3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!  (Read 14188 times)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
SteveO , There is very little Mosquito issues in the spring of the high mountains, not often that it is hot and dry , never were any black flies so if you come please leave those at home . No need to introduce a non native species.
I once taught a class of 6 women and two men from Japan ( no english). They all built bows with no trouble , no prior woodworking skill either. Your chances as you put it are very good but more important is that you will walk away with the knowledge to build more.
We will have lots of wood for you to play with and not worry about mistakes.
One of the reasons we are only doing 4 people is that those 4 will get a total immersion class into the world of wood bow building. The bear hunting is just to relax between bows.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
Nathan , give me a call back , you didnt leave a clear message ( phone number) so I cant return your call.

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
I can vouch for the area that this will take place in as well as the abundance of game, it is one of the most beautiful areas I know of. The picture on my website is from this same area and I plan on being there this fall Elk hunting as well.

I will do my best at being there for this class/hunt... I'll add Ted's bowbuilding methods to some of the other classes I have taken in the past (Paul Brunner up at Lost Nation when Ray stilled owned it and Gene Wintere), I've learned different techniques and styles from each bowyer so far and it's proven to be very helpful in my bowmaking.

Just think of it, coming home with a new bow (that doesn't happen on other hunts!), pack full of mushrooms, and some bear  meat to boot. Sounds like the making of a fine diner when I return.

PS I snore like a big ole griz...anyone wana share a cabin?

A

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 02:29:00 PM »
Angelo , we have a special place for you to sleep!
One of the nice things about this trip Angelo is we dont have to do the cooking , we pile the mushrooms on the counter and our fantastic cook (Pam), does the rest. Dont plan on loosing any weight out there.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Steve. Steve Lundberg of Bozeman MT will be joining the crew in May . Three spots left.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
Whip , tried to send you a PM on your questions but your mailbox is full . Best to call 541-386-4503 with questions as I am better at talking than typing.
Just to answer a few of the questions I have received .
We do cover lots of snow to get to the Weitas valley , however we will be below snow line once in the valley, we follow the snow line up the mountains as we hunt from May till mid June in this area.
I have worked as a guide for Weitas Creek so yes I do have lots of experience in this area. Lots of bears and some of the most beautiful country in the world . Best part is its our valley till the snow melts as no one else bothers coming in till mid June, kinda like our own country. Really feels strange after being in there for 6 weeks to come out and return to normal life , cars, people, phones.
The week we will be hunting May 27-June 3rd is one of my favorite weeks to be in the area.Gary Haight  ( outfitter) is a traditional bow junkie.
Make sure you bring a few $1.00 bills as we narmaly are forced to defend our honor in a shooting contest out and about in the woods around the cabin , Gary is a great shot so dont let him fool you. Feel free to call the store for more questions , I love talking about the Weitas area. 541-386-4503 I am teaching a bow building class today at the store but would be happy to answer questions.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks Ted - I have a problem remembering to clean out the mailbow occasionally.  Sounds like an incredible trip!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
I may be talking myself out of a spot BUT

IF you love beautiful country,

IF you want to hunt with a hard working outfitter that knows his bears,

IF you want your outfitter to know what a traditional bow hunter needs to be successful and is a traditional hunter (look out for Gary and his Pearson Hunter) himself,

IF you want a good chance at a color phase bear,

IF your idea of excitement is to be on the ground and 10 - 12 yards from a bear,

IF you want to eat well,

IF you want an excellent hands-on experience in learning to build quality self bows,

IF you want an enjoyable experience,  

THEN

you really need to give this opportunity a serious thought.

Rick (I have hunted with Gary on two occasions and scheduling a third even as I write)

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »
TTT - for Ted and Gary.  If the picture shows up, this is my bear from two years ago.  Rick  webshots

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 08:23:00 PM »
Nice Bear..... Ted, I wish I had the money.. Bows, Bear's and camp BS, what else could you ask for...and at a great price... Hopefully next year I can do it..

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
You are killing me Ted!!! I am going to talk with my wife in the morning when I get home from work. I am not sure we can afford this trip, but I would certainly love to go. This would qualify as a trip of a lifetime for me. I hope I can find a way to pay for this trip. Talk with you soon. Thanks for making this available to Trad Gang members first.
Shawn

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
Remember guys , only 1/2 due now , the rest in May. Thanks for the great endorsment Rick and Angelo . Rick , I remember that bear as well as all the others you had at that bait , that was bear nirvana. What a great spot .

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
Man Area 10, I have some great memories hunting elk and stalking bear there.  It's is absolutely beautiful country.

Probably don't want to muddy my poor brain with another bow class but might want to come hunt bear sometime.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »
Sorry guys need to bring this up again . Wingnut , let me know when you are ready .

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Ted,

Looks like Tom and I will be out there for the first hunt this year.  Hopefully we will get into the really big guys coming out of their dens first.

Rick

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »
Great Rick , look forward to hunting with you again , I have a spot in mind for you , big smart old bear that beat us last fall . We will give him a go early this year.
Tom is hunting lion with Gary right now , hope he gets one, he is due.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 05:45:00 PM »
Flax for bow strings!!!! I remember what it was I forgot about the other night Ted. Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll call later.

Wingnut, I'll tell you all about how purty it is there after me and Charlie get back from hunting with Ted this Spring!  :bigsmyl:  CK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Curtis,

Remember the place I told you about where I called in 28 bulls in 8 days.  Look around when you get there.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
Mike , that was probably before the Wolf intro, still good elk hunting but not like that . Good way to get a wolf to come in is bugle , they come running. A buddy of mine bugled in three in one day this last fall .
Elk are kinda figuring all that out , lets see , bugle and wolves show up , guess I wont do that.
We are just changing our tactics with good results.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
Ted, my buddy and I are both planning an Idaho DIY bear hunt for the spring.  I just sent him an e-mail asking if he is interested in your hunt - I am extremely interested for both the bears and to learn how to make selfbows, and those dates fit perfectly into my schedule, but we are both on tight budgets and may not be able to afford it.  What beautiful country!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©