3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow for my wife!  (Read 169 times)

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow for my wife!
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I had the neatest thing happen this evening.  I was out shooting before dark in preparation for tomorrow's hunt.  AS I was walking back down the driveway my wife joined me and said, can I learn to play too!  I was floored!!  Up to this point she had not indicated any interest even though I had brought up the subject several times.  She explained that now the kids have moved away she would like to explore traditional archery, and besides I always look like I am having so much fun!  So.... I need some help/suggestions!  All of my bows are too heavy for her so there really is no way for me to check what weight or draw length would be appropriate.  In addition, there are no local bow shops that can assist.  I am thinking 35# @ 24-26" draw length, 58 - 60" bow (my wife is 5' 5").  Not sure if a longbow or recurve is better.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow for my wife!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
In the beginning people tend to try and pull with their arms and not use their upper back.They will not be able to pull as well. I have found ladies start out between 25-30 #.Their draw will likely get a bit longer when they learn proper form.I love hunting and shooting with my wife and daughter.Have fun but above all be patient with her and keep her enjoying it.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I should have mentioned to look at our Spike youth recurve on our website.Great ladies bow as well and not a big hole in your pocket.If i can assist you two let me know.
Mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
yup.... I'm with Mike on the poundage. 35 is typically to much for a gal just getting started.

i too would be more than happy to build something for her to get started on.   Kirk

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:00 AM »
I bought my wife a 40#er @ 28" to start with.  She has done well with it and it is legal to hunt with when the time comes.
It is sure fun to shoot with the ones you love.  My whole family will be outside haveing some kind of contest.  We will shoot until dark trying to get the better shot...

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Dan, That is indeed good news! Always nice for a family member to get interested in this great sport. May I suggest our St. Joe River 56" longbow that I specifically designed for people like your wife. We have poundages in stock of 26@26, 30@26 and 34@26. It really is hard to say which would be best for her so I suggest you take advantage of our test- drive program. That way she can try it out and if it isn't right she can send it back and try another. Or now having knowledge of what will work she can order a custom bow that is perfect for her.
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Take full advantage of this. I also started hunting with mine last year and it is a grate way to spend time together.

I bought Carrie a 40 lb Martin Jaguar. It is inexpensive, shoots well, and you get additional limbs for $99.00 each set.

It will give her something to start with so she can discover what she like and  dislikes. Then when she is ready to settle in to a more expensive bow she has some reference.

Good luck and enjoy hunting together!
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I say that is a good trade. Come on somebody had to say it.    :biglaugh:  

It is cool that your wife wants to join you in shooting. Good luck finding something for her.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's input here  Chester, I appreciate the sense of humor!  By the way, I read your website and it made me wish I was a kid again (well at least in age! (LOL)

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
My wife shoots a Hummingbird that was made for her 25#@24" 60"  Boy does her bow shoot an arrow. Get a bow that is made for a lady and not a man. She will enjoy it and love to shoot with you all the time.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Craig, thanks for the input.  I have never owned a Hummingbird but from the ones I have seen here they really are beautiful bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©