3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hawaii to Stalker Recurves "semi-live bow build" Finally Home! Pg9  (Read 1645 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hawaii to Stalker Recurves "semi-live bow build" Finally Home! Pg9
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
gorgeous work! thanks for taking us along!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
After the 1st coat of thunderbird epoxy

Sanding to prep for the second coat

In the spray booth again

The bow goes through a process of five coats.  Four gloss and one final coat of matte

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Keith,

When you have some down time with your bow, send the handle back to me and I'll take care of that edge at N/C. I always like to hear feedback from guys that shoot my bows, I've made several changes over the years based on customer feedback. You'll get to see a couple more when the new catalog comes out in February.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Sounds like good customer service to me.....    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Ryan
Im envious..your living the dream of many   :bigsmyl:   good looking bow..looks like Im gonna have to get on the list for one of those fantastic bows..I shot my buddy Bill C. longbow that he won for the naming it and I love that bow and wanted one everysince... so now Im gonna get one..if it was a lefty I wouldve bought Bill's but Im gonna get a one that handles a static recurve and a longbow limbs..thank you for taking us on this journey with you...very much appreciated   :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
You're welcome Jim!

Art,  Thank you for the kind words and you're more than welcome.  I've always wanted to do something like this and thanks to South, I was given the opportunity. That hybrid handle is pretty cool, it's the one that I've been using all year.

Gang, let me know if you've got any other questions about the bow build along or the prototype static limbs for the original riser.  I'll be more than happy to answer them.

Aloha!
Ryan

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2012, 03:05:00 PM »
Excellent thread. I am always amazed at how much there is to learn about our bows and trad archery in general.

Great work!    :thumbsup:

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Hey South, I'm still waiting on a 1-piece curve, those Static limbs would be very nice on that 1-piece Longbow Riser. Just Saying,  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
It was great to follow along on this. Seeing the process is a real learning experience. Thanks for sharing.    :thumbsup:

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Awesome! Thanks to Ryan and South for taking the time to show this whole process. Hopefully next year at the Colorado Traditional Archers Society Shoot there will be a few of these new designs there to check out. Maybe a three piece around 62" long and 58#@28"....I'm just saying, that would be cool....   :goldtooth:
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Great thread...and I know form personal experience that South has some of the best customer service you are going to get. He really wants you to be happy with the bow you get from him.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
You're welcome gang!
Troy, it was an eye opening experience for me!

Hey Charlie,
He also has a test drive program and even mentioned that he may send out a prototype for TG members to try and give feedback.

Thanks Bill!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Hey GANG,
I left Stalker Recurves last night.  South had finished prepping for another coat. A few more days of sanding and reapplying thunderbird and the bow should be finished.  If everything goes as planned, I'll have pics by next week of the completed bow.

Flying home wasn't as exciting as flying over but I did "cut it close".  First off, the whole time there, the only days that fogged in was when I flew in and the day that I needed to depart.  With the way things were going with that airlines, I decided to call to check on my reservations.  The agent told me that there was no record of my flight home!  After digging deeper, we found out that because I didn't make my connecting flight, they just cancelled the rest of my trip!  Fortunately they were able to rebook my trip home.  My first flight ended up being delayed and had five minutes to get to my connecting flight.  Luckily I made it on time but my luggage didn't.  I'm just hoping that they don't loose my Stalker caps!!!!  But all in all, I was just glad that I didn't have to stay overnight in the airport!

Thank you to everyone who has shared in my experience at Stalker Recurves!  I'll be posting pics as soon as it arrives!

Aloha!
Ryan

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Thank you again for taking us on this trip with you..really a big eye opener and it shows what a fantastic bowyer can do
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
You're very welcome Art!

Not only is he a fantastic bowyer, but he's an all-around great guy!    :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Great job....can't wait to see that static laying across a goat or a pig....I know it will happen!! A big thanks to South for showing the whole process!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
I'll second everything Ryan has said about South. He is the real deal and is genuinely concerned about his customers and products. Give his bows a shot, they are a great bow and are getting better you won't be disappointed    :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by steadman:
I'll second everything Ryan has said about South. He is the real deal and is genuinely concerned about his customers and products. Give his bows a shot, they are a great bow and are getting better you won't be disappointed     :thumbsup:  
I will vouch for the same thing.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for the offer.  I will gladly do that.  It's a real shooter and my buddies are really excited about how it will turn out.  Thanks!!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan !!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©