3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead ?  (Read 231 times)

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead ?
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I am thinking about getting some new broadheads. I have the eclipse 145g. I like them but find them hard to sharpen because of the curve of the head. I had zwicky deltas in the past and could get the razor sharp. I want 160g heads and don't want to spend a ton of $. I am down to STOS 160g or the Magnus 160g. I shoot a mohawk longbow. 47#@28 and my draw is 27. I like the magnus because they are bigger. Would I have any penitration problems with those heads and my setup. My arrows are GT 3555. What do ya think?
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Both those heads have a great grind out of the pack, so your sharpening concerns should be resolved with either.

I assume your talking about deer with your set up?  If so I'd not be concerned about penetration with either head, you should be fine.

I believe you'd find the STOS the more forgiving head to shoot, but as you mentioned it's smaller in width.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Thank you, Do you carry both heads at Braveheart. I saw the STOS on you site but not the 160g magnus.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
I would not hesitate to shoot either one.
James Kerr

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I am not trying to change your mind as we all have our preferences but the eclipse is an awesome head bro.  If you are having a tough time just buy one of the RADA sharpeners to sharpen them instead of shanging broadheads.  They are extremely cheap at about $6 and about 4 passes per side will get any two blade head really sharp.

It is your choice but I have used all the heads you mentioned minus the STO's and the eclipse's are my favorite.  Lifetime warranty, super smooth finish, and they hold an edge like no other.  And Braveheart has them real cheap too.  Just some food for thought.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Three Finger:
Thank you, Do you carry both heads at Braveheart. I saw the STOS on you site but not the 160g magnus.
We no longer carry the big Magnus heads, but thanks for asking.  :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Thank you AWPForester.
As soon as I read you post I went digging around and found a sharpener that I have that is similar to the RADA sharpeners. So 4 broadheads later my left arm has no hair on it. The Eclipse heads are good to go.

Thanks Bud.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by AWPForester:
I am not trying to change your mind as we all have our preferences but the eclipse is an awesome head bro.  If you are having a tough time just buy one of the RADA sharpeners to sharpen them instead of shanging broadheads.  They are extremely cheap at about $6 and about 4 passes per side will get any two blade head really sharp.

It is your choice but I have used all the heads you mentioned minus the STO's and the eclipse's are my favorite.  Lifetime warranty, super smooth finish, and they hold an edge like no other.  And Braveheart has them real cheap too.  Just some food for thought.  God Bless
Well, I can't sharpen a pencil! I have every major brand of shrpners and still no sharp broadheads, so I ordered a Rada after seeing this thread. Got it in today and NADA with the Rada either! I guess I'm going to have to find someone close and pay to have my broadheads sharpened.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by L. Harris:
Well, I can't sharpen a pencil! I have every major brand of shrpners and still no sharp broadheads, so I ordered a Rada after seeing this thread. Got it in today and NADA with the Rada either! I guess I'm going to have to find someone close and pay to have my broadheads sharpened.

L. Harris,

What have found is the lighter the strokes...the better...and a leather strop afterwards. May not help you any, but it works for me.

Mike

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
If you want a straight edged broadhead,The STOS are excellent as is service from Braveheart.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Just get a mill bastard file and use lighter strokes with each pass. I can get Deltas hair popping sharp with just a few strokes.

The key is to have a NEW, SHARP file. A dull file will dull your blades. Look down the file and if you see any shiny spots, DO NOT use it to sharpen broadheads. It will lead to nothing but frustration. I just use a small file (6" I think) and only use it on broadheads. I have a leather sheath made that hangs on my back quiver. Treat your file as you would a fine hunting knife and it will stay sharp for a good long while. Once it starts to show shiny spots, I stick a new one in the handle. They are relatively cheap tools that work incredibly well.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »
The Ace 165 Express would be a good choice, too; Delta width, straight edges, great steel.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
Just get a mill bastard file and use lighter strokes with each pass. I can get Deltas hair popping sharp with just a few strokes.

The key is to have a NEW, SHARP file. A dull file will dull your blades. Look down the file and if you see any shiny spots, DO NOT use it to sharpen broadheads. It will lead to nothing but frustration. I just use a small file (6" I think) and only use it on broadheads. I have a leather sheath made that hangs on my back quiver. Treat your file as you would a fine hunting knife and it will stay sharp for a good long while. Once it starts to show shiny spots, I stick a new one in the handle. They are relatively cheap tools that work incredibly well.
x2, I use a 6" mill bastard file on my Bear Razorheads.  I would just go buy a good quality new file and keep it as a dedicated broadhead tool so you don't have to worry too much about dulling it as mentioned above. Being a gunsmith I have dozens of files and my favorite are the Nicholsons. Sometimes I'll use one of the smith carbide sharpeners and they actually work pretty good and are pretty much foolproof.  I just bought my first set of angled stones, I don't remember the brand but one set is wet stones and the other diamond stones but I haven't tried them yet.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©