3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just got my yew staves, now what?? Pictures included.  (Read 1472 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just got my yew staves, now what?? Pictures included.
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Yes, I'd heatbend it again.  But only if it is down to floor tiller.  Assume 3# per inch of draw so 20# at 12" means about 32# at 16".  This is pretty light if you are working to 55-60#.  You can still make it but you have to be super careful on tillering.  It's fine for heatbending.

Let's back up just a bit.  When I tiller, I don't like to bend much at all before I am positive my layout is a perfect as it can be.

I rough the bow out and get it all cleaned up.  Then I basically lay it out again, being very careful that my width profile is perfect.

Then I you start floor tillering.  Bend it just a few inches and feel the weight.  If you have a bow that you can compare it to, this helps a lot for you first few times.

The rest of tillering for me is explained here:    Tillering 101
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Garza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
The bow looks like it's coming along, but as I've said before I think you're moving a little too fast and that you're going to miss you draw.  Not a big deal, I suppose, as you can always cut 1/2 inch off each nock and retiller until you reach it, but you won't end up with a bow the length you wanted.

If I were in your shoes, I'd set the bow aside and take a few weeks off.  Then come back to it and try and work a little slower.  But as my previous posts have shown, I'm definitely biased towards going more slowly...

Hope you end up with a bow you're proud of!

-Eric
-Eric Garza
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Only when the last tree has been cut, the last river poisoned, and the last meadow paved will Man realize that he cannot eat money...

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Checked out that tillering 101 and will definetly use that page thanks John.  

Eric Im not nearly as concerned about length on this one to be honest, I intentionally made it long because I figured something could go wrong and I might need to shorten it a touch.   I havent really touched the bow (taking wood off) in close to a week now, Im not arsed about finishing it on any time table.  I knew the tillering was gonna be the most difficult portion of the build for me and would take the most time.  Ill get back to the tillering when I feel comfortable with the process, not sure how long that might take me though =).
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Rascal, Sorry I have'nt check this post for awhile. I'm in Allamakee co.N.E.corner of Iowa.PM me if I can be of any help.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©