3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Knife for field dressing?  (Read 283 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Knife for field dressing?
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
Aarrrrghhh! I managed to nick the paunch on the deer I killed last weekend,  first time I've done that in forever.  In my defense, it was a very fat doe.  I keep all my gutting essentials in a surgical bag in my daypack.  It was getting kind of crowded and I kicked my Wyoming knife to the curb this year... big mistake.  If I can just make that first incision through the abdomen to where I can get two fingers in to lift & separate (is that plagiarizing a bra commercial?), I'm good to go.  I've got a nifty little Izula 2 fixed blade, that excels at everything else. I've used about every blade/guthook combination under the sun, but seem to always come back to that Wyoming knife. I know it's ugly and not "trad" looking, but I hate the smell of steaming acorn mast.  Is there a better mousetrap for that one little cut?  Makes me want to learn the gutless method!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Knife for field dressing?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
First item I pack in my "gut bag" is my Wyoming knife! The other thing I do is take a single edge razor blade to shave the chest hair all around the area of that first insicion.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
In my opinion, it's simply a matter of being careful. I still manage to nick it sometimes. I try to start the cut down low or up just where the sternum and paunch area meet. There seems to be slightly less pressure there allowing me to get those two fingers you mentioned in there and to get the operation started.

A slightly dropped pointed blade helps too, which is exactly why I always make more of those than any other hunting blade pattern.

All that said, I know the Wyoming knife would be good at that operation. But there's plenty of things you can nick once you get inside too, so practice and technique applies here as with about anything.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
With apologies to Ray for using a production knife.

I bought one of the Buck Pack Lite combos a couple of years ago and love it. There's a drop point knife and a separate gut hook. I like a gut hook for opening the abdomen but when you put it on the back of the blade you have. To turn the blade toward you and I have a tendency to cut myself when I do that. This combo is very compact and light and really works well for me.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I've probably field dressed over 50 deer with a knife, and just 2 with the Wyoming knife.  It is not necessary, but makes it a little easier to do a clean job with a bit less intense concentration.  Like you, I remember the time I made an "oops!" with a knife into the intestine/bladder.  Not pretty in 10 degree weather and falling darkness!

Last Christmas, I received a a "Swing Blade" knife by Outdoor Edge. It has a drop point blade that swivels around to a very interesting gutting blade.  Not a hook, but a design that looks like it might have real possibilities. I am sure the steel is nothing to write home about, but it looks like a neat approach to handling an old problem. We'll see when (if) I kill my first deer this year, but it might be worth considering...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
I too like my wyo knife...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I have both, but like to keep things simple. Stuff happens, but i'll take my chances. That means one knife for me. The wyoming knife is great but I have not used it lately.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
I start at the rib cage. If you get too deep at the point where that flap of cartilage is at the bottom its not going to puncture much. I split the cage with some pruners first then lay my off hand flat under the skin between hide and gut membrane and run knife and hand down together.

I also don't split the pelvic bone anymore. Take time to get everything out correctly and it isn't necessary IMO. I then remove the tenderloins and place in ziplock bag. Many times these little jewels get damaged or dried out being exposed between the woods and home.

I like to do everything from dress to bone with a single knife. Less to carry and clean.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Richard,

I use the Old Timer USA made S158OT Sharpfinger Drop Point Guthook. Cut the lower sternum to prevent piercing the gut and work your fingers in and get the guthook positioned and then zipper it open keeping the fingers as a guide. Just be careful not to get too close to the carbon blade tip  ;)

I carry it while hunting along with my regular pocket knife. I also take a round diamond hone to freshen it up when necessary, which is not too common.

The price of the USA made OT's has gone up sharply in the last few years. I've had mine for around 20 or more years.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Love the wyoming knife - done hundreds of animals with the first one I bought in the 80s - resharpen the blades on a gatco - give them out ocasionaly to up and coming woodsman.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©