3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Techno Kids; Arghh  (Read 232 times)

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Techno Kids; Arghh
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Today I gave my Brother in Law a '73 Kodiak Magnum (had a few to spare) in an attempt to make a trad convert out of him.  I was telling him some hunting stories from this season when his twelve year old son spoke up from behind his IPOD game that he was playing and said, "You hunt deer with those things, why would you do that when you could just use a gun"?

I didn't know where to even begin.  A few replies were rolling around in my head but I discontinued each one on the grounds that he wouldn't understand what I was talking about.  Anyway, I was deflated, not only because my nephew is so entangled in an alien world, but because I was unable to express in a meaningful way why I love to carry my recurve into the woods.

The story ended on a good note because after about thirty minutes of my BIL and I shooting, nephew joined in with my daughter and actually enjoyed himself out in the fresh air exerting physical energy.

Tom

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Techno Kids; Arghh
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
way to go take a kid hunting and he may just like it   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Let him shoot some more and he may just come around and begin to understand.....maybe!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff, maybe take the kid hunting and let him see what it is all about.  I still remember those first times spent with my daughter as the woods came to life and turkeys started to gobble and a deer went sneaking past the stand.  Those things are tough to explain unless you are there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©