3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!  (Read 14189 times)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
Maybe you have been good this year Jeff and Santa will be good to you . Do I have to get out more photos and torture you guys more . Three spots left.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
Yep Ted it was before the wolves and the big winter.  Seems that calf recruitment is in the minus catagory.  But I keep hopeing it will come back like it used to be.

Man it was fun.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Is this a draw hunt or a guarenteed tag?

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
Not to step into Ted's thread, but it is a two bear area.  I believe that this year the price for the hunt includes the cost of license and tags.  This will be my third year at camp.  Rick

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
Yes Rick you are correct this hunt includes your lic. and tag , So yes JD it is a guaratee that you will get a tag, as a matter of fact you will get two. Hey you just gave me an idea , we could advertise 100% succes on tags. Thanks for answering for me Rick

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
Ted: I just got the Mrs.’s to say yes, I'd better book before she wakes up and realizes I wasn't asking her if she wanted cream in her coffee  ;)    I will call you @ 10:00am,  and you can plan on me driving through Lo Lo pass on down the Lochsa to join you late may.  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Andrew

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Andrew , I look forward to spending a week building bows and chasing bears with you.
Two spots left guys and one of those is hanging by a thread.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
Man, this is killing me...  How much do my kids really need those pesky college funds...?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
Ted, per our phone conversation, I need a little more assistance than that which is provided by a master bowyer. Can you put on your marital counseling hat and call my wife (you offered!). We already have the selfbow class approved, just a little more to help Mrs. Welch understand....... Although she may just say to heck with me and want to go herself.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »
Ted-
Do you think this will happen again the following year?

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
Viking , I did speak with she who must be obeyed,
Funny thats what she said ,"heck with Sean I want to come".
I planted the seed brother , now its up to you to water the field.
David , it is my hope and dream to do this again next year, better wait to see if all these guys come home before you book.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
My buddy and I can't afford it this year; this package is well worth it but we are too poor.  Maybe next year!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
Ted, will folks be hunting with the bows they make?  I'm not quite getting the timing on that -- seems there's be several days of bowmaking before they're finished enough for hunting...  Or do folks bring hunting bows, hunt with their gear, and make bows when they're not on stand?

Are stone points legal in Idaho?  Thanks in advance!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Yes Woody , they will bring the hunting gear they are comfortable with and build bows in the morning before heading out for the evening hunt.
Yes stone points are legal in ID . The mountain lion on our web page was one I shot a few years ago with a flint head I made mounted to a wild rose shaft. Someday I think it would be fun to do a hunt where you brought all the material and had to build your stuff before going hunting.
Better bring food along just in case.Sorry you cant make it Jeff , save your pennies for next year.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »
So Ted here’s what I’m thinking for my setup.   Either the 59# Bull Snake self bow with some Raptor Raven special bear arrows and Magnus points, or…… The Black Douglas with the #63 limbs Beeman MFX classic 340 arrows with 100grn brass inserts screw in stinger 4 blade 150’s for a gross arrow weight 600+/- grains or 200 grain razor caps for a GAW of 650+/-grns. I got a lotta time to practice with either, both are fun….. Life is good!!!!!!!!!    :bigsmyl:   Sorry guys just a little excited, I hope some others jump on board.    :archer:      :archer:      :archer:
Andrew

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
Hey Ted,  Sounds like a great hunt.  Is this the same area Tom Phillips elk hunted?

Sorry you won't be able to make the Quebec bear hunt this year.  We have an all traditional group heading up last week of June.  Six tradgangers and and 4-5 compounders that are switching to All traditional  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »
Hey Jeff , good to see your still out there.
Yes the same area, further down in the big canyon as the area Tom was in will be under a ton of Snow . Gary was in there hunting Mt. lion yesterday and said there was over 7 feet of snow.
Nobody said I wouldnt make it to Quebec just gonna be tight if I can as I will be coming out of the 6 weeks of being in the Weitas guiding.
I always figured that it was better to ask forgiveness rather than permision when it came to hunts , however my wife of 17 yrs has pointed out I am real close to using up all my forgiveness. I hope that it will fall together that I can make it on the hunt but at this point only God knows that.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Ted,  Just tell your wife that Quebec is a busniess trip. Some of the new coverts away from wheels might just like to learn about making some bows after a night of watching bears!  Plus I know I could use a refresher course  :)   A couple of our Pow Wow moderators (JC & Bob Walker) will be there too.

Woody,  If you can't make Ted's hunt, visit your in laws the last week of June.  You can drive up to Quebec with me...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
PS...Woody

Tom Phillips has already taken a black bear with one of Ted's stone points...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©