3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help! Longbow Questions  (Read 333 times)

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
Help! Longbow Questions
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Hey fellow archers. I am looking to get a new longbow made for an early Christmas present, and I need some suggestions on makers. I have shot an abbott and the liberty contender, and they were both very nice! I'm looking for what everyone else wants... speed and low hand shock. Does anyone have any other suggestions to look into, or any personal experience with any of them?

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help! Longbow Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
pronghorns are sweet!
Levi Bedortha

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Try a Shrew or a McCullough "Griffin" both are top notch bows. Its such a tough question to answer because the feel of a bow in hand is such a personal decision. Good luck in your search. Hope that you find one that is perfect for you!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Nobody can tell you what the best longbow is for you.  Try as many as you can before deciding.  If you can't, then I'd try getting something used from the classifieds to try out.  That way you don't have as much $$ invested and can probably resell it for what you paid for it if it doesn't work out.  If you like it, hang on to it until you order a brand new one just like it and then resell it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Two words you used are going to limit your selection due to build time, "new" & "early". There are  number of fine bowyers here that can accomodate you in your time frame but you might not want to rule out the classifieds as great bows can be found there. Remember once shot any bow is used! Best wishes and make your selection in time to phone prospects to check build times. Like Dave Ramsey says Christmas is in December this year!!

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
jsweka has the best advice. No one else can tell you what you'll like. That decision has to come from you trying different bows.
I really like my Abbott longbows. Does that mean an Abbott would be the best for you? Beats the snot out of me, you'll have to try it yourself.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
here is my list in no particular order
Black widow.
mohawk
shrew
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Whether you're just starting out or looking for something with the smoothness of a longbow and the speed of a recurve I'd suggest Omega longbows. Stick and String called it "The working man's longbow" and you can have it built to your specs for a few bucks over two bills. The bowyer is Kegan McCabe, he's a talented young bowyer, and he's happy to spend the time talking with you to build the bow you need. Mine is smooth, way faster than a comparable poundage recurve, and it came exactly as I ordered it. I had it ordered and to my door in less than three weeks and I have bows that you'll wait a year for and cost 4 times as much that don't perform any better. You'll buy it as a starter but you'll keep it as a fine bow.
The kicker? If you don't like it he'll take it back in 30 days. Get another bowyer to do that.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
TwoTracks Longwalker. Great fit and finish, quiet, stable performance. Super value.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Big Jim makes a great longbow. His bows are smooth, fast, stable, and dead quiet.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
I'll second longrifle's comments.  Mine draws so smooth and is fast.....I mean FAST!  You won't get the finish quality of a $500.00 bow, but it is a dandy shooting instrument.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Thunderstick MOAB...has all that and more.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Folks, don't forget, he wants it as "an early Christmas present."  Christmas is less than 3 months away. Some suggested aren't gonna make it by then.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I like Hill bows but would also definitely suggest you look at Northern Mist.
Sam

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Lovin my Thunderhorn Coup stick,
Would highly reccomend striker bows,
Kegan (omega longbows) is an awesome guy and he makes great bows, just depends what you're looking for.
If at all possible shoot first
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks everyone! I dont necessarily NEED it before Christmas. I just meant I was going to order it before then. Like I said, I have shot an Abbot and a Liberty and they are both great bows. The Liberty was a little more pricy, and I was wondering if it was worth the extra $$. Also looking for other suggestions or input on either of the two which you guys are doing a great job of! Keep em coming, I love the read!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I ordered a new 2pc Mohawk, the Sparrowhawk model, 4 weeks ago and Vince just told me it'll be done today or tomorrow. Can't beat that for one of the best bows being made today. You could be shooting it before Christmas.

I also love my BamaBows and you can't go wrong with a Pronghorn.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Can you say MOAB ?   :archer2:

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
Nobody can tell you what the best longbow is for you.  Try as many as you can before deciding.  If you can't, then I'd try getting something used from the classifieds to try out.  That way you don't have as much $$ invested and can probably resell it for what you paid for it if it doesn't work out.  If you like it, hang on to it until you order a brand new one just like it and then resell it.
Best advice, heed it well or you'll end up like me having bought and sold a few.  That said, I prefer the Toelke Whip.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
If your talking slight reflex/deflex Longbows. I Own 3 Mohawks 2 - 1 piece and 1- 2 piece. Great Bows built by a great bowyer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©