3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In the Rain  (Read 352 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
In the Rain
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I plan on heading out this weekend and the weather looks like it might be a little wet. Any tips on bringing a trad bow in the rain.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In the Rain
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Not for the bow but blood trails can be bare to non-existent in the rain. Easy to lose and animal that way.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
I used to have a "rain" bow years ago. Elevated rest, aluminum arrows, vanes and cat whiskers. I never shot at anything with it but after helping a guy track one and losing the trail (rifle)in the rain, I will sit out consistant rainy weather.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Rain is a no go for me too.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Lost a nice 8 pt buck many years ago when it started pouring after I shot it. I don't hunt in heavy rain anymore.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
This post has perfect timing !

I was trying to decide if I was going out this afternoon, it looks  like it's going to rain any minute and I was wondering about blood training in the rain.

I guess I go out & fling some arrows instead !

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
If the weather isn't going to be dangerous and it'll just be some rain I would still go.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
You guys are so funny.... If you lived in Oregon and didn't hunt when it rained, you wouldn't get much hunting in....but most of us out here don't set in trees all day to hunt deer either. i don't think I'd care for that much in the rain either....

Cat whiskers on the string, and some kind of protection on your feathers is good in the rain.

But having another bow set up with an elevated rest and vanes is an excellent idea    :thumbsup:   .... kirk

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Well I guess I should explain further, got myself a nice promotion at work, so longer hours and greater expectations mean I don't get to take off when I want to, so if it's raining I'm heading out, will I shoot and put myself into a situation of a lost animal, no, but I will be out there, just don't want to damage the bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
Most of the action I get stalking is in poor weather... Not a down pour mined you but a light rain is great if you like to cat around... Feather water-proofing is a must!

I'm a fortunate fellow... Just look out the window and when a storm stops, it's out the door! First we not there, then: We Are! Big suprise for VC Deer!  :D

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Well I hunt in the rain and I don't think rain-short of a deluge-is a reason to not hunt or to blame for the loss of an animal.
When things go wrong it is a combination of events and one component is always going to be a marginal hit.
If your shot takes out both lungs you will find the critter rain or not. So if you are going to hunt in the rain do it from the ground where you have a much better angle, and only take shots that are well within your kill distance and be prepared to take extra time should you have a difficult recovery. Stalking in the rain is a lot easier-the ground is way more quiet and your scent gets diffused. I spray my feathers and use a tube quiver to keep fletching protected, and if I can handle the elements my bow can too.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
How often does the animal go down in sight? Rain washes away a blood trail - the primary way we find animals here in the thick east.  I was taught by my Dad gun hunting in the rain is ok, bow hunting in the rain is a no no.  Animals here are hard enough to find sometimes under the best conditions.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I second bjorn, I'm hunting in the rain!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Well said Bjorn.  Almost half my deer have been shot in a rain or snow storm.  However, I admire those with concerns about the possibility of losing a blood trail and chose not to chance it.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I'm like many of you...I don't have enough hunting time to really get to pick and choose my weather.  When I have the time, I hunt, period.  I shoot 5" 4 fletch and they shoot fine when wet.  They just look terrible once they get all matted down.  I put a another post up a day or two ago on here because I did like Randy and took one of my bows I don't use as often and made it a wet weather bow -- elevated T-300 rest, 4" 4-fletch vanes and limbsaver string leeches.  It shoots perfectly with that combo and won't be affected by the rain.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
And you guys who hunt in the rain...how do you find deer when the blood trail has been washed out?  Just do grid searches?  My concern is not shooting in the rain but recovery after the shot when no blood is left on the ground.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I like to hunt in the rain, I use a paste type wax on my bow which has helped repel the water. But it's never had any effect on my bow, as soon as I get home I wipe it down really good. Happy hunting!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by mountain lion:
I like to hunt in the rain, I use a paste type wax on my bow which has helped repel the water. But it's never had any effect on my bow, as soon as I get home I wipe it down really good. Happy hunting!
Me too!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
David Mitchell,  I have a much higher percentage of double lung hits when the conditions are right. (noise from rain, quite stalking, movement in the woods from rain or wind)  I can get close in the rain.... real close.  If a shot occurs, it's usually a chip shot 10 yd or so.  Easy recovery. I have lost deer, but never due to rain.  Only due to my poor shot.  A gut shot deer is a difficult one to recover regardless of the weather.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
You guys are so funny.... If you lived in Oregon and didn't hunt when it rained, you wouldn't get much hunting in....but most of us out here don't set in trees all day to hunt deer either. i don't think I'd care for that much in the rain either....

Cat whiskers on the string, and some kind of protection on your feathers is good in the rain.

But having another bow set up with an elevated rest and vanes is an excellent idea     :thumbsup:    .... kirk
Yep, this is my 30th year hunting in OR and I wouldn't have done much hunting if I waited for it to stop raining, especially the past 6 yrs living on the nw coast where we get 120 inches a year  :banghead:
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©