3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Bow Hunters please be careful  (Read 603 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Bow Hunters please be careful
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
If we had a youth bow hunt during bow season and a youth gun hunt during gun season???? they already have that.   :confused:   are you saying adults should not hunt for 2 days in the middle of their respective season?  Maybe we should let kids gun hunt for 2 days then start gun season??? then the idea of a couple kids in the wood s in October doesn't sound so bad any more.   :dunno:  

There have been a lot of good points made here.

In Wisconsin, they had a doe only season in the middle of October.  Deer would go nocturnal but once the rut kicked in and it got cold, it was business as usual.  I find it hard to believe a couple kids toting guns will ruin the season.  maybe some people are more concerned "their buck" will get killed by someone else   :dunno:  

In all fairness we have had 2 weeks already!

Chuck, I hope you and Tyler have a great hunt with whatever weapon you chose!

I like the thought of kids hunting at camps. those are some of my fondest memories but camp was also about drinking and farting. dont get me wrong, I miss camp and will go back but probably not to hunt. I dont like the idea of being in the woods with some of those guys.

I think its important for the mentor to NOT be shooting also.  In many camps everyone opens fire and the gun to go off last before the deer falls is "the winner".  the one on one approach theoretically helps teach kids proper safety and responsibility, without the competition of groups situations.

I think if bowhunters were smart they would use this to their advantage as kids will not sit as long.  put in an all day sit on escape routes.  If there are that many people in the woods, you will fill your tag.  I have seen hundreds of deer on opening mornings that have walked right under me after being pushed.

I see nothing wrong with having the early youth hunt. as for the specifics.... Ron, sorry about your does.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I'm sorry LongStick, But simply put...

It is SELFISH!!! and it is NOT about TIMING!!!

What it is... is that a FEW bowhunters are afraid, That for a FEW days, That a FEW kids with guns, are going to ruin there hunting!!!!!

It is about a few kids getting a chance to get out for a special hunt, BEFORE the usual opening day mess, that most here complain about.

Just alittle background on me... I have been bowhunting since 1976. I killed my 1st deer on the 1st sat of the 1976 bow season, and my 2nd deer on the 1st sat of the 1977 bow season, on my Grandfathers farm in Morrisville,N.Y. (Madison Co.) They were both does. Shooting does was illegal on the north side of Rt. 20, where my Grandfather's farm was. My Dad hunted 35 years before he killed his 1st deer. (a 210# 6 pointer) When I started bowhunting, I was the only bowhunter for miles!!! I did however have to contend with smallgame hunters every day... Trust me, deer do not like to be kicked out of a standing corn field by pheasant hunters with dogs!!!!! However, they took it in stride and headed for the nearest woodlot, untill the hunters were gone..... Then they moved right back in!!!

I killed my first few deer with an old Bear Alaskan recurve and wood arrows with Bear razorheads. I shot compounds in the late 1980's then back to "traditional" in the 1990's.

Over the years, I have encountered more bowhunters, and fewer small game hunters. The biggest thing that I have seen disturb deer is not gunfire... but pressure from people who walk through the woods disturbing their feeding/beding routine.

I gun hunt at times, however more and more, I bowhunt during gun season. This year Tyler is 13. The law states that he can bowhunt for deer, during both the bow and regular gun season. (providing that I also bowhunt, when accompanying him) Opening day of gun season this year, we will BOTH be carrying our Bear recurves!!!

and the gun hunters won't bother us a bit!!!  :archer:    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
When I was growing up, every day was youth season.  If it was turkey season, my Dad would let me shoot first.  If it was deer season, I still got to shoot first.  Anytime we went hunting, I got to shoot first.  Now we need a special season just to take kids?  I'm all for taking kids hunting and introducing them to the outdoors, but wasn't that the reason behind the Saturday opener?  I know that us hunters are all on the same team, but I don't agree with this special hunt either.  Just take a kid hunting.  We shouldn't need a special season telling us to.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Actualy Ron, The legal age has been dropped to 14. These kids will be able to hunt on opening day,(and the rest of the season) it just gives them an early start.
That is the part that makes no sense to me. They can hunt already during the regular season with the same supervision. Sure maybe this gives them a little better chance due to it not being "in" the gun season but if that is the only motivation then have it the weekend prior to gun season rather than messing with the bowhunting season. That would work even in those pressured areas.

Just my thoughts.
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
Here in Alabama our youth hunts during regular season have produced a few deaths,coming from one hunter shooter another that wasn't wearing orange.I've followed this post and all he said was be careful,wear orange this weekend,good advice young hunters sometimes get antsy even with adult supervision,you all take care.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
The reason NY went to a Saturday opening day for rifle was so the kids could hunt without taking off from school.It didnt work and to put the youth gun hunt during bow season wasnt smart IMO but it is what it is.The DEC should worry more about making sure the kids see deer when they hunt so they wont be bored out of the hunting way of life.
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Bob, thats a good  point.  When I was a kid, it was normal for most of the class to miss school during our 9 day firearm season.teachers just showed movies and babysat for the kids that were there. It was expected, if you hunt, you would miss school provided you had at least a c average.

