3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cant hunt  (Read 363 times)

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
cant hunt
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
After waiting all summer for archery season to get here, I ended up needing a hip replacement on Sept. 11. Now here I am off work and non weight bearing on my leg til Oct. 8.
  I did do some practicing the other day from a sitting positon and found that Im still accurately shooting at 20 yds. I begin out patient therapy on Monday and hope to be able to hunt soon.
  The problem I have is not having a good spot to hunt from the ground that I can get to safely. Hopefully I'll be able to climb in a stand by the time late October rolls around. It's kind of a double edge sword. All this time off work and just having to sit here waiting.
  Oh well, good luck to all you who are hunting. Be safe.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cant hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
That's a bummer,good luck and get well.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Good luck with the recovery and I hope you can do some hunting this season. I missed all last season due to a motorcycle accident so I can relate.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Heal up quick, we have a lot of season left!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
that stinks
"Us vs Them"

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Kevin  

Do what I do,my legs have not worked in going on 11 years so I use the next best thing an ATV with a good back ground of camo.

I don't get shots every year but I do have deer close.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
That's a bummer man, where there's a will there's a way. Hope you heal up quick and may all your arrows fly true. Take care!!!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Heh, can I cry on your shoulder? Been out of commission since January, too much to list. Final(so they say) surgery was just moved to this Friday. I will sit also through the entire hunting season. I have always shot every day since my teens. Its been 9 months and I managed a dozen or so shots tops during that time. This ROTS!!!!! I can't wait for Charlie Lamb's book!
David M. Conroy

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
You're right, i could have it worse. Good luck to you and hope you're better soon. Thanks everyone for the support and good luck to you all.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Don't rush your healing though. Make sure your body is ready for climbing so you don't reverse any progress.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
You're right. Sometimes it seems I should be able to do things and quickly find out I cant. Made that mistake the 2nd day home from the hospital.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
I hope I am not in the same boat. I am at the Dr. right now waiting on X-rays to see if I have a broke wrist...

God bless and I pray for you a speedy recovery!
Nathan.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat!!! Finally got it dialed in and ready to hunt, and my elbow starts throbbing. Diagnosed with a pinched ulnar nerve. Waiting to see if nerves are damaged and possible surgery.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Bowkevin
Please do what the Dr, says. If you have to miss the whole season, it's one season & the hip can bother you the rest of your life if you don't take care of it.
   I'm hoping you won't miss the whole season, but be careful.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Bowkevin, I know what your feeling. In mid august I was mis-dianosed ( 3 different doctors)with a hip/groin strain and was cleared to go on my Colorado elk bow hunt(9/13-9/25). On day 3 of the hunt (on crutches) I harvested a calf elk and my buddies hauled my gear and elk o/o the woods for me. The next day making dinner and while cleaning the grill I grabbed at the falling grill top and something popped. Long story short I spent the next 1 1/2days tentbound and the next couple days, trying to get home. I got home and had a MRI that showed a hip fracture. I had a stress fracture all along that broke completely.
I had hip surgery on Oct 1 (screws and plate)and returned home Oct 3, The surgeon and the PT recommend as much weight bearing as I can handle with the crutches, cane and back to normal in 6-8 weeks. Our bow season starts Oct 15. I feel your pain in many ways. Do as your doc recommends and pace yourself. Hang in there bro and good luck.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Don't push to fast.  There are lots of great easy to carry seats out there.  I have had some luck with close encounters on the ground this year.  Lots of folks here hunt from ground alone.  Maybe if you think about your area for a while a tree or spot of two you could sit on the ground will come to you.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
On days that I cannot get into my tree stands, (I wanted to shoot a deer out of tree stand because I have never shot a deer out of a tree stand), these past few years, I just sit near it. Must be my lucky charm. I would say, if you cannot climb it but you can get to it, just keep it company and see what comes by.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I understand what your going through. I waited all year for the season and hunted two days and started having some more heart problems. Good luck and go slow and easy.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
Obviously NOBODY should take being healthy and able to participate for granted!

Best wishes to all...hang in there and never give up!

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Thanks agaain for the support. I hope all you other guys with problems of your own heal quickly. I am going to a nearby field edge tonight. Not a far walk for crutches and also flat ground. I've been shooting from a folding stool and am very accurate out to 20 yds. Altough Ive only ever shot one deer at 20 most have been 15 or less. We have a front moving in tonight so I'll see what happens tonight and adjust my position if needed for tomorrow night.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©