3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just one bow? or many?  (Read 733 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Just one bow? or many?
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Wondering how many of you have relegated yourself to just one bow (ie only KMags or only MOABS).  Do you feel your shooting improved significantly?
I own 10 bows and each has their own personality and feel.
As of late though, I've begun to consider selling off all but one and keeping the one that works for me.  I would get another one just for a backup and then excel ( or at least get decent...LOL) with that bow.
Would like your thoughts on pros amd cons of it.
Thanks
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just one bow? or many?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
I shoot a Cari-Bow Slynx-PERIOD Until deer season is over then I may play with  my selfbow some chasin rabbits.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I like all mybows but I do dedicate myself to just one for the season with a backup along just in case. I've also started thinking about getting rid of more than a few that i don't use much anymore. I tend to use the same couple over and over...Wes Wallace mentor, Bear TD and  Stalker

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I have one bow period at the monent. A pronghorn longbow. Ill probably get one more for a back up and would love to have one of the pronghorn recurves!  For me I have always like shooting the same bow... Just feels better to me I guess
Levi Bedortha

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a bunch, too many. But to be honest, I love them all. I like to have a spare, or two, or ten, .....!!!!!!!!! And the truth is, they all shoot about the same. Bears, Damon Howatts, Samick, Ben Pearson, etc., for me, after setting them up to shoot off the shelf, they all shoot about the same at 20 yards or so, provided I'm in my groove and able to concentrate 100%. At longer distances, the longer, heavier riser 62" AMO's bows do shoot better, but at hunting range (for me, under 20 yards), 52", 56", 58" all shoot like my 60" AMO's, and vice versa.
Except for the old Red Wing Hunter (58" AMO). It fits my hand better, points quicker, lines up faster with my eye, even at my 29.5" draw. Of course I should expect this, as Bob Lee designed it.

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Sold all but one of my bows about 6 months ago.I decided to just stick with one bow at least till hunting season is over.It hasn't been easy I have been tempted a few times with bows in the classified.But I am shooting better then ever by just shooting one bow,I also have a set of back up limbs for this bow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I have tried to thin the herd many times, it don't work. I like bows, if they are near the same poundage I can shoot any of them well on any given day. Every time I have sold a few it just gave me more money to buy something even better or that I always wanted. I sold 4 bows and next thing ya know I had a Silvertip. I guess selling 4 and getting one is thinning the herd....lol!   :dunno:   I just like bows!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
One bow for me.

I decided to take the money I would spend on more bows and invest it into ONE big hunt each year.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I have only two custom bows and both are Tomahawks. The other bows I have don't get much attention as they were bows I bought while I was still learning the basics and didn't want to spend the big bucks on a bow I couldn't shoot to its potential.
James Kerr

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I only have one bow and don't really want more.  I could see the benefit of having a backup bow but in reality I consider my longbow to be more reliable than my firearms and should my longbow fail, I still have guns to hunt with.  

I have thought about selling my one piece bow to buy a two piece take down so it'll fit better in my single-cab truck.  I don't know if that will happen though.  My Sierra shoots so freaking smooth that it would be hard to convince me to give it up.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
I'm almost exactly like Sam. Sold them all but two and save my money for hunting trips. I have two Silvertips and don't see a need to change. But nothing wrong with those that do.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Although I own a Black Widow with two sets of limbs and would never sell it.  I have become a one bow guy, Quinn.  I have owned several quality bows and they all had their individual issues, all were beautiful and I loved them all.  For me, nothing fits my hand and eye like the mighty Quinn. I have just acquired my third riser and 6th set of limbs.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I use different bows for different situations. I usually hunt with 6 or so different bows each season. I practice with them all and am just as accurate with one as the other.
I'm like Ron, I love bows.
I certainly see nothing wrong with shooting only one bow, nor shooting many. As long as accuracy is not compromised.
David M. Conroy

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I use a Toelke Super D right now.  I went through quite a few before I found "the one".  I have a back up bow, but haven't shot it in a while.  Never thought I'd be a one bow guy, but here I am.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
For years I had many (32 at one time with 19 being Black Widows), and was mediocre at best in my ability to shoot anything! I then started selling off the herd and centering on one longbow and one recurve. My dream bow would be 1 riser with recurve as well as a set of longbow limbs. This would give me the same grip. Never happened, however, I have found my dream longbow as well as a week ago found my dream recurve. They both melt into my hand gripwise and they both shoot exactly the same! They have boosted my confidence over the top, and to me, confidence is what I needed!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I'd always want a backup.  If you have only one bow and something goes wrong with it, or it's stolen, then what?  I wouldnb't want to be caught without a bow during hunting season.

I have about a dozen bows, and almost all of them get used for hunting at one time or another throughout the year.  I don't buy the argument that one will drastically improve one's accuracy by shooting only one bow.  A good shot can shoot any bow accurately.  It's well executed and regular practice, not the number of bows one has, that determines how accurate one will be.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Just the Toelke Chinook, though I do have 4 of them right now.  I'll sell a couple here soon, just have to decide which two to keep.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I too have thought about going with one bow (of course I would want a similar backup) but I think I would get better only shooting one bow verses confusing my brain with multiple bows that each shoot differently & have different grips.
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Two of the same for me. I have 2 Kanati longbows

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm with ron w. I just like bows. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©