3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana Bull... The joy and pain of elk hunting  (Read 488 times)

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana Bull... The joy and pain of elk hunting
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
The story of this bull starts this summer...

For those who remember my story from last year, I hunt with two old friends Brett and Jason.  They have hunted together since childhood.  I met them 6 or so years back, and together we have taken 13 bulls in 5 seasons.  These guys know how to get it done!  

Back to the summer,  Jason called us and gave us his great news. He drew a coveted Mountain Goat tag in the Crazies!   We were pumped for him...  Until we realized that may really impact our elk season.     :)    

After much planning and deliberation, Jason and Brett decided to hunt with compound bows this season.  Don't worry,  I don't even own a wheelie bow and wouldn't relent even if I did.  We did however all make a pact to shoot the first legal bull we could.   Our thinking was early elk kills would free up Jason to take off and chase a goat.  

Enter September....  We hunted two weekends a piece  early in the month and had no luck .  

Again it was time to return to our secret Bloody Ridge and try to pull off another miracle.  Fill three tags in 7 days....  To our amazement, It only took 4.     :)  

I know the politically correct on this site don't care about compound kills so I'll omit the pictures of Jason and Bretts bulls.  Its a shame however,  because Brett's bull was a dandy.  Mine was a meat bull ( i.e. a dink. )    

Ironically Brett shot his at 20ish on the first night.  Jason shot his at 12 yards only twenty minutes before I shot mine at 32!   Go figure.    We all  decide to "shoot what comes our way" and those guys get chip shots at nice bulls with compounds.    I on the other hand have to shoot a mile at a shrimp.   No worries....Truthfully,  I couldn't have been happier.

I'll give more details and some pictures when I return.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana Bull... The joy and pain of elk hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Wow, excited to see this. Congrats!!
Semper Fidelis

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
great story but where's the PICS   :bigsmyl:

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
:campfire:  can't wait to "hear" the rest!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
way cool but where are the pics?   :clapper:    :goldtooth:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
:notworthy:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »
:campfire:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Wow three Bulls in four days..!  Congrats...  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
WOW! Congrats to all 3 of you guys!

Bisch

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Sorry everyone....I am having trouble with the new photo bucket.  The internet I have is slow and the new "Beta" is maddening!!!!!!  Resizing takes forever and it keeps locking up.  

Any other ways to post photos?

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Well I'll spin the tale while my computer is catching up with the photo editing.  

Brett and I hiked into camp last Thurs with high hopes.   We have hunted this area with great success and it always holds bulls late in the season.    We left my house late and hiked in the dark.   This is a important point that will come into play later.....

Fri morning found us atop the ridge listening to a small herd bugle their way toward us.   We have seen this play out dozens of times before and thus just played it easy.  We keep track of the elk below us while waiting for the thermals to change.  

Once the thermals changed, we dropped in to make a play.   I was up front with the stick bow while Brett called and was to "pick up the slack" if one slipped by me.   We called in a hot bull that was coming in on a perfect line for me.  

The bull was bugling and walking slowly through the lodgepole.   He turned broadside at 30 and bugled again. I ran through my mental checklist.   He walked to 22 and was slightly quartering to me when he picked me out.  In a whirl he spun and was gone?   What did he see?  

Later that morning we watched two bulls wallow and chase cows.  However, the wind destabilized and we opted to pull out.  With no elk in range, we spent the afternoon on the ridge glassing for elk in positions we could move in on.  

At 3pm, I  awoke to a bugle that sounded close.  I moved to the rim of the ridge and glassed a great 7x7 that was alone.  I called once and he bugled immediately.   I grabbed Brett and said I think its on!   Brett glassed the bull, called twice .... the bull turned and was running at us from 300 yards.  It was on!

Without a word Brett shot off the ridge.  His turn.   He dove to the bottom of some hellish deadfall where we know a trail comes from the bull's direction.   I set up 100 yards up hill of Brett and kept the bull coming with calls.  The bull slipped through the timber...  then bugled so loud the timber rattled!   Brett did his job and it was over quickly.    

That night Jason joined us and we packed Bretts bull to camp....

The next day was Saturday and our turn to give it another shot.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Awesome Jeff.  I'll be back tomorrow for the rest!!

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Saturday passed rather uneventfully.  The highlight was glassing a bull that was well over 300.  We debated back and forth about his probable score.  I said 320, Brett 330 and Jason 350.  Who knows for sure because mid conversation the bull and cows start to bolt like they just winded people.  They were well upwind and 500 yards from us across a canyon.  No way it was us.  What was it?  

The answer came Sunday.  We hiked down the drainage from camp and stumbled into a CAMP not 200 yards from ours!  When we hiked in on Thurs in the dark, we marched right past it.    There were other hunters about.

Now lets get this straight, we have never seen another camp back in this location and have only seen one other person in 5 years.  We were peaved to say the least.  Its a free country and this is public land.  However it sometimes feels like an intrusion when you have such a good thing going.  It only takes one set of loose lips.....

Sunday morning was slow, but Sunday evening was on fire.  I came to within 45 yards of a giant herd bull.  The story is one that deserves its own topic.  "Running at a herd bull while bugling your head off".  Unconventional but it worked.   Anyway, a story for another day.  

Brett returned to camp Sunday night after packing his bull back to a safe cool place.  We then decided to visit our new neighbors.   Our neighbors were as feared.  They went on and on about the number of bugling bulls and the overall good size.  They" use to hunt the Breaks but have been looking for change".  They also mentioned a big group they hunt with, blah, blah, blah . ..... Paradise lost is all we could think.  We returned to our tent more than a little dejected.

Monday morning came with a somber mood.   Luckily the best salve for a wounded spirit is a huge herd of  bugling bulls competing for a hot cow.  That was the scenario unfolding below us.  

Again, we played the wind and ridge.  The plan worked to a tee.  The herd slowly worked towards us and we herd non stop bugling.  Two big herd bulls were competing and fighting.  Several satellites were circling like moons around Saturn. One satellite peeled towards and Jason and he dispatched it at 12 yards.  

Another satellite came in my direction but crossed me up.  The bull almost got around me, but luckily Jason saw what was happening and steered the bull just a little closer.....

Now I know some people are going to get their feathers ruffled but ....I took a long shot.  In fact it was the longest shot I have ever taken at an elk- 32 yards ( stepped off after the shot.)   I passed three elk at 15-25 early in the season because they were looking at me or were edgy.   This bull was standing broadside and looking away from me.  I felt surprisingly confident.  

I drew, anchored, sort of gapped it, and slowly squeezed it off.  It felt and looked perfect.   He didn't move until the arrow struck its mark.   The shot was perfect.  I was relieved and pleased.        :)    

Two bulls down in less than 20 minutes and we did it just how like it:  Coming to a caller and bugling their heads off.  

The season is over.  It was a series of ups and downs.  By the time we packed the bulls and camp out, we had logged 50 plus miles that week.  Painful, but oh so fun.  

As for next year, I think our secret is no longer SECRET.  We'll see.  Until then, its the sweet afterglow of an elk in the freezer.  

Thanks for coming along.  

Jeff

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
So for the details and a few more photos.  I finally got through with my photo bucket work.  (I hate that site by the way)

I shot the bull with a Toelke Lynx longbow.  61# at 29 in.  GT 55-75 with 350 up front.  Total arrow was 650 grains.

My new broad head tested this year

My shot

Off side penetration.  I actually cut my finger on the broad head while skinning this side.  I didn't expect it to be sticking out.  

Packing out the "Double"

And finally... the three amigos

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Cool !!!!
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »