3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Outback Boar & Bull  (Read 326 times)

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
Outback Boar & Bull
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
So for my birthday back in August my girlfriend surprised me by giving me a trip to Australia to hunt scrub bulls and boars in Cape York, North Queensland with Bowhunters Lodge. To say I was shocked would be an understatement!

The catch was that I had about 8 weeks to prepare!

I have hunted with a compound and in the last year or so have gone back to the recurve but I have not shot anything with one for around 20 years and back then it was just rabbits. But if I was going to do this I wanted it to be with a recurve.

What followed was a whirlwind of getting some heavier arrows set up, ordering broadheads, buying hot weather gear, and practice, practice, practice!

I am shooting a 62lb PSE Heritage Raven, and worked out that I could shoot Easton Powerflights  at 30.5" with a 100 grain insert and 200 grain heads to give me a total arrow weight of a little over 600 grains.
I opted top go with VPA Penetrators which I ordered through Big Jims. Big Jims were great to deal with, as they always have been, but unfortunately the postal service and New Zealand Customs held things up a bit so that I only received my heads 10 days before I left... I was really getting worried! Luckily the heads flew great out of my set up.
When I was on, I was getting great groups out to 20 meters from bare shafts field points and broadheads.

Once I got to Cairns I met up with the other 3 hunters in our group all compound shooters, all Australians. Grant who I would team up with for hunting, and a father and son Team of Amos and his 16 year old son Ruben. Great people to go hunting with.

The following morning we were picked up by Pat from the Bowhunters Lodge and loaded into his 4WD for the 8 hour drive over a mix of sealed and gravel roads to the hunting property.

Along the way we got a flat tyre, these roads are sure hard on vehicles!

And man was it hot in that sun! The flat was soon fixed and we were back on the road.

We were told that we were to be the first group of bowhunters onto this property as the last property had been hit hard by people dogging the pigs and numbers were down.

On arrival we met Bob and his son Ethan who were to be our main guides for the trip. Bob was a wealth of information and a very knowledgeable guide. Ethan although only 20 has crammed a lifetime of hunting into those years and was a superb, hard working guide! This guy has a true love of hunting and his enthusiasm and ability to share his knowledge were great to see.

The first evening this little fella made an appearance and was quickly returned to the water after a quick photo shoot.

His big brothers are the reason you don't go too close to the water while fishing or hunting.

This one is a baby fresh water croc but it is always possible a big salt water croc might be around you don't want to make a close acquaintance with them!

The first day of hunting was disappointing as we hunted swamps but found that a couple of rifle shooters who were supposed to be keeping to the front of the property had been there before us.
No pigs were seen on the swamps but as we headed home we spotted a big mob feeding across burnt country beside the road.
Grant, Ethan, and I headed off to intercept them and things were looking good until the wind swirled when they were about 35 meters out and the ambush we had set up was blown  :(  None the less our spirits were raised by the sight of 30 odd adult pigs and a bunch of suckers on the property.

Day two we walked creeks one hunter on either side with the guide accompanying one hunter and all staying in touch via radios with ear pieces. A few pigs were seen but no shots taken as the treacherous wind sent them hurrying off before we were able to set up.

During our breaks for lunch I always tried to do a little shooting with a field tipped arrow I took along. I set out orange peels and shot from different distances, positions and angles. I was heartened to hear Ethan tell his father "At least the guy can shoot, not like most Kiwis we get over here" "Any pig within 20 is in trouble" Words that were to haunt me later!

Day three we did much the same on different creeks and Grant was able to down a boar and sow out of a sleeping mob with his compound and later that day down a dingo that appeared in front of him.

I got a chance on a big sleeping boar. Due to Ethans radio playing up he was unable to advise me on my stalk and I took a different route than he wanted me to, but 20 minutes saw me creeping to within 6 meters of a really big boar quartering on in deep shade under a tree. Unfortunately I misjudged his position in the shade and made a poor shot which saw him bolting out of there with a superficial wound. After tracking him for about 900 meters the blood dried up and Ethan called it quits  :(
about 20 minutes later we got onto a mob of around 20 pigs of various sizes foraging in the creek. Ethan sent me in to stalk them I got within my range but every time I started to draw one of them would see me and I would freeze until they looked away. Eventually the wind swirled and they were gone.

Day four we set out to find some swamps but ended up unable to locate them and resorted to checking out some creeks with no luck.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Outback Boar & Bull
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:14:00 AM »
Day five we headed out with Pat to check out some swamps right at the back of the property but once again the pigs were not playing our game  :(  Heading back to the truck along a small trail I looked up to see two bulls walking right at us alerting the other two we crouched in the long grass and watched them walking in towards us. At about 30 meters they veered off our track and took one parallel about 20 meters out. As we had no time to discuss the shot I was not sure if Grant or I were going to take it. As it turned out Grant let me take the shot when the bull stopped broadside at 20... I didn't pick a spot!
 :knothead:  
The shot was high and back, but as it turned out I took out the back of one lung and the liver. It took us a while to stalk in again as the young bull accompanying the one I shot would spook and they would run off about 50 meters before pulling up. In hindsight we should have sat tight for half an hour and let the arrow do its work before heading in to finish him off.  Eventually we worked in and he was dispatched with a final arrow.

The first shot had hit the back ribs and just managed to cut through the skin on the far side. the VPA Penetrator was still almost as sharp as when it left the bow!

I was happy to have a bull down, but very disappointed in my shooting so far.

Grant told me next animal just imagine an orange peel on the kill spot! Good advice as it turns out.

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:26:00 AM »
Day six was the final day and we decided to walk the creek where we had good sightings on day three. By mid day Ethan and I had seen one mob that had caught Grants scent and were hightailing it out of there and a big boar that was also making himself scarce at high speed as the wind swirled behind us.

By lunch we had made it to the truck which had been dropped off for us. During lunch Ethan was telling us about big old Cape York boars he has seen that went down with one arrow only to get up again when approached and escape never to be seen again. He told us if in the slightest doubt keep putting arrows in them. They have a saying that goes like this "Dead is good but deader is better" I liked that one.

We decided to keep on up the creek and Ethan was going to take the truck ahead and meet us at a prearranged spot. Grant and I split up either side of the creek and slowly worked our way up using all the skills Ethan and Bob had taught us. Using our binoculars to check all the good shady spots the old boars like on a hot afternoon.
While glassing such a spot as I put my binoculars down I spotted a suspiciously pig like log basking in the sun on a small ridge in the middle of the dry ish creek. Stalking closer I was still not sure if it was a log or a pig, but I told Grant to stay put while I checked it out. At about 30 meters I finally confirmed it was a pig with almost no hair on his back sleeping with his back to me. I confirmed to Grant it was a pig and commenced my stalk.

I needed to stalk down into the creek over dry leaves, over some rocks and up onto the ridge to get a shot. I began to shake a little as I was repeating to myself pick a spot, imagine the orange peel, over and over. Eventually I worked in to around 10 meters with the pig lying on his side with his back to me quartering away. Due to trees and foliage the only shot was a little further back than I would have preferred but I thought with the angle it was a good shot.

Pick a spot, orange peel, pick a spot, orange peel and the arrow was off!
With a grunt he jumped up and looked around to see what had hit him. I got another arrow on the string and he turned quartering away for an instant but before I could loose an arrow he trotted off over the ridge breaking my arrow as he went under a small tree. A deep breath and my hands were shaking as I heard him go down out of sight. I followed up cautiously warning Grant he had headed his way via the radio. As I came over the ridge I saw him down and not very happy but still kicking and chomping. Dead is good but deader is better I thought as I drove another arrow in behind his shoulder. A good gout of blood and with a squeal he flipped over broke my arrow and relaxed to the ground with a sigh. Nocking another arrow I began to approach but as I passed in front of him he began to kick and chomp again, Dead is good but deader is better I thought as I sent another arrow into his chest. He continued to kick and chomp so dead is good but deader is better I imagined Ethan saying As I put a final arrow into his vitals. There was no reaction to this final arrow and Grant arrived just after I released and after making sure there was no further life in the old boar I breathed a huge sigh of relief and began to grin.

What I had thought was a smallish boar turned out to be a decent sized, tusky old Cape York boar of exactly the sort we had been looking for these last six days.

We quickly set him up for a few photos

We radioed Ethan and when he showed up his grin said it all. I think he was almost as happy as me that the recurve guy had scored the best pig of the trip.

I know neither of us look that happy but its hot, and we are tired so although we don't look it we are happy on the inside  :)

As we were close to the truck Ethan suggested taking the whole head rather than just the lower jaw as is normal in these parts.

Once back at camp Bob told me a euro mount would look great so we dropped the head into a pot to boil and thats when the rain started! Man when it rains in these parts it rains! The gas ring went out after we had boiled it for about an hour not really long enough for us to clean it up properly but the next morning before we left Bob made a start on it and drew the tusks for me to take back saying he would clean up the skull and send it to me... A job he really enjoys as you can tell by his face in this picture.

With that it was goodbye to our Cape York camp and my adventure was drawing to a close.

As I sit here and type I miss the camp, the cheerful camaraderie, and mostly Bobs amazing cooking!

I suspect this will not be my last trip to the Cape for tusky boars.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
Nice great stuff...

Offline Meilaq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »
All that practice worked out well in the end.  Unfortunately it appears you didn't get to try the good old 'kneeling facing away from the beast' stance, that one is your favourite i seem to recall.   ;)
60" Custom Classic Predator L/H 56@28

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
I was kneeling for the shot on the bull, not quite facing away but not lined up nicely either.  But I am sure it was not picking a spot that made it a bad shot! I had been smashing the rinehart block from 20 every morning before that! Just need more practice under stress!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:36:00 AM »
That is a tusky old beast!  The euro mount will be impressive.  
Great story and pictures - looks like some beautiful country!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
Well done!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Congrats!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Congrats on a very successful adventure!...great story telling and some fine photos..thanks for sharing!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Nice story,congrats for your animals.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
What an adventure.
Nice job!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Excellent adventure, thanks for sharing it with us. Congrats on your success too!    :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Dogboy900

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. It is certainly a country of extremes out in Cape York. A real adventure worth experiencing if you get the chance.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
great hunt and great job
<><
<---------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Good job! Way to go sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Great job thanks for sharing!!  Great pics!!  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing- love the pics

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Good stuff, congrats!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Good deal! very cool, thank you for posting the pictures!
Semper Fidelis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©