3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 415 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
What next?
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
As some of you may have noticed, my wife and I are moving to Montana next August. She agreed that since I will miss deer season here in Iowa next fall, she will allow me to apply for an out of state tag, I would like to try for elk but will most likely settle for a muley or antelope tag. I have never processed an elk before, any recommendations as to a source for newbies? I am hoping to find somebody that would be willing to let me tag along, learn how to call elk, "listen" to the wind and also (hopefully) let me help/learn to process an elk. Also, being from Iowa, I have never hunted spot and stalk style and would love some pointers. The main reason for this post however, is to put together a list if you would, of the things that would help make the transition to mountains hunting easier, gear wise! Sorry for the long winded post, I am just extremely excited. Anything and everything will help thanks guys and gals!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
Don't know what kind of physical condition you are in, but elk and mountains dictate that you be in good shape if you are going to enjoy your hunting. You will likely put in several miles a day when hunting elk or mulies, and they don't live in flat country. Job one should be physically ready to put in the miles.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I plan on running 3 times a week and lifting the other two, following week switching it up

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
ANy chance I can have your spot in Iowa?  :saywhat:  Need me some hunting ground up there...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
:biglaugh:   I actually just hunt on the ground my grandfather owns!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Where in Montana are you going to move to?    :thumbsup:  
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
Trying to decide actually. I had another thread around here somewhere, but trying to narrow down spots that have nursing programs, with ample public land for fly fishing and of course hunting. We found a house near Great Falls, but it is soundind like Missoula is the front runner so far.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
sounding*

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
When I go to the mountains with my scout troop for 10 day stretches I load the backpack with weight and work the high school stadium stairs two months in advance working the load weight up to 70 lbs.

From one flat lander to another, Fwiw

i<3 Boseman

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
Iowabowhunter

Missoula is a pretty big city. There are two hospitals that I know of, & I think there's a Vets. Hospital too. Should be plenty of nursing programs.

Helena, Butte, & Bozeman all have Hospitals too, not sure of nursing programs though.
Good luck with your choice.
Frank

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Is there any particular pieces of gear that I should be on the lookout for or that I need to invest in?

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Hey buddy. A good pack and good boots. I also hunted in first lite and kuiu this year. I'm a big believer. Good luck and I might have to come visit  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Didn't think of boots, I suppose the standard boots I use around here won't work! Any recommendation as far as pack/boots? At first I would like to stay a couple maybe 3 days at a time before making the trip back home.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
No doubt Ryan you would be more than welcome at my campfire

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
No doubt Ryan you would be more than welcome at my campfire

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Try different brands of boots. They all fit different. I use meindle's. as far as a pack, same thing, everyone has a different opinion and cost is a factor too.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
Is there any particular pieces of gear that I should be on the lookout for or that I need to invest in?
You will want a good pair of "pack" boots. I like Sorrel, but there are others. I have a good pair of leather Danners for Fall & winter & a pair of military style desert boots for summer & spring. Some really like the Muck boots, but I haven't tried them.Bowseason is going now & I really use my desert boots. it's in the low 70s now & beartiful bowhunting weather.

I like wool for clothing it can get wet & still keep you dry. It can be expensive, but will last for years. I'm a big fan of CC Filson, they are pricy, but exellent. I use their vests a lot.

I use the "Stormy Kromer" style cap in winter. The ear flaps really are nice. I also use a balaclava. I like Wool gloves with the mitten feature. In our area winter temps. can be from 15 above to 30 below.
  Hope this helps some.
Feel free to PM me if I can help further   :campfire:   .
Frank

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
I have been looking around online, does anybody have any recommendations as far as websites that reviews different mountain hunting/hiking gear?

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Is there somewhere I can find a list of things that people have brought before on their hunts, like a checklist kind of deal?

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Iowabowhunter
I like LLBean, CCFilson, for clothing & boots CCFilson are pretty high on prices of boots, I like Danner too & Cabela's is a pretty good source for Danner.
G. Fred Asbell offers a very good pullover wool shirt, I use mine a lot. It's a pretty tight weave & I find it's almost windproof. He has a web site at the top of our forum & his gear is very good.   :)  
Feel free to PM me.
Frank

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©