3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME, single bevel broadhead sharpening  (Read 109 times)

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
KME, single bevel broadhead sharpening
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I searched posts on the POWWOW re: sharpening broadheads and found some pertaining to the KME knife sharpener which I recently purchased for sharpening single bevel heads (Grizzly's and Tuffheads).  The Tuffheads are pretty sharp brand new but I have one which has been used for target practice and one which has gone through a shoulder and heavy bone of a whitetail.  I hear Ron at KME knows his business, but figured I check with my brethren hear on Trad Gang.    Tell me the secrets to using the KME knife sharpener on Single Bevel and other broadheads, please?  One thing about the KME and the Tuffheads:  Tuffheads are supposed to be 25 degree  Single Bevels but I have to set it at the absolute top on the rod-guide to get it to hit the edge of the blade.  The Tuffheads were just purchased in August.  Please halp!!

Thanks, TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME, single bevel broadhead sharpening
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Ron is the best to explain this but I'll throw out a couple things.

1.Black the bevel with a Sharpie
2.Adjust the KME till you have the best angle to match your bevel.
3.Stay with the coarsest stone until the entire length of the edge is sharp and has a burr.This is important.Don't go to the next finer stone till that edge is complete.
4.It gets easier after that.A little pressure is OK with a rough blade and on the coarse stone but after that,little pressure,especially toward the end,with the finer stones,just about no pressure.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Jim nailed it...if you don't get the rolled edge on the opposite side first on the coarse, the rest is spitting in the wind.

Don't ask how I know...Ron is very patient person, and it took me a while to listen right...

Once you get it... and run thru the stones, strop on regular cardboard, not leather.  

once you've got the burr then flip it and go FORWARD only... to just remove the burr... then back to the single bevel side and polish it up... lightly.  Whaooo.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Really need to get a big file and a KME broadhead sharpener for all two blade heads. I fought sharpening for years until I had the broadhead sharpener. Much faster. I start my Grizzly's on a big bastard file with my broadhead sharpener after putting the black marker on the cutting edge. I can get a burr much faster on the file than with a course stone. If its taking metal from the shoulder and not the cutting edge I will continue on the file until the cutting edge has an even burr on it all the way up the blade. Once I have that I put it on a diamond stone and knock the burr off with a few light strokes on the other side of the head. Then go back and forth a few times very lightly and you will get that Grizzly nasty sharp.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©