3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Still hunting advice  (Read 706 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Still hunting advice
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Take a look at G. Fred's write up on deer-walking.  It works.

And just as others have said, SLOW, SLOW, SLOW down!  If you're covering 50 yards in 15 minutes, you are moving way too much!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Interesting stuff but I don't know if I would have the patience.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Woke up this morning, thanked God for the steady rain falling and headed out the door.  Thanks for all the advice Tradgangers, made a big difference today.  I headed out with resolve to put the still back into still hunting.  Took tiny steps, toes first and more stopping/looking than moving.  I'm going to try to make a turkey diaphragm call tonight.

I seemed to have developed a new rapport with the squirrels, not one alarm the whole morning.  I did take a bit of pleasure watching one squirrel fall out of a tree.  He hit the deck, bounced once, landed on his feet shook his head and off he went.  I if had a tail I would have wagged it at him.

I did still manage to spook couple of deer.  Once when I was high-stepping over a branch, too much movement and I spooked a doe within 10 yards.  I had no clue she was there, I was looking so hard too.  I've a lot to learn but it's a great challenge and good fun.

Best part of the day was when a chipmunk actually hopped onto my foot.  I had to double check to make sure I didn't accidentally leave the house with my fuzzy animal slippers on and he was trying to make friends with them.  Nope, had my Dyers on- he must have thought I was a slow moving tree.

Thanks again Tradgangers.
Sincerely,
Tom

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Congratulations on the satisfying day!

Keep at it and the dry leaves won't matter much. At times I'll  "sift" my foot through them instead of compressing them.  The little bit of noise doesn't seem to draw as much attention.  Snap a trig -- wait 15 minutes. A near by deer will watch where he heard the noise for a good while.

They have a knack for being exactly where you don't anticipate them. LOL
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
All the advise above is on target.......but Slow can not be stressed enough......YOU CAN NOT MOVE TO SLOW!!!!! Also the use you binos a lot........Best of luck in your hunts!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Tom... Congrats on a great day in the woods. Like most things, the more you do this the better you'll get at it.

Keep at it. The first time you get a shot at one of those deer that you saw first will be special awesome.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
   :archer:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
Tom....I admire your "stick-to-it" attitude.

One other thing I noticed out west.....a slow HIGH step is much quieter than a low step.  I am not a tall guy, and I realized the advantage a long legged person would have when creeping through fallen timber. Balance (or lack of) and single leg strength were obvious too.

I have done yoga while working out to the P90X program...I see a ton of application to that type of training. Many times you will be 1/2 way through a step and need to freeze on one foot, upper body at an odd angle.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm definitely not the one with loads of experience, but I have a drop. One of the absolute best things I have done is take 2 steps and stop for a few minutes. There is also a method in the way I step. I used it for a super successful stalk last week on a big doe and its fawn. What I do is walk in almost a T stance. I take a small step with my left foot setting the toe down first and dropping the heel down. I bring my right foot right up behind my left foot, making a "T" with them. I sit the right down exactly like the first. I am a right hand shooter and I want my left foot leg in front at all times if possible. This way of walking allows me not to get in a odd position that I can't make a good shot. Also, when you take those small steps and bring you rear leg directly behind your front leg, it reduces the appearance of the tree trunk opening and closing.

Other than that, keep your eyes and ear open, very open!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Question for you still hunters.  When you see a deer first, and try to stalk up to it, what is the process.  I always get busted around 40-50yds.  If I move super slow, the deer walk off before I get to them.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Another thing to do is put the bow in front of you so it "splits" you in half. I had a small mulie buck at ten yards last night and couldn't quite figure me out. I've done this with whitetails and it works equally as well. Good stuff guys!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by snakebit40:
Another thing to do is put the bow in front of you so it "splits" you in half. I had a small mulie buck at ten yards last night and couldn't quite figure me out. I've done this with whitetails and it works equally as well. Good stuff guys!     :campfire:  
you reminded me of something else I do. I use an old cheap Kwikee Kwiver clamp on style. I'll snap off a small branch os whatever is handy that has plenty of leaves on it and put it in between the quiver clamp and upper bow limb. Makes it appear more like a tree and sort of hide your face a bit too.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Great stuff guys, i can say with confidence I'm an archer, but still an infant as a hunter. While i have taken small game, i have yet to log a big game kill. I feel I've learned a lot about stalking this year from time in the woods, even more from this thread. It's great to have such a wealth of info available here. I'll keep practicing until i get it.
Austin
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
JJ, Stalking and still hunting can be worlds apart.  With stalking being the most difficult.  Alot depends on the terrain and cover you have at hand.  Alot of times its more of watching the deer and trying to head it off.

In open woods with dry leaves get into position and try a little calling, grunting, etc.  A buck tending a doe can be alot of fun stalking but that doe will still stay very alert.

Last year I snuck into some cover (old tree top down) with a buck tending a doe thirty yards ahead.  You just can't predict their moves and the buck came past a couple of times in my range. He just wouldn't give me the shot I wanted.  One more grunt out of him and the doe ran a little circle and jumped into the tree top with me.---BUSTED!  That was one of the seasons highs.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
I will be on the ground only this year as well.  I have killed all but one of my rifle deer still hunting but none with a bow yet.  All of my bow kills have been from a stand.  I just have not learned to be slow enough with a bow.  This year I will make it happen.  i have until the middle of January.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
If you think you are going slow enough, slow down more.  Look and be still 95% of the time, and move 5% of the time.  Always maintain a positive attitude that game is just around the corner.  You need to spot the game before game spots you.  When I have thought to myself, move a little faster because there is nothing in this section, well I spook game.  
Most of all enjoy the experience of moving slow through the wilds, this is the very essance of bowhunting.  Patient attitude will go miles.  If you find a likely spot where game moves through to go from feeding to bedding, may be a spot to find a place to hide and hang out see what comes by.  Hunt from groud blind to ground blind, I do this when I am having a day that I cannot seem to calm down and go slow enough, or when the conditions are such that it is difficult to move quiet.  

Good hunting to you,  

PS:  If you do not have a copy of Hunting the Hard Way by Howard Hill, that book has alot of info.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
It'sall relative brother- some good advice here.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Great thread. Keep it up

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm working on stillhunting this year too. I've been reading Fred Asbell's Groundhunting Bible. He talks about silent walking when the terrain is not too crunchy/dry, then "deer walking" when it is. That means making each foot strike sound like 2 legs of a deer, then pause, then move your other foot.

Having said that, I feel like a rhino in there...and I'm just a 5'4" tall lady!  :)  Keep trying. That's what I'm going to do!

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
My advice, take off your boots, wear an old wool sock, and give her a go.  Your body will teach you how to walk, what cadence is good, etc...

Until your feet toughen up and walking becomes more natural, You will be forced to slow down and pay attention.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Slow down.  Use the squirrels to tell you how you're doing.  If you are going slow enough, they'll just hop along about 20 yardsish ahead of you and keep pilfering acorns and whatnot.  They know you are there, but aren't worried.  If you make even a bit of a fast move, they'll scatter and start barking at you.  

Keep chugging!  It'll come.  Don't be afraid to actually hunt the small game you happen across.  If you get a chance, put the sneak on a squirrel or rabbit.  It's good practice.
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©