3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!  (Read 14227 times)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
You might have an idea there Jeff .
Andrew , I want you to shoot what you feel comfortable shooting a black bear at less than ten yards on the ground. I of course would love it if it was that bullsnake bow I made you but you get to decide, you shoot what you want to .
Boy Jeff I remember the night Tom did that , I was in the tree with him filming, I about blew up from excitement being the camera man rather than the shooter . What a bear that was, Tom made a perfect shot.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
OK gotta bring this back up . The one guy hanging by a thread cant make it , sorry to see Nathan but I understand.
So there are two spots left, we are going to go even if those spots dont get filled but it would be more fun with four guys , so step up unless you guys want more pictures . Two spots left.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
OK you guys asked for it .

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »
Heres another one, building a bow in camp

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
And if that wasnt enough.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
Here is a picture of the main cabin with a couple of the bunk cabins in back . This cabin was made in 1928 and served for years as a Forest Service fire camp. We regularly have Moose and Elk come in and feed on the front lawn. ice fire camp.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
Ted what was the overall sucess rate for hunters last year.  With 2 tags available i'm assuming getting one bear if you arn't picky is really likely and then one can hold the second tag for a trophy size animal.  Also do you guys ever follow the spring snow line up for spot and stalk hunts?
Andrew

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
Here is a small color phase bear I shot with a recurve, first of only two animals I have shot with a recurve. I knew it was smaller but didnt hesitate when I saw the color . This one was great eating as well. at eating as well.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
Beautiful Bear!

Sure wish I could go..

Robert
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2006, 02:31:00 PM »
Dang Ted pretty bear. Well you have two MT guys coming, others would be nice for the campfire BS but I'm sure we are gonna have a great time. Maybe some easterners will come on out, the Selway is just such a magical place.  It will be the first camping trip for me that year and what a way to get the spring/summer started!!!!!
Andrew

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
Beautiful bear and an awful nice Border!  I'm guessing shedua and ebony?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
Andrew , Everyone last year had chances , not all got bears but that was not because there were no bears. That 8-10 yard shot can be pretty tricky sometimes. We do follow the snow line up and do have some good spot and stalk areas if interested. But I for one enjoy the sitting at the bait and being that close to bears, if I shoot or not is up to me, sometimes I enjoy just watching. Yes Woody you are correct on the wood.
OK guys only one spot left , welcome aboard Paul.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
Woody,  I can tell you are dieing to join us.  I know you are a Borders fan as well as a knife maker/flint knapper, I believe Idaho game laws would let you use some of those pretty self knapped points!!!  You should jump on in, maybe Ted would give you some trade value for a couple of nice flint blade knives for his shop, just a thought.    :campfire:
Andrew

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
Ted, How many groups does the outfitter have coming through befoe us?  Here in my part of Montana the spring bear season will already be over, it's almost like the want the bears still denning until it ends, the week you've got for us seems like it oughta be one of the best.
Andrew

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Ted,

As if I wasn't having a hard enough time with not being able to go, you have to go and post those pictures.  I am already saving money for next year.  Hope you guys have fun!

Nathan

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2006, 05:33:00 PM »
I will be out there for the first hunt of the year.  It is my third time with Gary.  I have done the first full week of June in the past and look forward to the hunt in a different type of weather condition.  Rick

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »
Andrew , we hunt new territory each week as we move up the mountains as snow melt allows . So the area one group hunts most likely wont be the area another has hunted . If we have a good site and bears are still there we continue to hunt there . Most of the time the bears move up with the snow. We do have some good spots for spot and stalk but most is pretty brushy, By the week we will be hunting, yes thats right I am going to try to hunt that week as well , all the other weeks I am the guide, the snow will be ( hopefully) high enough you could hunt the open meadows stalking if you choose as the bears are feeding in the grass. Nathan , sorry bud didnt want to cause you stress , but think of the excitement you will enjoy all year dreaming of going next year.
Rick , going that first week the trip in can be an adventure all its own, look forward to seeing you there in the spring, I will have a set up for you like last spring , up close and personal.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
Ted, Have you filled the last spot yet,  If not let me know I've got someone I'm working on?
Andrew

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
Well folks , the class for 2007 is full,welcome aboard Phil Floyd . We will start booking for the 2008 class after the fall hunting season and if this goes as well as I feel it will we may offer a fall class and hunt also.
So keep in mind for all of you that couldnt put it together this year spring 2008 will be here before you know it .
Of course we will be doing a running account of the bear hunt /selfbow class for all of you here on Trad Gang. Have a great new year and get ready for spring boys.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
OK guys looks as though one spot opened up, sorry your boss wont let you have the time off Phil. So now is your chance if you were kicking yourself for not jumping on it , first one to call gets on board.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©