3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting SD--- Any tips?  (Read 147 times)

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting SD--- Any tips?
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I'll be making a maiden voyage to central SD, (Jones County)in a couple weeks to bow hunt for whitetails.  It will be mainly spot and stalk with some treestand hunting thrown in the mix.   Since I've never hunted open country like this I'm open to tips and suggestions from Tradgangers.  From what I understand, there's some impressive bucks in the area.

Thanks!
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting SD--- Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I have been west of there.  There is a lot of open country where I was and the deer move a lot.  Sitting on a high spot, you can see deer movement, but unless you can shoot 300-400 yards, all these deer are not really good for anything. .  except, maybe creating a plan for a future sit.

I would scout and find a draw that has good timber and hunt that.  

I found much more identifiable movement thru these. They use and follow trails here and can be hunted.  They seemed to tend to come out to hay and other fields in the evening.  A draw that they use to enter the field would be a good location.   Consider a ground blind, especially a ghillie suit to be able to hunt where there are no trees.  They often make use of the hay  bales in the fields, which could make a good blind site too.  Maybe take some camo cloth along and drape it across some bales.

A water source might be a good location to find as well this year.

I have heard that they had a bout with EHD this year and have been asking folks to turn in their tags for a refund if they want.
ChuckC

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Chuck,
Thanks for the suggestion about hunting the draws that lead out to hay fields.  Sounds like a good spot to hang a treestand to catch them exiting to the fields in the evening.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Practice shooting in windy conditions.  It is almost always windy throughout the Dakotas.

Talk to as many of the locals as you can.  I have always found them to be very friendly and helpful.  Getting land access and permission is critical and be sure to explain what it is you are hunting.  In some areas they encourage you to shoot deer and in other they don't want you to.

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks, eflanders.  I plan to do a lot of long range judo shooting to get my range estimation down as well.  I understand it's tough to judge distance in those wide open spaces.
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
We had the best luck setting up between bedding areas and food sources,once we found them.ChuckC is right about some areas getting hit hard with EHD,you may want to check the county your planning to hunt.Good luck and have a safe hunt.
Leland

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©