3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand names  (Read 665 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand names
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Ax-tree (old ax head stuck in the tree)
The "Box" (on the ground and well, a box)
The "Fort" (like the box but in the air)
Manure Shed (behind an old chicken manure shed)
20 footer (20')
Chimney stand (behind an old cannery chimney)
Buckingham (old travel trailer that was used by my grandparents and the landowners family as a deep woods hang out back in the day)
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Most of our stands are named after person who generally has some loose claim of ownership to the equiptment and that person usually hunts that spot first, but it is a roulette after that.

John's Tree stand - John built it, but may not have ever hunted in it, but Mike did and killed a doe out of it.

Jake's Tree Stand - Now defunct, but still represents the tree, which is about 60 yards south of Hyma's old stand in the South East corner. Which, has been moved because the tree died. But now the whole SE corner is the Tri-Pod stand.

Mike's Tree stand, which is now Tony's Tree Stand because Mike moved up north.

The food polt - for obvious reasons... which is where Hyma's stand is now located.

The-clearing-across-the-creek-from-Uncle-Don's-old-Vega - Self explanitory.

However, since I ground hunt and usually only sit in impromptu set ups, my spots are named things like:
The-clump-of-bushes-just-south-of-"the"-beech-tree-no-the-big-one-yeah-by-the-hemlock-but-closer-to-the-creek...
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
One my son-in-law hunted last year we call "shakey".

My favorite "Luke's stand tree".

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
Bald Face, boo-boo knob, no name, spineless, the swale, big and little Corner and the Tea pot!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Brushpile - i built up a brushpile to direct deer to a closer trail that goes by the stand.

Old Pine Stand - there is an old stand that all that is left is the outer fram in this pine tree.

Moss Rub - big rub on this moss covered white oak tree.

Dogs stand - there isa dog in a nearby house that always barks when deer are moving by his fenced in yard.

PIA - I gave my friend joe this spot and I usually have to set the stand up for him etc. hence he isa pain in the $%^&

Big Rock

Double Trouble - had two nice bucks fighting 30 yards from me but brush bloked the way and the big one chased off the other buck away from my stand.

Twin Oaks

Climber first - found a good trail and decided to put up a stand in this oak about twenty yards away and there must have been 50 suitable trees along this trail but after i got mine set up I saw a limb that had been cut years earlier so I assume someone with a climber sat the tree first.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
Squirrel corner, the swamp.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I love this... I have the

Top stand
Bottom stand
field blind
the mecca
too tall stand
The rat hole
the gully
Tunnel stand
Baby's stand
The ridge
The back stand

I can't really take credit for most of the names my dad seems to have gift for naming these spots I really don't know what I would do without him around to name them.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline NEB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Poison Ivy
Cemetery
Tad Pole Hole
The Park
Agent Orange
Hidden Oaks
The Barrel
The Bath Tub
The Haint House

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Pretty cool thread, I'm hunting new land this year too, so I only have 3 this year so far.

the maple
double oak
the cedars(sitting on the ground here haven't set it yet but am very excited about it)
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline CedarAddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
The Holiday Inn
The Cherry Tree
The Stratosphere
The Pit Stand
The String tree

Here are a few of the more uniquely named ones.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
The Orphanage:

We had a game and fish biologist come in and survey the habitat and buck to doe ratio, he gave us 25 doe tags for the season. We killed 10-12 of the does from that stand. It got the name from all the orphaned fawns running around up there .
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
We just say who evers stand like. Dads in the bottoms or mine on the ridge. But my Uncle has one he gun hunts out of that is 35 ft high we call the nose bleed stand.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
John Krause asked for more descriptions of how stands acquired their names and mentioned a few of mine.

Bald Face sits at the top of a hillside that at one time didn't have much cover.  It has since grown up to be very thick, but will always be known as Bald Face.

The Wagon Wheel stand is actually a new one this year, but seems to have trails approaching from every direction.  Time will tell if it lives up to it's name.  The challenge will be figuring out which wind direction works best.

Bachelor Pad is just as it sounds- the year it was first put up almost all the deer seen from it were bucks.  Hasn't stayed lime that over the years, but the name stuck.  

It's obvious from this thread that I am not alone in recalling fond memories from the mention of some favorite stand names.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Skyline- is an area on the edge of a steep drop off that overlooks a number of other ridges.

The Living Room- it's a bowl with 5 foot rock sides. You have about 12' x 12' to move round in it's also above the ground.

The Meadow- a large grassy area in the middle of hard woods.

2 Walls - a knob that with 2 walls on either side. Each wall has a break innthe middle deer travel through... Or at least we hope.

The Honey Hole- spot we have seen deer at every time scouting.

Turkey Hill- spot we alway find dropped turkey feather at

The Nursery- we alway saw fawns in this area while stumping over the summer

Mikes Spot - unless he doesn't come. Then it's Pete's Spot!

Ambush- a finger of rocks that covers you on 3 sides with 2 intersecting deer trails leading to it. The deer will not see younuntil they are totally committed.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
For whitetails we have

The Buck bedroom (tight to a known buck bedding area that is always good for bucks during the rut)

Poplar point (self explanatory, partner saw a 150 class at the end of last season... high hopes for that stand area this season)

Island (not too original)

beaver slide  (river edge with some beaver fall and a cool slide down to the river)

Near side  (only stand on the entrance side of the property)

North ditch  (Ditch crossing on the north side Brett shot a 140 class 2 seasons ago)

Salt lick  (funnel next to a big dug up hole that must have been an old salt spot)

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Eagles Nest
Easy Chair
the corner
Oak patch
down south
west pasture
New One
Nose bleed

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
Good stuff. All elk spots for me

Rock concert
Battlegrounds
Thouroughfare
Trespass canyon
Death valley
Intersection
Pasture

Etc.  :)
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Stand one
Stand two
Stand three
Stand four
The tractor seat
The spot by the field
That place Zane hunts
That corner off that road
Across the road from the corner
That spot we always hunt.
Up on the hill
Up in the saddle
The powerline
That ridge.

If you haven't picked it up yet, we ain't all to original when it comes to our spots on public and private land

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
I am not very creative with my names:

The First Triple (On L's farm)

The Second Triple (On L's farm)

The corner (On G's farm)

Lenny's Original Stand (On L's farm)

The Original Ladder Stand

The corner (On L's farm)

The original funnel (On L's farm)

The one Brent shot the Elk out of

The original funnel (On G's farm), which is my favorite over the past twenty years.  It is sometimes called the double-triple, The one Hunter shot the Elk out of, or the over 50 stand.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mojo2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
pie pan stand.

we had a stand on our land and the guy next to us did't like the deer come to our land , so he put up pie pans all over the edge of his woods. the deer just come right to us. lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©