3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck MI Hunters!  (Read 779 times)

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck MI Hunters!
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
We camped out up in osceola co. last week (10/17 - 10/21). It was rainy, rainy, rainy, but I think that had the deer on the move and made it quiet for hunters to move about. So, we saw plenty of deer. My oldest son (14) got his first bow shots. Missed both. One a spike and one a 4 pt. He admitted to severe buck feaver.

We had one buck chase a doe past us. She got to 12 yards and he flared off at about 25 yards. They both moved off without offering my 11 year old the shot. We had improvised a blind in a blowdown with a tarp and a bunch of brush so that we could sit in the rain with out getting soaked to the bone. The buck didn't like the blind, I think. We hunted it, again, on Saturday night and a group of 5 deer came through about 60 yards away. I think the last one was that buck trailing the group. I figure they didn't like our blind and just started moving through a little ways down the ridge.

One guy in the group saw a black bear. That was pretty cool. I wish I had seen it.

While sitting by myself, I had 2 other deer at the 20 yard line or closer, but none offered a shot.

I was a great camp out.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Forgot to post this on this thread (put it up in Highlights), but took my second doe of the season with my recurve.  Here's what I wrote up in that thread:

Went up to Northern MI this weekend, and decided to go back to the same area (different stand) the morning after my father shot a nice buck the night before (buck was trailing a doe that was definitely close to being "in", and at 8:00 it was like someone flipped a switch - all of a sudden I had deer everywhere around me...does to the North, others to the South, walking directly at me from the West.

10 minutes later, I had 8 does and fawns within 15 yards of the tree, so I picked out the biggest doe, waited until she turned broadside, and just as I started to draw the bow, another doe caught me moving and went on high alert. After a 5 minute stare-down, she finally accepted that I wasn't a danger, and went back about her business. One of the other old does got nervous and left with her fawns, leaving two does and one doe fawn. The biggest doe turned broadside at 17-18 yards, and knowing that it's right at the edge of my comfort range, I purposefully aimed low, knowing she'd either duck into it or I'd miss her clean. Got the 'tip to full draw and let it go, and watched the arrow arc through the air, saw her duck, but didn't see the arrow hit. Got my binos out and saw my arrow stuck in the ground covered in blood. Regrouped everyone, went back, and she'd barely made it 50 yards (went around the edge of some pines - couldn't see her fall).

Autopsy showed a heart shot - I definitely hit her low - much lower than I expected, but turned out great. 40th overall with a bow, and 3rd traditional

Entrance hole on her upper leg:

Bloodtrail:

With the cold front dropping temps today, I'll be back out in the tree Saturday afternoon looking for a decent buck...
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Good one Rathbuck!  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Nice, congrats! Heading up to camp in the morning, should be a great weekend for seeing deer!

Good luck everyone!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Public land buck who was chasing a doe this evening....his last doe chase (grin)

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
way to go guys ,very nice animals congratulations, gib

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
@Brad , that Centaur head looks like the way to go! Have to try that one!

Got this guy from the ground in Salem Twp (Northville, MI) on a woody/ brushy 5.25 acre parcel we own across the road from Maybury State park. About a 9 yard shot.  Asbell wool did a damn good job.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Nice deer, guys! Now I'm super pumped to get up there! Finally get to hit the woods again this evening til Tuesday...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Good luck guys, its starting to kick off here and guys I'm talking to are seeing lots of chasing the last few days.

Nice one Todd! Do you work as a Medic down there? I take my Medic Nat. Registry test here in a few weeks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©