nicely broken in Dyer moccasins on my feet, but no matter how carefully and slowly I move, I can't help but make noise.  I might as well be walking on unopened potato chip bags with tap shoes.

And don't get me started on the tattle-tale squirrels.  As soon as they identify me, they start wagging their tails in defiance and barking their alert to every other living thing within a 50 yard radius.  I am absolutely sure that they are screaming to the deer,"He's over here, he's got a bow in his hand, run away now".  And the deer speak squirrel language.  If I thought I wouldn't loose an arrow and damage a nice Bear Razorhead, I would separate that squirrel from his wagging tail.

I have read a number of books, old and new, and try to apply the lessons learned, but it always seems like the deer are 5 steps ahead of me.  I sure know what just out of range white flags look like.  I feel like everyone knows something I don't know about still hunting.

Any advice will be humbly received and greatly appreciated.
Tom

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still hunting advice
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
My experience... you have to pick and choose your days... still dry days are next to impossible... better off finding a likely place and waiting...  days following a rain are made for slipping around...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Also -do not walk with heels hitting ground first
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Sound like your traveling a little fast.  You should be able to sneek past the squirrels with out putting them into high alert. Even with the dry leaves. Providing your clothing blends in ( I seem to do better with neutral shades of wool plaid or camo than with the dark stuff.)  And your clothing has to be quiet.  Your foot wear is a excellent choice.

The hardest part of still hunting (imo)is realizing you don't have to get far even if you have all day.   A good day is hard on my eyes with all the searching then make a step.

Highly rewarding though!  I probally average seeing a half a dozen tightly bedded deer during the season now.  Some really close at the edge of thick stuff that offer no shot.  But still makes a successful day.

Good luck, jeff
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Toes first.  Feels odd but gets more normal as you do it more.  A good still hunter told me that the "still" part is the key.  Most unaware game is spotted when stopped.

Deer have fulltime jobs staying alive and the tools to accomplish it.  When they lose, they lose everything.  When we lose, we get to try again tomorrow.

I don't have the patience to be good at it.  After an hour or so I'm going too fast and unfocused.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Agree with all of the above.  Some days just aren't conducive to still hunting.  Pick your day wisely.
Another thing is that some areas are easier to still hunt than others.  Pines are one of my favorite places to still hunt.
As for speed.  Well, if you are covering a hundred yards in less than an hour or so. You could be going too fast.
Still hunting is something I don't do if I have any time constraints at all.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
"walk little, see much." I try to work between locations from which I think I might get a shot that I could make without stalking after spotting.
Jim

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
here is what I learned last year, anxious to continue my education this year.
do not take steps long enough to see light between your legs from the side, shuffle your feet, the object is not to be silent, just not to sound like a man. when doing this right I have passed bushy tails at 5 yards in dry leaves and they do not stop what they are doing. I also learned not to make predator moves, do not squat down when you see a deer, don't hide behind a tree, continue as normal, you will be amazed. tried this last year, killed a coyote at 12 yards sleeping, missed a buck (same day) Killed a 146" the next day. will find out this year if it was luck.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Get you a doe bleet call on those dry days and blow a couple light bleets every couple minutes. If your gonna make noise might as well make them think your a deer. You might just make them come take a look.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
I always gauge my still hunting pace to the sign I'm seeing. If there don't seem to be much going on then I move a bit quicker. If its hot and heavy I move real slow and careful. That way you don't have to stay focused the whole time.

Another thing is a good set of Binos can help slow you down by giving something to do while you stalk.

When I place my feet I have my weight on my back foot and land my toes first then transfer my weight forward. Watch how deer walk. That's basically what they do. They can move quick and quiet because they are good at it.

My 2 cents.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Learn to use a diaphragm call and make turkey sounds. Also mimic how turkeys sound when feeding and walking through leaves.

It's better to sound like a turkey, deer or squirrel putzing around than a man sneaking around.

Be out after a rain when possible or on windy days. Just don't let it keep you from trying when it's still and dry.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
THE woods are never silent   Lots of things making noise all the time   Turkeys scratching   squirrells   chip=monks,   birds  etc    deer dont get spooked by   the slight rustle of leaves a by a  step or two    MOVE   SLOW     watch more than you     move!      take binoculars and  scan constantly!   the   corn flake leaves  wont spook anything  if you are only doing   a  step or two at a time   the diaphragm call for turkey sounds is a good idea I have done that  many times        watch the wind   walk into the wind   or   cross wind         other than those things  not much to worry about   LOL
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Read Tom brown's book on tracking, great info in it on moving in the forest effectively.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
I love learning how people still hunt. This will be my third season doing it so I'm learning after many many white flags. Great thread thanks!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
Slow, Slow, Slow!!!   all creatures make noise as they walk through the woods. the difference is the cadence. I rarely take more than 2 steps at a time and I also either use a turkey call and make squirrel sounds. works great, I had a buck appear in heavy cover in front of me at 6 yards. I was making noise because its impossible not too but I was moving in a cadence that doesnt alarm deer if they hear it.
"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where your meant to be"
John Lennon

Offline Oldskool2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
Slow, Slow, Slow!!!   all creatures make noise as they walk through the woods. the difference is the cadence. I rarely take more than 2 steps at a time and I also either use a turkey call and make squirrel sounds. works great, I had a buck appear in heavy cover in front of me at 6 yards. I was making noise because its impossible not too but I was moving in a cadence that doesnt alarm deer if they hear it.
"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where your meant to be"
John Lennon

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:26:00 AM »
Binocs are key. You're REALLY looking then.
To me still hunting is mostly about being still. Couple of steps, lots of looking. As above be super slow in the heavier sign. When stopped be by some cover, not in the open. Dry, crunchy is tough. lots of stillness on those days.
Be careful on the damp days to not be moving too fast. Movement is as bad as sound.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »

I just spent nearly 2 weeks stalking and stillhunting elk in Idaho. I didn't kill an elk, but I sure learned some lessons.

If I made a noise, I squeaked a cow or calf call. I moved insanely slow. Standing still for 10 minutes was not unusual. Like any hunting, the wind is everything. I wore out 4 pieces of dental floss on my top limb tip.

I was constantly using my talc powder "puffer". One positive, I realized that no matter how thick or crunchy, if you move SLOW enough, you can get through it. Don't look at your watch. If you think "I need to be through this ridge by 4:30".....you will rush and screw it up.

Fred Asbell points out in his book, that proper still hunting isn't just a walk in the woods. You need a route plan, you should be creeping through country you are at least sightly familiar with to be effective.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
Tom,
  Like Charlie Lamb's advice, I never go into the woods without a turkey diaphram call. A few yelps now and then while moving to/from my stands has worked wonders.
                      Best regards,
                           Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
That's a good point about the watch, Roger.
That's a big advantage the game we pursue has - they don't have to get to the mall before it closes...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©