3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What camo do you prefer  (Read 749 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What camo do you prefer
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Shedrock,
I am trying to get some Asbell Shadow Plaid now too. I think it is very close to Predator Fall Grey concept with a good blend of light / dark contrast. As Uncle Ron said before too.... wool diffuses and absorbs light where as the man made stuff reflects light, especially when it is new !   :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Since I bowhunt in Texas, we have different regions. In east Texas, the evergreen of the piney woods to the arid regions of west Texas.

This is why I prefer Predator camo. My favorite patterns are Spring Green, Fall Gray and the discontinued Fall Brown.

I have enough of all three patterns to last me the rest of my life. I consider myself "smart" when I stocked up on Fall Brown before Predator discontinued the pattern and color.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
I use Mossy Oak Obsession some. The turkeys don't shy away from it and they got some of the best eyes in the woods. I also have some Realtree APG that is more open and lighter than many of the other commercial camo. I think fleece helps soften the patterns some too. It don't ever get cold enuff in Alabama to wear wool with the exception of a few days each year. For that senerio I wear ECWS polar weight longjohns with 2 or 3 layers on top of it.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Predator, simply because it's worked so well for me that when I put it on, I feel partly invisible.  Camo is SERIOUSLY overrated, and movement is the key, but every once in awhile you may find yourself caught with your pants down out in the open, or find a tree with less than ideal backcover and that's when Predator shines.
I'll add that I consider ASAT and Kuiu's Vias to essentially be the same and just as effective.  5x5 bull last year had me out in the open at 30 yards and he essentially looked through me wearing Vias camo.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
ASAT, Predator, KUIU. In that order if you wanna get away with any movement! The rest will work just find as long as you move slow or don't move at all!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
I like plaids with a strong contrasting pattern when it's cool weather.
I generally wear cotton Predator or ASAT when I wear camo(for turkeys).

Like dragonheart said, the fabric really matters, cotton and wool absorb the light, a lot of synthetics reflect/shine in the field.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Everytime I go in the woods I see lots of "dark blobs". They're everywhere you look. When I am moving through the woods, I do like Ron LaClair is talking about, I stand in front of a tree regardless of what I have on. I use a big tall black blob to hide me.

Deer are basically 2 solids, brown and white and they will disappear right before your eyes. I had one the other evening bust me moving along through a tree line above a big grass field. I had looked and looked, and simply missed her until she busted me and took off. I simply never saw her standing in the tall grass.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Predator and ASAT

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
ASAT or plaid
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline nampook93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I like just using a red flanal jacket and some old army camo pants.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
This started as Columbia wool snow camo. With a little walnut juice , I'm happy with it.

The texture and pockets are real important to me.

I hate slick camo that shines in low light...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I like ASAT alot!!!

Another one for a big proponent of cloth... soft cloth that doesn't reflect light!!! Cotton and Wool if I could afford them all...

The best is actually my my ghille suit!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
ASAT does it all.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Army issued Ghillie suit; nothing else comes close; I can wear whatever is necessary underneath;

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Since I hunt in alot of thick ground cover and rainforest areas, my favorite is the old Tiger Stripe pattern.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
What ever is clean.Lately it been olive green carpenter pants and a cheap camo T shirts all diferant. Walmart stuff. Or just a faded green,brown,or black t shirt.Black is good for being right up aganst a tree trunk on the shaded side. But I do have a face mask on and a camo boony hat on desert storm colors . Sons stuff. It all works. Movement is what gets you busted.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 05:33:00 AM »
ASAT,KUIU and fall Preditor is what I wear now.
I also have a ghillie top and bottoms and wear both but some times just the top.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Hoofhearted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
never thought about the wool and plaids.  i do use a solid black goose down bibbs when it gets cold down here and never seem to have a problem with them, however i only put them on once i get up in the tree.  do like the looks of the predator camo!!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
ASAT, Predator (most patterns), Kuiu (Vias and Verdes), Cabela's Outfitter, Sitka (Open Country, Mothwing and Forest), Mossy Oak Treestand, Realtree Max 1, Cabela's Open Country, Skyline Horizon.

All of the above are fairly open patterns, which I think are the most effective. This selection will effectively cover just about any bowhunting situation, but the pattern should be chosen to blend into the dominant surroundings, just like "matching the hatch" in the flyfishing world. For instance, the Skyline Horizon is perfect for late-season treestand hunting in hardwoods and for hunting on the ground in snowy conditions, but it is far too light in color for most other conditions. The Max 1 and Cabela's Open Country are ideal for hunting the open grass flats and creek bottoms in the Northern Territory of Australia for buffalo and boar. And so it goes for the other patterns.

Wool solids and plaids are good too, but when the weather is warm, only the light Merino shirts are comfortable, and wool has its own disadvantages (along with many advantages). The biggest problem for the traveling hunter is wool's bulk and weight, which is why the clothing companies like Kuiu and Sitka do not use wool in their mountain clothing except for the thin base layers, where Merino wool excels above any other material. But this thread is about camo patterns, not materials, and there are wool products that incorporate some of the patterns I have listed (and other good patterns).

The main things are getting out to the places where the animals live, staying downwind, and keeping noise and movement at a minimum. Do remember that turkeys see color and have fantastic vision, so picking colors that blend into the surroundings is vital when turkey hunting, although it is not so important when hunting ungulates that do not have much color vision.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
It think plaid is the worlds first "Didgital Camo".....    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©