3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wide-ish Hunting boot  (Read 239 times)

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
Wide-ish Hunting boot
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm looking for a basic leather uninsulated hunting boot. Danner, Irish Setter, etc. but I would like it to run a little wide. Not EEE, just on the wide side of the regular D. I would like some more toe room both width and maybe height.

Any specific brand or model that runs a little wide in the toe area?

I'm not looking for a backpacking boot or a real heavyweight.
Thanks

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wide-ish Hunting boot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I have the Cabela's Elk hunter 400 boots made by Danner. They are not uninsulated but they are not too bad on warm days. I have a really wide foot and I got mine in 11 1/2 EE and they fit great. I use mine for deer hunting in the fall starting in Sep. and going through Dec. I also use them for turkey hunting in the spring. These are great boots for all season and they are also made in the USA and very few boots still are.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
When I wear boots for hunting, I go with my USMC issued Danner Rugged All Terrain boots.  The EE have plenty of room in the toe box.  Almost feel broke in right out of the box, and are tough as nails.  Also made in the US of A.

*edit*  My standard USMC issued Danner boots are EE;  The RATs are size R for regular (they come in N,R,W and XW).

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Phrogdrvr:
In July  Danner/LaCrosse got a $29 million contract to supply those boots to the Marine Corps so they are not available to the public right now. Sound like some good ones.

Thanks Turk: I'm going to be in Sidney, Neb in about three weeks. I'll try those boots at Cabelas.

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Lost Arra,

Try  http://pendleton.bookoo.com   type RAT in the search.

Lots of Marines get them issued and don't take them out to the sandbox for some reason (mine served me well there and here).  If you don't mind not trying them on first, you may be able to get a pair at a substantial savings.

Tom

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Lost Arra: I've been wearing Irish Setter King Toe boots for about three months. They are a moccasin style boot, about 8 or so " high, with a larger than usual toe box. I put New Balance footbeds in them, and had to pad the arches a bit, but they are a stable platform and don't abrade my toes. I also have a pair of Danner Pronghorns. They are comfortable, but I seem to pick up the Irish Setters more often. BTW, I have very narrow feet (A, AAheel). I learned how to fit them  by reading Fixing Your Feet, a book that is worth every penny, especially if you have hard-to-fit feet. I ordered them online from Ugly Dog hunting.

Good luck, Richard
Richard

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I've hunted in KEENs for the last 2 years. They have a wide toe design, insanely comfy and quiet. Hard hiking sole.  I love them. REI has them.
Worth a look

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 01:21:00 AM »
I agree with Phrogdrvr.  Mine were not RAT boots they were Danner steel toes and it was an amazing experience.  I had the belleville boots before the Danners and they never felt right. Put the danners on and it was like they were made for my feet.  They lasted 2 deployments for me.  Flight line use is never easy on boots and it was riding motorcycles that eventually did the boots in.  Best boots I have ever worn hands down.

Edit:  I aslo have wide feet and all other brands were never wide enough or too wide.  The danners were wide enough but not too much.  I wear 10 1/2 -11 wide.
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
danner pronghorns come in an uninsulated model and different widths--feel broke-in on the first day--i love mine
Mike

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
I have the Danner uninsulated pronghorn. Been having them for along time. Made many trips to co.with them. For the money they are a bargain.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Try a EE width.  Thats a pretty common wide width.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a foot that is borderline wide and many boots just don't give me enough room, especially when wearing multiple socks as I do when hunting in the mountains.

I have a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Hiker made by Meindl in the EE width.  They have served me well on a couple of elk hunts and also work great knocking around home.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
I would also agree with the pronghorns. I have a pair I use if I need a taller boot with some waterproofing.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I have a wide foot also. Danner proghorns seem to run a little wide with their D width. Other danners such as acadia, which I wear daily seem to run more narrow than normal. Although the proghorns aren't providing super support for mountaineering, but are just fine in Oklahoma terrain. Only complaint is the are made in China and can't be resoled like some of their other offerings.

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
One point I should have mentioned. The proghorns I have are comfortable and were from the beginning. Really required no breakin, I can walk all day and never worry about blisters.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Red Wing is tough to beat when it comes to fitting "unique" feet.  Good quality boots too, but not necessarily cheap.  They have insulated, non-insulated, Gore-Tex, different soles....a wide selection and sizes from very narrow to ultra wide.

I've got   really wide feet and they are the only boots I've found that will work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©