3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Mt. Goat hunt  (Read 690 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
My Mt. Goat hunt
« on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
This year I was lucky enough to draw a nanny Mt. goat tag for my home state of Utah. It has been a busy year for me so between work and trying to do some deer and elk hunting the hunt was upon me before I knew it. I was able to scout a couple of weekends and the day before opener. The time on the mountain was a nice break form the 15 hour days I been working this year. Sorry I never brought along my good camera.  

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Mt. Goat hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
The scouting was nice with all the fall colors to enjoy and the great scenery.  cenery.

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:    :coffee:    This camera seems just fine....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
This year they issued alot of tags so finding the goats was not to hard but finding a place that other hunters would not be. This year they issued more tag than any year before.  I had a tip from a friend that was a biologist on the unit where he had seen 40 nannies and kids in area not many would be.  A fellow traganger had also recommended the area but after a day of scouting I could not find any goats. I decided to hunt open morning some of the more open country where I had been s  een lots of goats in prayer scouting.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline bwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
:coffee:

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »
Good Stuff!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I started hiking in early to get to get a few miles back in away from the masses. Right off I had seen one nanny with a couple of billys way up on a ridge. The long ascent began to the top with a good two between us. After making in to a pass right under where the nanny was feeding I had two billys walk out over a pass maybe 40 yards away and had my partner and I pinned flat to the ground. Looking back behind my partner I notice another 12 billys 60 yards behind him. We had to let them all feed around the ridge before we could continue the stalk. I crawled up a ridge along a rim hoping to use small contours in the terrain to find the nanny. As I reach the rim I could see the tips of billys antlers just over the rim. I crawled on my belly as far up as I could before dared look up. When I rose up I was looking at the nanny 30 yards away on her bed. She was facing straight on and with high winds there was no shot to be had. They rose up and moved up the ridge. I didn’t think that they were to spooked so I gave it a half hour and went along the top of the peak looking for them. After a few I found the same bunch bedded just over a small knoll. It was real open terrain but I gave it another chance. I inched my way a foot at a time for a good 100 yards until I was peeking over the small knoll. Once again I could see a billy 20 yards in front of me but I could not see any other goats. I could tell I had not been seen yet so I inched it up another few feet. Then I could see the nanny to the left of the billy. I rose and drew my bow as she rose from her bed. As I hit my anchor on of the billys stepped in front of her blocking my shot. She made a half circle and gave me a good angle but she was now out of my range. I watched them go over the rim right off into some nasty cliffs. I decided to head to a new drainage and let these ones rest a day before I would try to return.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
After a long walk back to camp we regrouped and headed to a good glassing point. Right off I had seen a good herd of 20 nannies a ¼ mile away. After a closer look I notice someone else stalking the herd. Then I noticed six nannies in the bottom of the canyon feeding in some finger washes. It looked like a plausible stalk with all the finger washes to peak around. Before I could think much about it I was on my way. My partner stayed on the ridge to give me hand signals if needed and I ran down the canyon to try to catch them still in the washes. I was down in the bottom before I knew it looking to see where they had gone. I crept up to where I had last seen them but I could not see them anywhere. I looked back at my partner but could not make him out very well. I started looking over the rim of the frist wash when I could see one 50 yards down wash feeding behind a small knoll.  I back away and made my way down to the knoll. When I peeked over the knoll I could see 3 nannies feeding. I picked out the closest one and started to draw but she turned away from me and I had to let down. When I let down the bow I noticed one lift its head up just under my feet below a small cliff I was standing on. To my surprise I had not seen this one bedded only a few yards away. I saw its head dip forward so I knew it was coming off its bed. I drew as she rose from her bed. I picked a spot and the arrow was on its way hitting right where I was looking. I knew it was a good shot when I saw the arrow fly out the opposite side bright and red.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Some great action so far...keep it comin  :)
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
She took off but didn’t go far and fell within sight about 60 yards away  way.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
This was a dream hunt for me and I will always remember it.  It ended quickly on the first day but I will have a lifetime to look back on it. here is one more hero pic.  

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Congrats on a great trophy!
As you say a hunt to last a lifetime...on the first day no less!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Wow! That is a beauty! Congrats!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline xma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
She's puuurrrrty! thanks for taking us along Twitch...ah, one day....

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
very nice goat!!!  congrats!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:00 AM »
Congratulations, a dream hunt for sure!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
Thats realy cool . She's real pretty.  :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  My knees hurt just looking at those pictures.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©