3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I dont know anything about laminating, please help  (Read 258 times)

Offline bowman_79

• Trad Bowhunter
I dont know anything about laminating, please help
« on: August 11, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
I want to attempt making a laminated longbow hybrid. Its going to be a target bow. Im shooting for 35#@28". The bow is going to be a 68" takedown. I want to use parallel actionboo limbs with carbon on both the back and belly of the limbs. How thick should each actionboo lams be and the carbon? Oh, How wide should I start them out of the riser? Thanks for looking.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I dont know anything about laminating, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Contact Binghams in Utah.  They are a great source of knowlege and materials.  There was a thread last week that they may be going out of business.  Not sure about that.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I talked to them the other day, no mention of business problems.
I second kctreeman, Binghams is a good place to call.  They have all the laminations you need as well.
Dan

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Hopefully some of our bowyers can chime in to help you out too.It seems to me that's some project your taking on for yourself. Is it your first bow build? There are alot of variables I understand when carbon comes into play. Good Luck with your project. I'd like to see pics when you get started.

Offline bowman_79

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Its going to be my first attempt at a lam bow. Ill have to give binghams a call. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Im just trying to make a fast bow, and I heard some good things about carbon (less shock, no memory, and a quicker bow). What do you guys think?

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi bowman79,if this is your first, make it simple,use glass and maple and a cheaper handle wood like shedua.There so many variables like limb design(shaping),tillering,why learn mistakes on expensive carbon.After your first,by all means go for it.

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
If you don't mind a little advice from a bowyer I'd like to help. It is like everyone has said, there are a lot of variables to consider.  If you want to send me a personal email with a phone number I would be more than happy to talk for a while.  [email protected] .  I may not be able to get you dead on because the length of the bow is longer than anything that I build.  I'll do my best to answer any of your questions though.  Binghams is a great resource, but they are pretty big on sticking to the designs that they offer prints and kits for.  Whatever you decide to do, good luck-   Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©