3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!  (Read 14190 times)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunt/ selfbow workshop FILLED!
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
OK Im sure everyone is getting tired of this post so this is the last time to the top for me . Thanks for your patience all .

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Aw heck, I can't hold out any more... I'm in.
An all Tradgang crew of hunters and Ted says he can show me how to make yew bend too.

Offline Greyfox54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
I've been away and missed this , if anyone backs out I'm in . Let me know , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2007, 12:56:00 PM »
There you go guys, Shaun welcome aboard.
Marc and Fred I will let you know if there are any cancelations. Start planning for 2008 hunt and class. We will start booking for this mid summer 2007 , if we get enough response we will do two weeks. Thanks all

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
Tag Filled!

Heard from Lois Fry (Ted's wife) yesterday that the selfbow workshop - bear hunt is going well and Ted took a little time away from teaching the selfbow class and harvested a bear at 7 yards. His youngest son Jesse, is up helping Ted out but evidently was back in camp when Ted took his bear. A big congrats to Ted, learning how to make a selfbow and hunting bears with Weitas Creek in some of the most beautiful country Idaho has to offer! Some guys have the luck.

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Selfbows Finished!  

Heard yesterday that all of the folks attending the selfbow workshop with Ted Fry out in Idaho finished up their bows and are hunting with them! Good luck to all the fellas out there with their bear hunt. Building a selfbow in hunting camp then immediately taking it to the field to try at harvesting a bear. What a way to break in a new selfbow!

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Excellent!
Sure wish I could go.
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Slim Buttes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Well I was there, Steve, (don't know what he goes by on this site), killed a bear with his bow he just finished that day, no arrow rest or anything. It was a great time and a great group of folks to hunt with. Met Charlie and Curtis on at the trail head, they are are going to have a great time.

Steve, Paul, and Andrew if you read this I am in Dixie right now a couple hours after we left Kamiah, WOW it is beautiful. Later.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
We had a great trip, and the bows all amazingly came out great!  Bears were not a cooperative as we all had hoped for but hunting is called hunting and not killing just for that reason.  Steve, Paul and Mark were fantastic guys and just reinforced my belief that the caliber if people on this site is really unusually high.   I think if you include the bears that Ted and Steve killed we saw a total of 6 bears and heard one more.  The good news is the bears started to move a little more during the daylight the last day we were there and that bodes well for Charlie, Curtis and the next group. Of the six bears sighted 3 were on the last day.  Steve dropped me off at home in Missoula @ around 6 pm just out of time for the St. Jude’s thing, oh well better timing next year.  There were a lot of bears out there but I think the full moon and strange weather (from freezing rain the first night to heat wave the remainder of the week) had an impact on their daytime activity.  I was lucky enough to see Snow Shoe hares, a Pine Martin, an Elk cow, a Fisher, WT Does and Bucks, and finally the last night one really spooky Bear from the hide/stands.  The food was enormous and now I am 5 pounds heavier, Ted was a pleasure to spend time with and his son Jesse is a real good kid (and not too bad in a snowball fight   :readit:   ).  The Weitas Creek bunch is an honest hard working outfit.  Gary and Toby busted their butts to make things happen for us and seemed really surprised that it was as slow as it was more on the hunt later.  Mark and Paul drive safely you boys have a long way to go, Steve thanks for the ride again and make sure to get you wife to help you unload that bear you don’t want to throw your back out.   BTW guys Steve blasted that bear with a bow that doesn’t even have the finish sanding work done, string silencers or handle and shelf.  He did one heck of a job getting that bear and all of us were just plumb proud and grateful he got it done.  :archer:
Andrew

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Lois Fry called me the other night, Ted has been in touch with her from Idaho via satellite phone. The bear hunt self bow class went very well and the students hunted with their new bows. Lois told me that Ted's friend Curtis Kellar (and friend of many here at TG) took a nice bear. Congratulations to Curtis and the gang and hopefully we will see some photos after they come out.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Excellent! Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see pictures of Curtis and his bear!

:campfire:
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©