3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just one bow? or many?  (Read 735 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just one bow? or many?
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
One bow for me. I have a "backup", but never shoot it. It was my first bow ( I'm only on my 4th after about 6 years), and I wouldn't want to rely on it, but figure it would be something to shoot in a pinch.
Shooting a Selway Lil Mag for about a year now, and after modifying the grip a bit ( added some palm swell and wrist shape) I find it fits just about perfectly. I'd like to find something the same, or similar, just to have a backup I could shoot as comfortably.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I have several that I shoot on a regular basis.
   At my age, if I have not shot for a few days or  weeks , I have a much lighter bow  to work into my shooting form, THEN moving into my regular weight hunting bows.  I also like to have a back up, and then shoot a few different bows near the season  to make sure I have a "FEEL " for them  JUST IN CASE .
    Right now my main bow is a Fedora Hybrid Extreme   . It's the one that is  "RIGHT ON "  for me right now . I'll hunt with that for the season    Unless something goes wrong .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
3 Schafer Silvertip recurves
1 Brackenbury Quest recurve
1 Cari-bow Slynx longbow
1 Bear Type 1 A recurve

Shoot and hunt with them all. Same arrow out of all of them. AD Trad 31" with 100 gr insert and 300 gr point. Only other bow on order is a Brack Peerless and it will be tuned to the same arrow.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
My bow herd is like the tide ....forever changing....

:^)

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
I have many but only shoot my ILF...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I have a few but try not to switch during season. Each bow takes another set of arrows to make, and the process is time consuming and costly.

Each bow shoots a bit different too. Case in point: I'd been shooting a favorite juniper bow over the summer and shooting it really well. But for the small game season I switched to a hickory flatbow made just for the purpose. It's POI with the arrows I have for it is high and left of the POI of my juniper bow and its arrows. Maybe further matching of arrows would close that gap, but I have what I have right now. Both arrow sets fly well out of their respective bows -just a little differently.

In the field I've found the discrepancy a tough one to adjust for, being grooved in for the juniper bow. At least it's something I have to REMIND myself to adjust for. Come to anchor, then consciously make the adjustment, then release. I thought I had it licked this morning, socking pine cones and snapping mullein stalks at will, then I went ahead and missed two grouse, just high and left!

The first bird was through cover but I found a little hole amidst the tangle to slip an arrow through. I had to adjust for the trajectory since the hole was closer to me than the bird. I made the adjustment, and ... forgot to make the aiming adjustment again! I watched the arrow slip through the hole unscathed, only to fly just over the bird's back end! Add an additional calculation, like tracking trajectory, and I'm back shooting in my groove -the groove honed to the wrong bow.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
I have 3, shoot primarily one at the moment. I think everybody needs a back-up, though, and I like having a lighter bow to help work back up if I ever have to lay off for a couple of weeks.  I think three is optimal for me, though I don't think I have quite the right three at the moment.  I'd like them all to be 68", very mildly R/D longbows with slightly dished grips. The only differences I'd want would be in weight - 55, 50, and 45 # @ 28, and some variety in wood.
Jim

Offline brinkwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I have to many and can't shoot them all at once. I think it's more of a gotta have type thing that always gets me.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I have too many on the wall collecting dust but am getting my preferences narrowed down. I'll probably always try others as its too fun to play with them but focus on one before hunting season and stick with that through the season. This year my primary bow is a Northern Mist Shelton.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©