3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vern Struble: April 4, 1920 - Sep 28, 2012  (Read 469 times)

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Vern Struble: April 4, 1920 - Sep 28, 2012
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
“Last night a long-term PBSer, and Oregon bowhunting legend, Vern Struble passed away. He was a mentor to many of us in PBS, and he brought the joy of shooting the bow to literally thousands of young people through his teaching in 4H archery for close to half a century. He will really be missed by many in this state, in our organization, and by anybody who got to know Vern...he was one "class act" and truly represented the heart and soul of PBS and bowhunting "done right." More information will follow on a memorial service for Vern."

Vern served many times in every office of the Benton Bowmen of Corvallis.  It was part of his continued giving to archery.  His induction into the 4H Hall of Fame recognized this generous spirit.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vern Struble: April 4, 1920 - Sep 28, 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  There was a great article about him in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine a few years back that I really enjoyed reading.
Moon

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
GODs speed

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
My deepest condolences. Prayers sent to all touched by Vern's life.

Althought I never met Vern as soon as I saw the name I recognized the man. In Jay Massey's book "A Thousand Campfires" there is a wonderful story with a picture of Vern.

The picture on page 26 flashed across my minds eye and just got done re-reading that story for the ummteenth time.

Just a few pargraphs from the book....

"One image of Vern cropped up whenever I thought of him. In it, he was standing in a sunny glade, shooting at a haybale target sisty-five yards down the hill. Another archer had just purchased a new, jet-black recurved bow and wanted Vern's opinion of it.

After snapping one of his own arrows on the string of the unfamiliar bow, Vern had smoothly drawn the sixty-five pound weapon and settled into his anchor point, middle finger of his drawing hand at the corner of his mouth. He held absolutely steady for two, three seconds and then the bow limbs sprang forward with a blur. An instand later there was a loud WHAP! as Vern's arrow hit the paper target in the middle of the five-ring."

Later in the same story: "Then something happened, one of those things that leaves an impression on you forever.

The bull crashed through the willow thicket, heading upriver. Then for no obvious reason, he stopped in the middle of a small opening in the thicket, directly opposite Vern.

I glanced across the river at Vern. He was standing coolly , at least sixty yards away from the bull, holding his bow at full draw, rock steady, waiting. The image of him shooting on thh downhill target flashed through my mind.

Then there was the snap of the bowstring and the point of light that was Vern's arrow flashed across the river and hit the bull with the sound of ripping canvas. The bull spun sideways and crashed off into the forest. A few seconds later there was a great thrashing and then silence......We followed the blood trail and found the bull dead one hundred yards inside the forest. He was a fine moose, a fifty-five incher....Then we found the wide four blade slice where Vern's arrow had cut through both lungs and exited through a rib on the opposite side. It had been a dead center lung shot, as close to a classic bowshot as I'd ever seen."

Well done Vern indeed!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Vern will be missed as one of the greats that helped promote our love for traditional archery.  My condolences to the family.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I've met and talked with Vern on a few occasions over the past many years....a class act and role model for many of us.   He will be missed.  Godspeed, Vern.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
He will be greatly missed,this is a big loss for the sport and for PBS.
Prayers sent from Italy,God Bless the family and the close friends.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Sad to hear that. My condolences.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I first met Vern many years ago, he was a man for the times. I'm sure Jay Massey is there to greet him

:campfire:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Never had the pleasure of meeting Vern, but felt I knew him through all the stories. He was a man to admire and someone who would be worth following in his footsteps.
Godspeed.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I agree with Ron... I am sure
Vern and Jay already have a hunt planned in heavens wilderness! GodSpeed Vern.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Sad news indeed.

I was fortunate enough to set around a campfire once with Vern and hear a few stories.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
"[dntthnk]"  
Prayers for his family.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
prayers for his family and friends

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
I had the pleasure of shooting a couple of North American Longbow Safari's with Vern; He was a "Class Act".  At the PBS Convention in San Antonio  Kent Brown and I took a stroll down to the museum, had dinner, and then viewed the exhibits with him and Tim Miggs.  It was an evening  I will always treasure.

Vern, go in peace, hopefully we will share another campfire on the other side.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Rest in peace Vern.
James Kerr

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
My condolences to his family.
Leland

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
May God rest his soul.  Godspeed towards Heaven.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
God bless.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I had the privilege of meeting Vern back in the late 80's. I had never touched a traditional bow and had bought a used Brackenbury recurve.

I gave Vern a call on the advice from the local bow shop and to make a long story short, he gave me directions to the bow range outside Corvallis, OR. On the rainy October day Vern introduced me to the wonderful world of traditional archery. I also was blessed to have taken the  bowhunter safety course with Vern and Stan Miles as the instructors. It was through this course that I was able to hook some of my other friends with the traditional bug.

Vern was always willing to answer questions and help us in anyway that he could; he will be greatly missed.
My prayers go out to his family and friends.

God bless,
Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©