Times have changed.

I don't agree or disagree with the early gun season but as of 11 am today, I heard ONE distant shot. I find it hard to figure that there all that many kids in the woods anyhow.

How many Deer rifles have you heard this weekend?  I dont think this early youth hunt will make a lick of difference in MOST people's hunting.  Sure, there's always an exception but I think there's more important things to worry about like What's for lunch   :dunno:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
well said wetfeathers.  There would be no support whatsoever if some of the regular gun season was being put aside for this.  Instead of bowhnuters being labeled as selfish for not giving up time, there would be 'selfish gun hunters' not giving up time.

Thankfully I have a father that did exactly what you stated, when I went, I got first shot each and every time or I got the best watch, starting with rabbits in front of our beagles.  30+ years later I am still hunting.  When I was legal to hunt, I skipped the first day of school unless we were in the sectionals for football (did not want to miss practice) and still managed to graduate 3rd in my class.  When I started turkey hunting in my early 20's, the guy that took me gave me first crack and showed me the ropes.  Did not have an early 20 something season for him to do it either....he did it on his own, without the DEC telling him to.  Need a few more people like that guy and my father.
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I think you are correct, Charlie.  I drove around a bit yesterday in the rain and didn't see anyone in Happy Vally hunting.  It's an 8500 acre piece of State land.  I was out hunting this morning and heard a couple shots way out in the distance.  I did watch 2 smaller bucks that were out of my range for a good 15 minutes.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Martin, you are absolutely correct.  We need a few more guys like your dad and your buddy.  And mine!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
You folks back and up north are a little luckier than those of us in Texas, as there is no age limit for the kids as far as younger. What always got me irked was the dad that would bring in his 4/5 year old petite little daughter with a 160/180 buck that "she" had killed with a 300 Win.Mag or 375 H&H!! Really!!! Dad just used this to jump the gun and harvest the big boy before some of the other lease members that had to wait on general season. I saw it way to many times. If they want to have a youth weekend, I'm all for it, but let it be the first 2 weekends in the general gun season.
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Martin, your father is a GREAT man, we could use a few more like him. If we did, desk workers in albany wouldn't think of ways to give kids an edge.

I could tell with the way you worked with your kids that maybe your ole man rubbed off on you.

My father was the same way with me. you just don't see that as much these days which is sad. I applaud all the fathers, uncles, grandpa's and friends that take kids afield and teach them how to be an ethical and safe hunter.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I asked the DEC why dont they just make the youth hunt Sat and Sun and go back to the traditional Monday opener?
They said it would be a legal nightmare.
Yes Charlie things definetly have changed.IMO not for the better.
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
think the youth season is dumb,  I didnt get a special deer season and im hooked on deer hunting. Plus that isnt even young youth, I was thinking younger.   anyways I hunt private land and ended up getting sick anyways so im sitting out  :(
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
I asked the DEC why dont they just make the youth hunt Sat and Sun and go back to the traditional Monday opener?

When I proposed that as the president of NYB, I was told they could not make 600,000 gun hunters unhappy.....

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie.  I have already 'given up' a few hunts so that my boys could go and the oldest is 10, can't even hunt yet.  But wanted to get them out there because they wanted to go.  Been doing that since he was 5 and will continue to do so as long as they have the interest.

Since the move to NC (boys and wife coming in Nov.), one of the first questions from the boys --- Dad, did you get a deer camp yet?  

Was here less than 2 weeks and that is what they were worried about.

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by adkarcher:

When I proposed that as the president of NYB, I was told they could not make 600,000 gun hunters unhappy.....
I'd rather that answer than the one I got.LOL.Just goes to show they cater to gun hunters.Always have and always will.Money is the only thing that matters to the state.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Martin, your father is a GREAT man, we could use a few more like him. If we did, desk workers in albany wouldn't think of ways to give kids an edge.

I could tell with the way you worked with your kids that maybe your ole man rubbed off on you.

My father was the same way with me. you just don't see that as much these days which is sad. I applaud all the fathers, uncles, grandpa's and friends that take kids afield and teach them how to be an ethical and safe hunter.
X2!!!
I was thinking about your dad this morning.  He told me that I pass thru his hometown about every week-end in the fall when going up to a friend's camp in Benseon and he invited me for a cup of coffee.  I might just take him up on the offer.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Woodchucker, I must not have made myself clear. My point was the mentoring you mention is best done in NORMAL conditions, with other hunters... ie, deer camp, deer season... and during a longer season not a 3 day kid activity. I have seen the SELFISH used here and you are missing the point. We may just disagree on what is BEST for the kids is all aspects of the hunt.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Here,Here, fmscan!!! We agree, to disagree...

That's what makes this place so GREAT!!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©