3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where have the ethics and respect gone?  (Read 731 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Where have the ethics and respect gone?
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
While discussing the upcoming season with a few coworkers, 3 out of 3 said that they have not so much as got their bows out of the case much less shot them since last season, with only 4 days left before our opener.
As archers, no matter our choice in equipment, is it not our responsibility to be the best we can be in order to make a quick and clean kill?
No matter how many or how few bells and whistles you may have, human error is always a constant, and without practice and tuning theres no way that you can become proficient with any kind of bow, trad. or otherwise without practice.
Sorry to be long winded, but it just chaps my a&%, to think that guys like these, with no ethics, or respect for the game they hunt, will be hunting in the woods with you, or adjacent to you!
Im sure these guys are the few and not the many, but when farmer Brown finds dead, unclaimed carcasses strewn around his property, it gives us all a black eye.
Seems sad that the many should have to pay the price for the few.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where have the ethics and respect gone?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Yep guys around here were just this week draggin there bows out and trying to draw them.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
"Seems sad that the many should have to pay the price for the few."
    Always been that way brother, no matter what aspect of life we're talking about. The only answer is education, but even still not all students pass with flying colors. Some guys may not even know the deffinition of "ethics". Not to be pounding on compound shooters(because you didn't say what your coworkers were shooting)but I most often find this kind of outlook/attitude to be the most prevelent with them. Could be just laziness, but certainly shows no zeal or love for the sport. Me, I HAVE to practice all year long or I couldn't hit anything!LOL
  Not taking this lightly, maybe a heart to heart talk would do more good than you might realize.  ;)
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
are you saying 3 out of 3 traditional archers still have bows unshot since last season 4 days out from opening day ???

personally I have not seen traditional bowhunters not shooting till just before season 3 times in the last 40 years
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
The last lease I was on did not allow bow hunters anymore. She had seen a bunch of deer and hogs running around with arrows poorly placed hanging out of them. I guess it was people who didn't practice or wouldn't pass on an iffy shot.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I have a small archery shop here and I really believe "that" is the norm...people wait till the last minute to get things together...sad but true..seems more common with compound shooters ; but then that is the vast majority of "archers" here...just saying

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
My next door neighbor (compound shooter) just started shooting his bow 2 weeks ago. I have been shooting year round. I even was shooting my quiver full of broadheads making sure there were no issues with them. I then resharpened them and put them back in the quiver. I agree with you moleman. It chaps mine also.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Corey, they are not trad. shooters. All the trad. shooters ive encountered work to perfect their skills.  For these guys its bells and whistles all the way, and i guess by there way of thinking, with all these gadgets, why do i need to practice, thats why i bought them.

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I worked in an archery shop on and off for about ten years. Guys would come in on a friday night, buy a new bow and gear and plan on going out the next morning. Crap like that frustrated me. That's one of the reasons I stopped working there.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
True- but I am also sure it has worked this way for years with firearms.  The good news with bows- few of those folks ever hunt well enough to be of a concern.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
moleman - thanks

no surprize - this is what I expect. It is disgusting. I have no other comments - this is tradgang
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Bulldog, my neighbor hasn't shot his YET ......... he hasn't been hunting yet either, but I'm sure he will go sooner or later whether he's practiced any or not.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Alexander Traditional, the post you made hits home real hard.
I have nearly 300 acres that adjoin my property that i hunted for over 20 yrs, the experience that you speak of is part of what caused all of the no hunting policies of the land owner, that and the general disrespect for the property itself.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I shoot almost every day year round because its FUN!
Make a life, not a living

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
thats sad.  the compoung guys i know around here all take it serious, like we do.  makes me sick to hear of anyone, trad, compound, or otherwise, who doesnt.
is it September yet??

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
LITTLEBIGMAN, im with you, not only am i honing my skills, but i have a great time doing it!

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
I have known alot of compound shooters that pull their bows out a week before season and shoot a few times and say I'm good to go.  It shows a complete lack of respect for animals and ethics. I always speak my mind and tell them you are not even close too ready for hunting. Thats where we usually part ways.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I'll have to put compound bows in the same class as crossbows. They are the preferred tools of lazy hunters. I know there are serious hunters in both categories who practice and prepare for the season ahead. The majority of compound hunters I know pull them out of the closet a week or so before the season tweak the sights and head for the woods. This goes especially for the younger hunters I know. It seems they want the easy way to accomplish whatever they do. My nephew who shoots pretty well missed a deer last week and the first thing out of his mouth was "If I had a compound I would have hit it" like this is some magic solution to making you a better hunter. I've seen compound shooters who can almost drive nails but as we all know this doesn't translate to hunting situations where yardage is unknown and other variables affect the shot. I'm not knocking compound bows with proper preparation they are a deadly tool, just lazy hunters and to be honest trad archery doesn't appeal to lazy hunters.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
You are so right mickeys4, no matter what you shoot, theres no such thing as " instant success", and nothing can replace dedication.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
I shoot almost every day year round because its FUN!
Me to.........But I know gun guys who never sight in from year to year and bow guys [not bow hunters] who do the same with their equipment. Thank goodness there are folks like the people on here who do the right thing.......at least most of us.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©