3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String silencer - along  (Read 244 times)

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
String silencer - along
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
The topic of string silencers come up quite a bit.  What constitutes a good silencer?  Obviously it dampens the sound.  Cheap is good.  field repairability is good, but durability is better.  weather and bur resistance is nice.  Nobody likes a facefull of rainwater when they shoot.  So here is my simple and effective silencer recipe.  I modeled it after some silencers a buddy had on his training wheels bow.  Don't know if it is actually the same thing, but close.  They was called tarantulas.

Cut up a scrap of fleece into a "square spider" shape.  The number of legs is up to you.  Mine was camo, but anything would work I am sure.  Cost, $2.00 for enough to do 20-30.  Baseball shown for size.

Wrap it around the string tightly, and tie it on in your preferred way.  

Close up.

Next step.... shoot away.  Mine have lasted several thousand shots.  No burrs, no snow, very minimal rain... lightweight for the repair kit to stuff an extra in there.  No affect on speed, but more importantly, (hopefully) the animal won't hear you shooting at it, and speed won't matter.  Good luck.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String silencer - along
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Jarhead -- I am left to wonder why fleece, in a prolonged rain, wouldn't soak up enough water to be annoying when you shoot. But I'll follow your lead and give it a try, as I am still searching for the "perfect" silencer. The heavier rubber jobs don't work so well on FF string. The thin rubber sileners, catwhiskers or whatever, quickly self-destruct, and my favorite -- mink fur -- is worse than useless when it gets wet. Now, to find a scrap of fleece. Thanks, 'nuther Jarhead

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Dave2old,

I have a Mountain Muffler string on one of my bows, and it has puffs made out of wool.  Ever tried that?
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Well if them don't look cool. I'll have to give that a try. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Dave,

Silencers aren't the only thing that will slow your arrow down when its raining, don't you forget that water will gather up on your arrow, bow limbs, Bhead, feathers, and bow string when its raining.

Your whole set up is going to gain water weight....not just the silencer.  If you have a 100% water proof silencer, you've only solve a fraction of the problem....and the rest wont be solved......and so you'll still have a slower arrow.

Best to cut your distance about 5 yards and pick a spot a little higher on the vitals....that way you'll have all the other wet variables covered.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing elk ninja. Hey did you ever do anything with that saw blade I sent you?

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Nope, still sitting there, waiting for me to get off my duff.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©