3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 missed shots already  (Read 340 times)

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
4 missed shots already
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
ive shot at 4 deer so far with my longbow and the first two the arrow went right where i wanted it to but my aim spot was not low enough and they both ducked right under it.  the third and fourth i shot to far back and to low.  i dont know whats im doing wrong but im sure being nervous as all getout has something to do with trying to bring down my first traditional deer.  i mean i shoot just fine at home a half hour before i go out and when the time comes well i guess you could say i choke.  i think the answer is to find bigger deer! a deer a good four times the size they are now would be much easier to hit.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 missed shots already
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Did you miss all 4 deer completely and how far were your shots?  
  Keep your shots inside your effective range, whatever that may be.  It is great to get excited, but maintain control of your shot sequence and remember to pick a spot.
  Good Luck!!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I think most of us have experienced this.  You get excited.  You want to get that deer.  Your shooting falls apart!  Try this.  Next time a deer you want to kill comes into your range, try to tell yourself its a 3D target.  Go through your entire shot routine just like you would if it were a 3D target.  This often works for me when I am getting the jitters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Don't look at the whole deer, pick not only a spot but a hair in that spot, breath and execute the shot. That being said, if your not excited when this all goes down....type to take up another pastime!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Well it happens and be glad you did not wound any. Secondly , I would work on quieting your bow down , silencers or tune it in better, other then that just keep at it and you will connect, there should be no nerve issues after seeing four deer in close lol.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Yep. Just relax. Easier said than done, I know.  I'm a semi-converted stickbow hunter.  I've only gotten 2 does with the stickbow, so I'm no expert.  Squirrels, rabbits, or any other legal small game animal makes good practice as long as you like eating that kind of stuff.  ;)  

I probably just live a couple minutes from you. Small world, huh? The wind was wrong for me this morning, so I'll probably head out to Clinton to the range for a little PT (practice time).

Maybe see you out there someday.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
It sounds like to me you are dropping your bow arm to see if where you shot if you missed all four by hitting low.
Try to keep the bow arm stable until the arrow hits.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by kansas stik man:
......i think the answer is to find bigger deer! a deer a good four times the size they are now would be much easier to hit.
I think your answer may be to hunt elk
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
You are not alone.... i know quite a few excellent archers that come apart at the seems when they get a live animal in front of them....

Ron W and Jonsi has the solution... do not look at the whole deer, and pick a tiny spot to concentrate on.... if they are litterally ducking the arrow before it gets there, you may want to look at raising your brace height and adding silencers to quiet your set up down....

if that doesn't work.... try a spear.   :goldtooth:

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
It's easier to hit a rabbit than an elk!

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I think builder has a good point.most shots missed are from breaking your form.it hard not to try to see your strike..nothing moves after the shot!!!!
  hopefully your heart beating hard does not go away..just controll the rest of you.if your heart stops beating in your throat you can always take up pool..  :bigsmyl:

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I try to down play the before the shot situation in my head. I think "I'm probably not going to even shoot that deer", "maybe I will just pick a spot and draw", "just a 3d target", "its amazing how calm I am right now".

Then at some point during all this the green light goes off. You watch that arrow disappear behind shoulder and hang on for the adrenaline ride.

Shooting at calm deer will help also. I would rather shoot at one one a slow walk than stopped with ears going every which way.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  :readit:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Lots of things can contribute to a miss.  But for me, it's all a mental game.  I need to convince myself that I WILL kill that deer!  If even the slightest doubt creeps into my mind I am doomed.  If I think "I hope I don't miss" I inevitably will.  It's the power of positive thinking versus negativity.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kansas stik man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
all great words of wisdoms, ill try them all i really wanna put some meat in the freezer with the stick but as of right now its not going so well , and all my shots are about 15 yards so thats in my comfort zone i just seem to miss.  one thing i know is not helping is that when i do get a shot on a deer i always freak out that they are going to turn and run when they turn for me, so i know for a fact that im rushing the shot and i know thats not helping but i get pretty nervous. so ill keep trying ,  i wont give up.
JD EVANS
------------
KAW RIVER KNIVES

STICKS AND STRINGS, A SIMPLE STEP BACK IN TIME!!!

Offline jkcerda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I'll take a complete miss a lot better than a bad hit

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Read Jay Kidwell's book.  100% success on Target and animal panic.  Very common, but can be resolved.  "Button method" has worked awesome for me.  High shots usually mean looking at a "zone" or entire shoulder!

If you are getting into deer, you got the hunting thing figured out fine!

BTW- I live in your backyard!!!

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Since you are getting shots and missing like you say your just getting the old fever.
Somehow don't make it so important to kill a deer right off.
If possible just watch some in range deer and plan not to shoot. Keep telling yourself it's too little or I'm not shooting,a doe. Then in the close range in counter after studying the deer picking various marks or hairs for shots, just draw and hit one of those hairs.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »
Relax, pick a spot oh ya STAY CALM!! Lol best of luck to ya
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©