3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finished an Asiatic Style Quiver  (Read 270 times)

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
Finished an Asiatic Style Quiver
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
I have recently bought the new model Grozer Bio Composite Magyar Recurve. I am waiting for delivery impatiently so I thought I would make myself a Quiver in the image of one Type used by some of the Eurasian Steppe Nomads

This Quiver is slightly Belled out and should hold a dozen Arrows with ease. It is reinforced and Broadhead capable

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/jackoarcher/PB290757.jpg

I was originally going to fit it with removable Belt Loops so I could use it with a Shoulder Strap for a little more versatility but Stupid punched the Slots at the wrong Angle so I could not fit the Belt Loops. A Happy Stuff Up as with the Shoulder Strap it hangs at the perfect Angle and does not flop about.

There was supposed to be a Gold Border between the Maroon of the Quiver Body and the Mexican Braid Stitch but I got Dye where I shouldn't have and had to Dye the Border Black.

Same deal with the Phoenix, it was meant to be Gold but I got Spec of Dye in the wrong Spot and decided to Dye it Black also

I mixed a gorgeous Blue with a hint of Mauve for the Blue Bell Flowers but when I applied the finish it diluted to a Grey with a hint of Mauve.

Instead of the bright breezy image I originally had it looks a little sinister in my view now. I'm glad I made those mistakes, it looks great.

Next is a matching Armguard, an Accesories Pouch which will be able to be worn on a Belt or suspended from a Shoulder Strap ans soon as my replica 10th Century Viking Blade arrives I'll fit an Antler Handle and make a matching Sheath for it also.
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finished an Asiatic Style Quiver
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
hey jacko thats mighty fine work well done.   :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Nice. . .  I would be proud of that one.
ChuckC

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
Nice job, looks great

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
Very nice, I like the stitching, good job!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I like it !!  Love theme work among different pieces of equipment.  Good Job!!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Very nice!
Hap

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Folks. I used the Quiver for the first time today. I carries beatifully, it's so comfortable I am not aware I am carrying it.

I need to do a little thinking about the design of and how to attach an Accesories Pouch for a spare String, Multtool etc to the Quiver, probably on the Shoulder Strap.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 05:00:00 AM »
Looks real good.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Edmund of Penyngton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
It is a beautiful quiver, and it is a very unusual style.  At least it's a style I've never seen before.  Is it a modern Eurasian style, or is it older in design?

The darker color of the flowers looks like it was a happy accident; I can't imagine them being a brighter blue and looking quite the same.  Then again, that might just be me... lol  

You mentioned waiting on a 10th century viking blade to match to it... Are you a re-enactment archer, or just a collector?  I only ask because I'm involved in re-enactment/living history myself.  SCA to be exact.
“So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men." -- Maurice Thompson, 1878

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Good Morning Edmund, this type of Quiver has been in use to the best of my knowledge for over 1300 years. There are references that describe this Type of Quiver as a "Stand By" Quiver and that it has been in use since Primitive times  - what ever that means

Here's a link to where I first saw a similar Asiatic Quiver, perhaps Eurasian may be a better description

http://hungarian-bow.com/archery-accessories.  

While I'm at it here's a link to the Asian Traditional Archery Site, hours of fun here

http://www.atarn.org/subject_index.htm  

The more I learn about Archery around the World in Ages Past the more I understand how little I know

I am not an active Reinactor though I have done Selfbow and Arrow making demonstrations at the Abbey Medieval Fayre which is the biggest event of it's type in the Southern Hemisphere. I am more interested in learning about the vast array of Archery Equipment through making and using it than joining a Reinacment Group.

This type of Quiver is an evolutionary advance for me, I'm more of a Caveman type     :biglaugh:    

I will be doing a Selfbow and Arrow making demonstration at next Years Abbey Fayre and I have grown tired of Outfit I have used at the other Fayre's as a full length Tunic is too hot to wear when working hard making a Selfbow and Arrows with period correct Tools

I will assemble a 10th Century Outfit because the Pants and short Tunic will be far cooler to wear. I bought the Knife blank as there is some evidence of Viking influence in 10th Century Central Europe and the edges of the Eurasian Steppe so their is a tenuous link to the Steppe Quivers and my new Magyar Bow, Fair Dinkum reinactors would probably be most unhappy - they'll get over it

regards Jacko

-Charles Darwin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©