3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 414 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What next?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I see that boots are high on most peoples priorities when hunting in the mountains so I will definitely start browsing to try and find the best I can afford.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I think you are right about the best quality you can afford. Boots are not the area to skimp. I've had good boots keep my ankle from turning when I stepped on a round rock. Saved me from a bad fall & possibly a sprained ankle. I could feel the boots not allowing my ankle to bend far enough to fall. They paid for themselves that one hunt.
  Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I am guessing that it will be imperative to extend my effective hunting range. I do not anticipate taking longer shots than I do now, however I don't really practice much further than my effective range right now because the stands that I sit in don't allow for much beyond 20-25 anyways. I know this is very dependent on the situation and how the animal is acting etc, but do any of the western hunters have a distance that they feel they "should" be hunting accurate out to?

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I still try to keep my shots at 20 yds or under. In the open I've had to pass because it was beyond what I felt comfortable with. I got busted Thurs. by a small buck that was just within my comfort zone, but he'd seen movement (I have to remember to turn my head more slowly) & I would probably have not been able to draw with him looking my way. Oh well Try to learn from mistakes.   :dunno:  

I do practice stump shooting at ranges I wouldn't shoot at an unwounded deer or Elk at. It's fun  shows & me just how quickly an arrow will go low at longer ranges   :eek:   .
Frank

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Does anybody have a preference as far as style of compass? I haven't had to use one before, and am really hoping to kind of find someone I can tag along with to learn the ropes

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Does anybody have experience with the Wapiti APO ED binos in 10x42? I am in need of a good set of bino's and these seem to be a great little bino for the price.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Theron is the company that makes the Wapiti bino's*

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any experience with those.
Frank

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
All of the gear questions you are asking are very subjective.  Everyone has their own preferences.  Try all of the items as much as you can.  Some of the best hunting boots are made and/or commonly found in Montana (Schnees & Kennebec).  Personally I would wait until you get out there before you buy anything for hunting the mountains.  What you may like in IA, may not work out as well for you out there.  Montana is a very big state and has a very wide variety of terrain.  Be sure to go to the Elk Foundation headquarters when you are there.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
That sounds like a good idea, I will have to get the boots broken in scouting anyways!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©