3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantages/Disadvantages Dacron/FF  (Read 426 times)

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Advantages/Disadvantages Dacron/FF
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
What can you tell me, besides (I think)5-8 fps (not worried about speed) with FF. And does anybody still shoot Dacron.

THANK YOU,
Mike   :campfire:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advantages/Disadvantages Dacron/FF
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
MJB, Lots of folks still shoot Dacron for various reasons. You say you aren't worried about speed?? I bet one of the first specs you think about when buying a bow was/is draw weight..It's the same thing. That 5-8fps with the same arrow, you just took a 50# bow and made it perform like a 47" going to Dacron. Add a couple string silemcers, mole skin under string, a limb tip protector, ect...and now you got a 50# that performs like a 44 or 45#. Modern strings is like having extra pounds that you don't have to pull.......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
I shoot B50 dacron on all my older bows, and some of my newer bows that are FF ok, if I made the string for them.  I can't bring myself to pay $30 a roll fast flight prices for a couple rolls of string, especially while I am still learning how.  
Ron

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
OL I'm just starting out, and I did think about draw weight. Being new to TRAD archery I did not want to be over bowed. Thank You for the Tips I'm in the process of tuning my bow and using your tuning tips on your web page. Lots of good info there

:thumbsup:  

Mike    :campfire:

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
This is a bit of backwards reasoning but when I make selfbows I make a new string while tillering. First brace is low, maybe 3". It is sure easier to use a high performance string (no stretch) than dacron which needs to be pre-stretched overnight or it stretches on the bow. A D97 string holds the brace ht. better.

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
The only advantage dacron has over fast flight
IMO is that you won't rip the tips off old recurves
that aren't built to handle fast flight material.
Nothing against dacron I just wouldn't rob the
performance of a modern built bow by using it.
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
I agree with Scott S. For years, until recently, I stuck with B50 because it was "what I'd always used," with no real problems once you got the stretch out (and with a slightly overlength and thus very twisted string, that could take a few hundred shots). As stated by SS, unless you're shooting an older glass recurve, there are no worries. I now shoot FF on all of my homemade bows, both self and wood-wood laminates. Not a hint of a problem. They stretch less, shoot faster, and last longer. But they definitely are noisier ... which, in the long run, is a good thing as it forces you to better fine-tune your bow. Only after I've gotten a FF-strung bow as quiet as possible via tuning (including using heavier arrows), do I add the string silencers. But hey, this ain't rocket science. So long as we're not doing anything that would increase the risk of wounding and losing game -- that is, so long as we are hunting with ethics foremost -- what does it matter, ff or dacron? I say, try both and please yourself. You'll never find consensus among us TradGangers (on almost anthing). And that is part of the fun. Dave

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the feedback    :thumbsup:  

THANKS,
Mike   :campfire:

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
I have an older Howatt and I can't shoot anything but B-50. I've always wondered why they don't make something like a glue on overlay or something to make older bows FF compatible. Anyhow, I really don't mind the B-50. It does stretch  but once I shoot a string in its good for quite awhile.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
I prefer dacron. My strings are 18 strand; and I can shoot without making my fingers sore ( I shoot two fingers) and while I can see a speed increase with the same bow and FF.  I don't like how it bit my fingers though.        

And a couple times I have somehow hit my string with a broadhead; and I like having more strands to survive.                  

I don't know how I would feel if I shot 3 fingers; but the dacron is much easier on the fingers- when your shooting 2 fingers.      

I started shooting two fingers in about 1956; and just didn't know to use 3. Works for me  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »
Brian,

IF the serving is sized CORRECTLY for your nocks, the part you are holding with your fingers is the same size with dacron or the FF type materials.  I build 12 strand 8125 strings, but I use .030 Halo serving to make the nock fit RIGHT.  Unless the serving on your dacron is too big for the nocks, you could not tell the difference in feel in a blind test in the drawing hand fingers.  

If I had to shoot a dacron string on a bow, I probably wouldn't shoot that bow.  I find it noisier and shockier to my joints and ears.  I also would have to shoot 2-5# more bow weight to get the same performance with dacron.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
FWIW, I shoot Dacron mostly. I have a couple of R/D longbows that I use 8125 on, but for the most part I shoot Hills and older recurves, and just prefer the Dacron. It always seems to me that whenever anyone mentions the speed advantage of a FF type string, they then add something about string silencers. If you have to hang stuff (weight) on your string to get it quiet, it seems to me that you would negate the speed advantage anyway.

I'm sure no expert, so I would like someone to 'splain it to me.

Harry Elburg told me once that most guys use too much string anyway, and that 12 strands of Dacron is good for anything up to 50#.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
I wouldn't use FF type strings on old bows even if the tips are reinforced.  The limbs themselves are subject to more stress with FF.  Considering the limb glue and fiberglass laminations have probably become brittle with age, you risk a delamination.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
Modern strings are much stronger,wear less and overall more durable than dacron on a hunting bow.It makes most bows feel a lot better and gets rid of the vibration and shock associated with dacron.I personally have never seen a bow that was quieter with dacron than with newer materails.I hear about it often but have not had results like that. jmo

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
carbon caster- I shoot with snap on 11/32 bjorn nocks; and the string below the nock is crimped down to where I can snap on a tiny carbon arrow nock with no problem.          

I really really can feel a difference between 18 strand FF and 18 strand dacron. The fast flight really makes my fingers hurt. Then again; like I say I shoot two fingers; and the majority of stress is on one finger. I realise I am probably the exception to the rules  ;)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
i shoot dacron on my 53# FF silvertip and it smokes an arrow. faster w/ df-97??  probably, but NOISIER.  speed doesn't kill...silence and accuracy do.

plus, i LOVE all my bows and FF is harder on a bow, whether it's built for it or not. i'd love to pass the bows down for generations.

just my 2 cents

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Is that a picture of a BW with your handle? Dacron will quiet it.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Yes it is a Black Widow , it's a painting done by Jack Paluh that I just happen to like.

Mike  :campfire:    :coffee:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©