3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What camo do you prefer  (Read 748 times)

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
What camo do you prefer
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
ok Since trad bow hunting requires one to get up close and personal with the game -- which design/brand camo do you use and why -- also what area of the country are you hunting??

I have mainly used mossy oak breakup -- usually look for a design with as much dark browns and black as i can find.  Only hunted in north east GA and these deer can pick a needle out of a haystack.  I have even tried a leaf suit and they pick it out every time, but the underside of the leaves are not camo'ed so maybe it looks white or lighter colored to them--guess that's what you get for getting the cheapest one.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What camo do you prefer
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Kuiu, asat, and Sitka mothwing from the swamps of middle Georgia to the rolling pines of eastern Alabama to the tundra of Alaska..
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Dull, dull, flat and dull.  I think that the material is way more important than the design on the clothing.  I recently walked into stands with a hunter that was wearing the "latest" APB whatever.  He had a "sheen" in the flashlight light.  I mean glowing!  The material had to be mostly polyester or nylon.  The "camo" was irrelavant due to the shiny material.  I believe you are better off with flat, dull plaids and solids than shiny treeoak.  Get quality hunting clothes that are not "shiny", whatever the print is.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
I use USGI woodland camo in mild weather, also some old Vietnam tiger stripe USGI. In colder weather I wear brown jeans and plaid wool.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
The older I get the fatter I get so whatever still fits! I have had it all and and wore it all. I think as long as it breaks up your outline your good. I used to only hunt in wool plaid and flannel plaid shirts before I could afford camo and saw just as many as animals and they got just as close    :dunno:
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I honestly don't think the pattern matters one bit. I think color does matter some. Light colors when you are in a tree since if a deer looks up at you you wanna blend in with the sky. . Most camo is too dark from a distance. Flannel works just as well as anything. Good wool works well because it has no shine.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I think you have the right idea wearing mossy oak break-up. I wear that on occasion (it seems to have shrunk... or my gut has grown) If hunting from the ground, pay close attention to your background. I saw were a guy had all the leaves brushed away from a medium sized hemlock on the edge of an overgrown field.  He would have stood out no matter what he was wearing.  Again, mossy oak break-up infinity.... one of my favorites.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
The older I get the fatter I get so whatever still fits!

Amen brother.  I try real hard to always hunt the wind and blend in as much as possible with my surroundings whether it be on the ground or in a tree. Any camo pattern will work, as long as you keep the dark patterns out of the light, and the light patterns out of the dark. Also, as stated before, pretty and shiny is a no-no.
God Bless, Steve
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Depends on where I'm hunting and when.  I have a good selection of Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity that seems to be a good choice in the woods or from a treestand.  I have an old set of Badlands Rock-o-flage that is good in cornstalks or near fields.

Don't notice either works better than plain 'ol plaid.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Early season, when cover is available, I don't think it matters much.  However, when the leaves fall and the trees are bare, camo plays an important role.  I have some predator fall grey that I have had encounters with deer that leave no doubt in my mind that it works.  It's the big pattern that makes the difference.  I also like ASAT and sticks and limbs.  I mostly hunt in Alabama, but sometimes I travel to Mississippi and Illinois.

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Natgear for now.  When it wears out I will probbably try ultimate camo.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
I'm getting too old! I'm still in awe of Mossy Oak Tree stand!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline lawman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Sitka early season and asat the rest of the season.  Lawman

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
ASAT or Predator fall grey/brown for me.

If pushed, I'd also add Realtree Max1
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Weasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
I'm a believer in the KUIU Pattern as it really breaks up the human form.  My second caribou bull last month was killed right out in the open tundra.  I just crouched down and became another boulder on the hillside while a dozen or so caribou paraded right by me.  The bull was the next to last caribou in the line.

Last Fall a blacktail buck saw the movement when I drew, 20 yards away and on the ground, but couldn't make me out.  Had some of him for dinner just last week...

Jerry
I have a free roaming, ranging mind -- sometimes it reports back to me...
---------------------------

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
I,ve got 3 kinds I wear, Predator spring, Predator fall, or Predator snow camo.  Good stuff.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
I like cabelas outfitter camo for all around. I like Max 1for elk hunting too.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
I like 3-D camos with an overlay effect of branches and leaves that breaks up the human outline.I dont like really dark camo that highlights the human outline and makes a hunter look like a dark blob.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
I like 3-D camos with an overlay effect of branches and leaves that breaks up the human outline.I dont like really dark camo that highlights the human outline and makes a hunter look like a dark blob.Skyline used to make some great camo patters with these traits.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »
I like outfitter camo when the leaves fall. I use a leafy jacket in the early season
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©