3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TX season opener  (Read 202 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
TX season opener
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Couldn't make it yesterday but I'm in my new Barronett blind early...bank god cause its been raining for a day straight.  They are calling for rain till 6pm but hoping it'll break and the deer will get up on their feet.  I got a cup of hot coffee and a jacket to just relax in nature  :)
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TX season opener
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I did not even go this weekend. To much rain, besides I usually wait till the 2nd week in October to hunt. Usually alot cooler although I wish I would of gone today it has cooled off and the rain letup. I bet them deer are gonna move this evening.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I did see 2 does both w/ twins who still have small spots.  One doe was huge!!! She never came in for a shot only the yearlings.  Then reseeded the winter plot, fertilized the. Some raking all in the rain  :)
Yeah this morning should be great, nice cold front

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Good luck JB.  I've got to wait another week or two until my gall bladder surgery heals.  It's kill'in me on the side lines.

Hope you get a biggun.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
LOL- good luck D Key, hope for a quick recovery

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
be sure look around after each paragraph
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Me and two others went to our lease in Lampasas county.  Rained out most of Saturday, though we got to hunt that afternoon.  Sunday was windy with occasional rain, but we got to hunt most of the afternoon.  I made a natural ground blind on a field I've been scouting since last season, and I also got to do a little bit of still hunting (my usual mode of hunting).

I saw a group of 3 does + 2 fawns twice on Saturday from the blind; a lone doe later on near dark.  No shot opportunities.

Sunday I had a doe + fawn heading my way in the morning, but I think she winded me as she turned them around.  Bumped a bedded down buck in the afternoon; I got stupid and was doing too much walking and too little looking.

Just before dark on Sunday, had a nice 6 or 8 point (couldn't make out if he had brow tines, but he had 3 on each side at least) leap out of the trees near my ground blind, staring at me the entire time.  It was quite odd as I'd had deer stare right at me and not give me more than a glance to this point.  He kept his distance and just kept staring right at me, stopping at about 60 yards in the field, doing the head bob, etc.  Eventually, he had enough and took off.  Nice stocky body, good spread on his horns.

The other guys didn't see a whole lot.  One saw some small does, and the other did see some bucks but nothing legal to shoot (our county has antler restrictions).

One of the guys stayed by himself and near dark last night had 3 bucks come in to his feeder; took a shot at an 8-pt.  From what I've heard, apparently he missed (no blood, found the arrow today with nothing on it).

I may go back this weekend by myself, it's supposed to be cooler and hopefully rain free.
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
Sunday was nice barely 50, had to break out my GFA wool pullover.  Saw a buck 3 pts on one side then a spike.  I couldn't remember the AR rules but he stopped outside me shooting distance anyway. I checked and is legal and a good buck to take out if the heard, he was big too!
Does came in but again very spooky, when they where in range 1 would be staring at me so no shoots.  Great day!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
I went Sunday morning. Saw a whitetail doe, but it never came any closer than about 30 yards. Way out of my comfort zone for taking a shot.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©