3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First "Tough" Hunt  (Read 268 times)

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
First "Tough" Hunt
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Next Saturday will be the opening day of the 'regular' Virginia archery season and I will be headed to Central VA to join some of my hunt club buddies for the fun.  It's primarily a gun club (in a dog county) that has a few bowhunters.  Although there are about three of us who were using training wheels, another 5 or so had gone to crossbow, the rest are gun hunters who don't show up until mid-November.  

I will the only trad guy in with a group of crossbows and wheelies and I expect to come home empty handed. . . .and I'm OK with that.  I won't say I've closed the book on my wheelie, but I have definitely put it on the shelf for now.

This year, I am redefining what I consider a trophy.  EVERY hunt will be a great hunt!

Kingsnake     :archer:

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First "Tough" Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Henry Ford said "whether you believe a thing to be true or not, you're right."
Be Positive. If you expect to come home empty handed, you will.
You CAN do this thing. Be the only one successful.
More fun to think like that. That last sentence is more like it!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Good luck!

You never know? I just got home from an elk hunt where there were 14 compound hunters and 4 trad hunters. The only bull was shot at 8yds bu a guy with his recurve. It makes me smile every time I think about it.

Bisch

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Dont be so negative King...think positive..hunt the way you would if you had wheel bow just keep in mind the limited range of your new chosen weapon...good luck!

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I think you will surprise yourself once you get out there. Hunt smarter than they do and pay attention to treestand placement. JMO

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Good luck. I head out with the Omega fit the very first time in a couple of weeks

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks, all.  I AM positive I will have a good time.  If I connect, that's gravy.

Thanks, again, for the encouragement!

Kingsnake

Offline Gump21Bravo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Good luck Doug. I have no doubt you will leave there with great memories and a deer or two.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Don't think about coming home empty handed simply because the other guys are more "high tech". Those guys with compounds and crossbows can only kill those animals that come close enough to present a shot. The same is true with your trad bow.  Therefore, if you have a good shot opportunity, you have the same chance of success they do. There is nothing magic about wheels on a bow. Its more about the archer handling the bow.Good luck, and I'm betting on you.
Sam

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks, Craig & Sam.  I am excited to be out there.  I am not a competitive guy, so it's not about me vs my friends, it's about me vs my previous success.  I understand what Sam is saying about the limitations of the equipment and the limitations of the shooter.  I just know that I will have to pass on a few deer this year that I would have launched an arrow at last year with the compound.  But that's ok . ..I will have fun and hunt hard.

Kingsnake

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©